Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JVB vs. Bullington
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:08 pm 
Who would you rather have as your long relief man, JVB or Bullington? I know it's like asking if you'd rather have your front tires or rear tires slashed, but still. Me, I'd take JVB. He sucks a little less than Bullington.

Post subject: Re: JVB vs. Bullington
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:22 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Who would you rather have as your long relief man, JVB or Bullington? I know it's like asking if you'd rather have your front tires or rear tires slashed, but still. Me, I'd take JVB. He sucks a little less than Bullington.

If you base it on their minor league success, then yes, JVB looks like the better choice. But at the end of last year, Bullington looked a lot closer to being a guy who could get outs at this level. And their MLB career stat lines, while insignificant because the sample size is so small, supports that.

JVB: 75.1 IP, 81 R (74 ER), 53K to 54BB, an 8.84 ERA and 2.058 WHIP...wow, a WHIP over 2.

Bullington: 18.1 IP, 13 R (12 ER), 8K to 6BB, 5.89 ERA and 1.69 WHIP.

So again, those are small sample sizes and both are pretty horrible, but I think JVB has convinced me he is useless as a long reliever/ 6th starter...Bullington deserves his chance now to show how bad he sucks.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:27 pm 

BBF wrote:
...Bullington deserves his chance now to show how bad he sucks.

:lol:

Very well put! Spoken like a true, knowledgeable Pirates fan.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:40 pm 

Yeah, I'd like to see Bullington in a spot start before I call this one. He's been pitching well recently, for the most part.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:04 pm 

This thread is making me laugh (rather have front or rear tires slashed, deserves a chance to show how bad he sucks).

If the Pirates had the talent level of the posters on this board, they would be in the playoff hunt every year.

Instead, we are left to debate Vanbenhitaroundagain vs. Bullingivingupatonofhits.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:17 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Instead, we are left to debate Vanbenhitaroundagain vs. Bullingivingupatonofhits.

I wonder if a game got out of hand if they could call Bob Walk from the broadcast booth to pitch long relief? I'd want to go with Steve Blass because of his post season experience, but I'm afraid he hasnt shaken those control problems he's had the past 35 years...

So much for this stockpile of pitchers...someone must have mistaken these pitchers for piles of manure...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:08 pm 

There's no comparison at the Major League level. Van Benschoten's ERA and WHIP are hideous in what amounts to half a season's work as a starter or six months of relief. Bulington's numbers are not far away from being respectable for a guy with only eighteen innings in the big leagues.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:12 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I wonder if a game got out of hand if they could call Bob Walk from the broadcast booth to pitch long relief? I'd want to go with Steve Blass because of his post season experience, but I'm afraid he hasnt shaken those control problems he's had the past 35 years...

He would fit right in with some of the starters.