Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How would you build the Pirates?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:00 am 

This board tends to permit name calling and profanity depending on who it is being geared to. It is a bit hypocritical.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:14 am 

There are many smart and very knowledgeable members of this board. The appeal to me is not only expressing my opinions but equally important is to get answers to issues which I have limited knowledge. For the board to continue to have value to me, it is extremely important that those voices not go away because some overly emotional people get carried away and become offensive.

So, my objecting to language and very course imaging is not just an issue of me being offended but of discouraging the best and brightest from continuing to post or even read the board. For it to continue to have wide appeal, the moderators most keep some control over the most zealist of it's members.

Everyone must be permitted to offer diverse opinions and have arguments about the various issues surrounding our Pirates but some reasonable amount decency must pervail. I don't mean to offend anyone here, and I talk like a sailor myself, but as my mom always said 'there's a time and a place for everything.'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:41 pm 

curveradio wrote:
Colin, I will apologize to you if I offended you in anyway.. I noticed I did a post on page five..if it was me, I apologize to you..

No you didn't offend me. It was the whole discussion on page 5 that got to me. I'm not mad at anyone.
I just think that there is alot of good baseball conversation on this board, but what seems to stand out is the studity, and i don't want that to be.
Truely i was alittle angry with you and i will explain why.I go to Northwestern University and i will be going into my 4th year at the end of August, I major in sports journalism and sports medicine. I will be attending Medill after i graduate this year. Being in the Chicago area and because of the Tribune Company we research alot on the Cubs.
One of the first assignments we had to do was cover the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx when they were still the Cubs AA team. I think one of the first things i read about the team was an article written in the Cubs magazine by, you guessed it Ron Potesta. It taught me so much about a team that i had no idea about in a very quick time.
Being that i am not in Medill yet me and alot of my classmates get put down all the time( Brent Musburger and Jack Fuller are two of the ones that come to mind), but i get alot of stuff like this all the time
Quote:
hate to break it to you kid.. but there's a reason why you and some of the other idiots spewing your unintellegent baseball garble don't have a job in this game..

That did get me alittle bit, because it isn't what i thought i would hear.
There are alot of great minds on this board that deserved to be been able to attend a school like Medill, but because of money restraints and things like that they couldn't. I just don't want the 3 to 4 people that have no knowledge of reality to clould your vision and not be able to see the 10-15 people that really and truely know what they are talking about.
I am sorry for how i responded and i embarrassed myself by what i said about patting yourself on the back.
I still do and always will have the utmost respect for your curveradio and i am sorry for what i said.

Actually Colin, I owe you and everyone on this board an apology.. For 12 years God has blessed me with an opportunity to live out my dream of being a baseball broadcaster. While I have not made the major leagues (my lifetime goal), I am still in this cut throat business for which I am eternally grateful. I am a fan who has been fortunate and blessed to live my dream of being in baseball.

I have NO RIGHT whatsoever to judge any of you on this message board or in any form of life. I let a couple messages get the better of my judgement and for that I am VERY sorry. I had no right to act like a pompous ass. I just get tired of hearing the negativity, probably because I have put my reputation (what little or big it is) as a baseball broadcaster on the line by falling on the side of Frank and Neil.

I hope everyone (especially you Colin and you Ryann) will forgive me for a momentary lapse of stupidity. I enjoy talking baseball with all of you and while I might not agree with some of the things written..its not like we are saving the world from an economic meltdown, hunger or saving people in Afghanistan or Iraq.

The great thing about this game is if we don't agree..it doesn't matter because in the end we can all have a beer (except you Ryann..I don't serve minors..) and toast this great game..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:47 pm 

Curveman- let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

you are a great asset to this board and should not even consider not participating. I think all of us enjoy the expertise and special knowledge you bring to the board.

Besides, I want to get to Altoona later this summer, see our studs for a weekend, meet you and maybe share a few after your work day ends. Hope I can make that happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:19 pm 

Quote:
you are a great asset to this board and should not even consider not participating. I think all of us enjoy the expertise and special knowledge you bring to the board.

I agree curve that you are one of the best assets we have ever got on this board. Some of the members on the board have had contact with players, broadcasters, and GM's through Twitter, Myspace, Facebook, and things like that, but none have ever actually shown up or shown interest in the board, and just for that i gained alot of respect for you. You have one hell of a busy schedule and you take the time to come and write on our board. I know it is an honor for me and i can guarentee it is an honor for almost everyone here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:18 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
Curveman- let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

Sweet ... Bucfan hears his cue:

Bucfan, being without UPPMB sin, casts the first stone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:59 am 

estrago wrote:
This board tends to permit name calling and profanity depending on who it is being geared to. It is a bit hypocritical.

I agree totally.
I also feel that deleting, and closing off posts are handled in the same exact fashion, by the crack staff of moderators that oversee this board like Castro over Cuba.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:03 am 

curveradio wrote:
Believe me, I LONG for the day when fans have to purchase their tickets in advance to see the Pirates play.. that day is coming..and its a heck of alot sooner than people think..

Can you send me a vile of the stuff you are taking?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:10 am 

Although I'd like to agree with you, I can't see it.

The Bucs just keep dropping further and further into irrevelancy, even in the Pittsburgh sports scene. They've been relegated to just something to occupy the sports pages until Steeler and Penguin camp open up.

And, who can blame the Pittsburgh fans? The Bucs' screwing around has cost them two generations, and working on a third. The young folks, the one's who spend the money on tickets, trinkets, and everything else have found other things and simply do not care.

This year hasn't helped. They've traded what players that the fans they have left relate to for unknown "prospects", and to top it off have shown absolutely no sign of becoming more competitive. They've tanked again.

Personally, I think they have two options. Get serious, or get out. One or the other. If they are not going to get serious about increasing payroll to get better players here, and make a big PR move to show what fans they have left, then they either need to sell the team, move it, or just give up on major league baseball and put a AAA team on the field. They cannot continue to soak the city and the remaining fans indefinitely. They owe all of us more.

People are tired of hearing about 2012, or five year plans, or "ifs", or "whens", or "whatevers". It's time to crap or get off of the pot. The clock is ticking.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:39 am 

If you're so tired of it, do yourself a favor and stop watching.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:07 pm 

palushock wrote:
estrago wrote:

I agree totally.
I also feel that deleting, and closing off posts are handled in the same exact fashion, by the crack staff of moderators that oversee this board like Castro over Cuba.

I'll say this one more time, palushock. If you have a problem with the way this board is being run, please feel free to go away. I can promise you that 99% of us won't have a problem with that.

And honestly, if you can't figure out why the ONE POST was locked, and you really think we are all out to silence poor little palushock, you need to take your delusions and your tin foil helmet to your nearest psychiatrists office asap. Enough with the self-serving whining.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:55 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:

The Bucs just keep dropping further and further into irrevelancy, even in the Pittsburgh sports scene. They've been relegated to just something to occupy the sports pages until Steeler and Penguin camp open up.

And, who can blame the Pittsburgh fans? The Bucs' screwing around has cost them two generations, and working on a third. The young folks, the one's who spend the money on tickets, trinkets, and everything else have found other things and simply do not care.

This year hasn't helped. They've traded what players that the fans they have left relate to for unknown "prospects", and to top it off have shown absolutely no sign of becoming more competitive. They've tanked again.

Personally, I think they have two options. Get serious, or get out. One or the other. If they are not going to get serious about increasing payroll to get better players here, and make a big PR move to show what fans they have left, then they either need to sell the team, move it, or just give up on major league baseball and put a AAA team on the field. They cannot continue to soak the city and the remaining fans indefinitely. They owe all of us more.

People are tired of hearing about 2012, or five year plans, or "ifs", or "whens", or "whatevers". It's time to crap or get off of the pot. The clock is ticking.

Steve
They owe us nothing. It is their business and they can do what they want. Do as I have done and dont go or watch.
But they are good business people. They know that no matter what, just like in towns with minor league teams that people will go watch the baseball game. The Pirates do a great job of marketing you have to give them credit. Look at the posters in here....they get emotional with this team when they lose yet they know full well the team would blow before the season started! Ownership knows their market.
I think they are trying to put a glorified AAA team together. They hope that enough talent in the minors will develop into solid players that can compete. The new GMs plan remains to be seen if it will work(just because it worked somewhere esle does not mean it will work here)Same goes for spending more money or a higher payroll is no sure fire answer either.
The constant through the losing has been low payroll. I dont envision that changing....not with Nutting involved. If a player shows he can produce above average at the MLB level, his tenure for the Pirates will be short. Many here blame poor management for the problems...and thats true. Past GMs were also limited by a cheap ownership group and that still remains. Sad state of affairs but there is nothing more you can do. Competitive Pgh Sports is just arond the corner..look at the bright side!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:13 pm 

BBF wrote:
palushock wrote:
estrago wrote:

I agree totally.

I'll say this one more time, palushock. If you have a problem with the way this board is being run, please feel free to go away. I can promise you that 99% of us won't have a problem with that.

And honestly, if you can't figure out why the ONE POST was locked, and you really think we are all out to silence poor little palushock, you need to take your delusions and your tin foil helmet to your nearest psychiatrists office asap. Enough with the self-serving whining.

Now he is going to say that YOU are calling him names.. LOL :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:24 pm 

BBF wrote:
And honestly, if you can't figure out why the ONE POST was locked, and you really think we are all out to silence poor little palushock, you need to take your delusions and your tin foil helmet to your nearest psychiatrists office asap.

Don't say we didn't warn you ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:44 pm 

I feel bad that my first post to this board got blocked! It started innocently enough....

As for building the Bucs, (barring a salary cap), if you can't afford proven thoroughbreds, then go with a stable of young unproven players (and hope you find a few Seabiscuits...)

I don't think you can spend your way to the pennant and I'm 100% sure that any Pirate owner couldn't afford an All Star team. I'm more than willing to give the current regime a few years to prove themselves. Hell, the Steelers didn't start winning Superbowls until they got some young and hungry players in that didn't dwell on their 30 plus years of losing. I just hope that the Pirates will be able to keep some of the up and comers long enough to field a winner. I don't want to see a revolving door of our young talent moving to NY or Boston every year. Hopefully they can keep a decent core together.

"It's just hard for guys who have been here and seen these exact same trades happen and seen it absolutely do nothing. I've been here nine years. I've seen two or three of these trades every year and still haven't had a winning season." J Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:28 pm 

SpankysGhost wrote:
I feel bad that my first post to this board got blocked! It started innocently enough....

As for building the Bucs, (barring a salary cap), if you can't afford proven thoroughbreds, then go with a stable of young unproven players (and hope you find a few Seabiscuits...)

I don't think you can spend your way to the pennant and I'm 100% sure that any Pirate owner couldn't afford an All Star team. I'm more than willing to give the current regime a few years to prove themselves. Hell, the Steelers didn't start winning Superbowls until they got some young and hungry players in that didn't dwell on their 30 plus years of losing. I just hope that the Pirates will be able to keep some of the up and comers long enough to field a winner. I don't want to see a revolving door of our young talent moving to NY or Boston every year. Hopefully they can keep a decent core together.

We are the 4 A farm system of Boston, and NY.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:02 pm 

spanky....I liked the Seabiscuit analogy! Hang in there and weed through some of the stuff that got the first post blocked and I think you will find a number of intelligent, well-thought out posts, lively yet cordial debate and a general good time.

This board is just like Cracker Jacks...you have to sort out the nuts to get to the prize.