Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jeff Larish/Tigers Joe Mather/Cardinals
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:38 am 

It was cool to see two local guys make their ML debuts last night. Jeff Larish you may recall, is the former ASU player who hit 3 HR in one CWS game several years ago. He is a Tempe guy and his mother is an adaptive PE teacher in the same district that I work in. I just had lunch with her last week and she thinks his best bet is to get traded. If he does the job, my hunch is they get rid of Sheffield and keep the young guys.

I also taught with Joe Mather's mother. He has been a real late bloomer and has good power. From looking at his numbers, he has really cut down on his K's.

With the calling up of Doug Mathis, Rangers pitcher, there are now 3 players in MLB who played for the same club ball org., the Pilots, that No. 1 son played for. Pretty cool.

Post subject: Re: Jeff Larish/Tigers Joe Mather/Cardinals
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:06 pm 

That's cool, Az! I wonder how many of us, like you, know someone whose kid is a successful athlete.

The closest I can come to this.. when I was a kid our preacher's nephew played with the Packers (of course I can't remember his name) and I know some co-workers whose nephew was one of the top rated offensive lineman in the country two years ago, but he got three concussions and his football career is over. It's sad! He never got to play a down at Boston College.

I'm also rooting for a local kid in the White Sox organization, Scott Moviel. He's currently with the Savannah Sand Gnats. He's 6'10." I watched him play high school basketball down the street. He beat our lowly Crawdads last month.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:25 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
With the calling up of Doug Mathis, Rangers pitcher, there are now 3 players in MLB who played for the same club ball org., the Pilots, that No. 1 son played for. Pretty cool.

Certain regions - Arizona, Texas, Florida, California - are rich in baseball talent and have multiple players on club teams that reach the majors. Freddy Sanchez and Jack Wilson played on the same travel ball team in Southern California. Three from the same team is pretty amazing. Very impressive. Did your team lose any games?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:32 pm 

I believe they played tourny games for the Pilots. They also played for the Angels Scout team that has a vague connection to the Pilots. The guy who runs the Pilots is an associate scout with the Angels. I equate that to a guy who doesn't get paid much and has sketchy responsibilities. His main job is running his company FallonSports. I know that Mather and Larish played together but not so sure about Mathis. They were involved about 7-8 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:55 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I believe they played tourny games for the Pilots. They also played for the Angels Scout team that has a vague connection to the Pilots. The guy who runs the Pilots is an associate scout with the Angels.

Did they play at the Peoria sports complex (among others)?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:35 pm 

The Pilots or Larish/Mather? The Pilots had a team in the tourny when you were here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:16 pm 

Mather singled against the Pirates yesterday. He is a big guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:13 pm 

He is 6' 4". Was a SS in high school. Cards first moved him to third and then eventually to the outfield. He is pretty athletic. Was a very good high school basketball player but gave it up after his Jr. year to concentrate on baseball.