Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A few points from a moderator...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:51 am 

Ok, last time there was a disagreement, the mods tried to handle it through private message, one party thought they were being singled out, and it ended up with them leaving the board. So this time, I'm going to say everything I have to say publicly.

1. Animal, palushock: you two obviously can't get along. The name calling and attacks are getting ridiculous, and I personally am sick of reading your bickering on every single thread. If you can't have a respectful disagreement, do not reply to each other. I'm generally strongly against censorship, but I am going to start deleting your replies to each other. So make it easier on everyone and just ignore each other.

2. Language: I don't know what the right course is here. Everyone, including myself, likes to drop an F bomb from time to time, but lets try to keep this limited. And this goes beyond obscenities and includes homphobic language and other "borderline" insults. Again, I don't want to start deleting posts because of this, but excessive swearing and personal attacks is a good way to get me to start.

3. BH: if you have a problem with the way the moderators run the board, then by all means we don't want to force you to stay. Find somewhere else to antagonize. That will be my last statement to you on the matter. I should hope that it was also your last statement on the issue as well.

Here's the deal- treat this board as you would your favorite establishment (I'll avoid the bar comparisons for those to young to drink). Its great to get together, discuss things, and even get into arguments. But if someone starts acting like an @sshole, they will get thrown out. Its that simple. There are quite a few people nearing that point, IMO. BuccoBoy has the ultimate authority on that matter.

And spare me the "can't we all just get along" quotes (and/or images).

Post subject: Re: A few points from a moderator...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:34 am 

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:00 pm 

Thank you. I was getting rather tired of the juvenile pot-shots people were taking at each other.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:23 pm 

Agree. Thank you. I think we should refrain from personal attacks as a rule of thumb. It would make for a better community.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:40 pm 

Thanks BBF...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:13 pm 

Willton wrote:
Thank you. I was getting rather tired of the juvenile pot-shots people were taking at each other.

Was that directed at me??

Okay, it's on now, $#@^*&#&!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:57 pm 

Let me add that I fully agree with everything BBF has laid out. For those of you who are newer, this is not MY board. It's the community's board. But I have taken on the role of maintaining it with the only mission being this be a place for Pirates fans to meet and discuss baseball (along with other things in it's appropriate forum). I have moderated message boards for over a decade and I keep my personal feelings out of it. I will do things that are best for the community to keep the discussions on target in a civil manner.

It's sad this has to be posted, but honestly if you don't like it, take it elsewhere. And for the trolls (and you know who you are), you are very close to being dismissed again. This board is for Pirate fans, not lobbyists.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:02 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:

To give this thread legitimacy and recognize it as a very important thread addressed to the membership.... :mrgreen: ........
I will now add some thoughtful smilies......

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:04 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:

No, I dont think that was directed toward you bucfan, but I think BBF's comment about no graphics was a shot at you and me too...

Quote:

I guess he doesnt like Youtube clips of Kumbaya I found...haha

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:32 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:

Mutha &*#$#%! You goin' down, b*^%$!

I'm on a boat!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:33 pm 

I must be losing it. When I read this thread I thought it said "A few points from a molester." I am sure glad I misunderstood!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:35 pm 

Willton wrote:
I'm on a boat!

Heh ... and here I am!!

Yeah, okay, it looks like the Disney submarine but it is scary well-armed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:32 pm 

BBF wrote:
Ok, last time there was a disagreement, the mods tried to handle it through private message, one party thought they were being singled out, and it ended up with them leaving the board. So this time, I'm going to say everything I have to say publicly.

1. Animal, palushock: you two obviously can't get along. The name calling and attacks are getting ridiculous, and I personally am sick of reading your bickering on every single thread. If you can't have a respectful disagreement, do not reply to each other. I'm generally strongly against censorship, but I am going to start deleting your replies to each other. So make it easier on everyone and just ignore each other.

2. Language: I don't know what the right course is here. Everyone, including myself, likes to drop an F bomb from time to time, but lets try to keep this limited. And this goes beyond obscenities and includes homphobic language and other "borderline" insults. Again, I don't want to start deleting posts because of this, but excessive swearing and personal attacks is a good way to get me to start.

3. BH: if you have a problem with the way the moderators run the board, then by all means we don't want to force you to stay. Find somewhere else to antagonize. That will be my last statement to you on the matter. I should hope that it was also your last statement on the issue as well.

Here's the deal- treat this board as you would your favorite establishment (I'll avoid the bar comparisons for those to young to drink). Its great to get together, discuss things, and even get into arguments. But if someone starts acting like an @sshole, they will get thrown out. Its that simple. There are quite a few people nearing that point, IMO. BuccoBoy has the ultimate authority on that matter.

Good maybe the attacks on me will stop now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:51 pm 

Ryann wrote:

They will when you quit acting like you win every argument you have on this board.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:58 pm 

Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:

They will when you quit acting like you win every argument you have on this board.

Is that an attack Wilton??

:lol:

I think the mods need to define the difference between an attack and just giving it to someone who is telling obvious lies and trying to come across with opinion like they are facts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:52 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Let me add that I fully agree with everything BBF has laid out. For those of you who are newer, this is not MY board. It's the community's board. But I have taken on the role of maintaining it with the only mission being this be a place for Pirates fans to meet and discuss baseball (along with other things in it's appropriate forum). I have moderated message boards for over a decade and I keep my personal feelings out of it. I will do things that are best for the community to keep the discussions on target in a civil manner.

It's sad this has to be posted, but honestly if you don't like it, take it elsewhere. And for the trolls (and you know who you are), you are very close to being dismissed again. This board is for Pirate fans, not lobbyists.

You guys run this board better than any other message board i have ever been apart of or even viewed, all the way up to the official boards.
I do think there is something though that alot of posters aren't understanding right now. Arguing and disagreeing is always going to be a part of a message board, but what should not be a part is when you bring the arguement from one thread into another, and that has been a big problem as of late.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
You guys run this board better than any other message board i have ever been apart of or even viewed, all the way up to the official boards.
I do think there is something though that alot of posters aren't understanding right now. Arguing and disagreeing is always going to be a part of a message board, but what should not be a part is when you bring the arguement from one thread into another, and that has been a big problem as of late.

Did Nutting tell you to post that?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Seriously, I couldn't agree more with this point. Well said, Colin.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:14 pm 

Animal wrote:
Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Is that an attack Wilton??

:lol:

I think the mods need to define the difference between an attack and just giving it to someone who is telling obvious lies and trying to come across with opinion like they are facts.

No, I don't think anyone has a problem with the attacking of poorly conceived opinions with no factual support. Carry on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:23 am 

Ryann wrote:
BBF wrote:

They have to.
According to this moderator, no more of that shenanigans will be tolerated, ever again.!!!
I am just curious to see how long it takes , after a difference of opinion, for someone to call another a mother effer, moron, a hole, mindless, clueless , or just take your pick of another expletive.
I will be just as curious how many days i will be able to see those words in a comment, ,without a portion , or the entire nonacceptable comments being deleted for eternity.
What's good for the goose, should be good for the gander, as the saying goes.
Hope the moderator doesn't have 25 sets of rules for 25 different guys, like some major league managers.

Only time will tell.
BTW i did not use these words to refer to anyone, or any group in particular. That being said, i hope this post does not fall under the "this idiot must be censored categorie".
Again, only time will tell.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:40 am 

If you don't like how the board is run, you can leave.