Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tony Sanchez
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:10 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Nutting has said he is serious about putting a winning team on the field and he hasn't shown that and it reflects on his profits and the little amount of money he puts into the payroll.

Major league payroll is the last place he should be investing money right now. He should be investing money in the draft and international signings, which, from all appearances, is what he is doing. Investing money in major league payroll right now would be throwing money away.

By the way, Ryann, how do you know what Nutting's profits are? Are you his accountant?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:18 pm 

Willton wrote:
By the way, Ryann, how do you know what Nutting's profits are? Are you his accountant?

15 year-olds know EVERYTHING, Willton. Duh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:41 pm 

Payroll would put a competitive team on the field. Pittsburgh is close to dead in pittsburgh and more 5 year plans aren't the answer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:13 am 

Ryann wrote:
Pittsburgh is close to dead in pittsburgh

I've asked it before.....why is this guy still allowed to post here?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:19 am 

Ryann wrote:
Your entire 9 points are filled with false truths and flaws.

Are false truths anything like true falsehoods? Which one is better?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:28 am 

I would REALLY love to get this guy on Water Cooler sometime to hear his thoughts on the bail outs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:43 am 

BBF wrote:
Willton wrote:

My mistake. I suppose I should bow to the superior knowledge of the poster who is not old enough to understand economics.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:34 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Wow my last post was number 1000.

Wow, and 982 of them have been about the same thing...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:49 pm 

Willton wrote:
BBF wrote:
Willton wrote:

My mistake. I suppose I should bow to the superior knowledge of the poster who is not old enough to understand economics.

Yet you cannot understand simple baseball knowledge. 17 Straight losing seasons. And the trend continues.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:46 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Yet you cannot understand simple baseball knowledge. 17 Straight losing seasons. And the trend continues.

And yet you still don't understand that throwing money at a problem does not solve it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:04 pm 

Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:

And yet you still don't understand that throwing money at a problem does not solve it.

You don't understand that you must throw money into the team to be competitive on a yearly basis.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:11 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Willton wrote:

You don't understand that you must throw money into the team to be competitive on a yearly basis.

Yes, but HOW that money is spent is a more important consideration. Spending money on the major league team right now would be a waste of resources -- there's not enough talent there to justify propping it up with free agents. Spending money to ensure that the future of this franchise ends up winning (i.e. the draft and international scouting) is a much more prudent investment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:27 pm 

Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Willton wrote:

Yes, but HOW that money is spent is a more important consideration. Spending money on the major league team right now would be a waste of resources -- there's not enough talent there to justify propping it up with free agents. Spending money to ensure that the future of this franchise ends up winning (i.e. the draft and international scouting) is a much more prudent investment.

Spending money is rarely a total waste. If nutting would have raised the payroll at a set limit of 65 million dollars this season, even if those players would not lead us to the playoffs we could trade them and recieve more prospects. Being cheap will never win. This is the 5th rebuilding plan. Im sick of praying for a rebuilding plan, while the major league team puts nothing on the field. It is an entertainment industry as well, and with the players on the field there is no entertainment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:29 pm 

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what right does a 15 year old have to bitch about 17 years of losing? He could not have been actively following the team for 17 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:25 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Spending money is rarely a total waste.

This is coming from a person who has never had a lesson in economics in his life.

Ryann wrote:
If nutting would have raised the payroll at a set limit of 65 million dollars this season, even if those players would not lead us to the playoffs we could trade them and recieve more prospects.

Why, because they are more expensive? Tell me, why would a higher salary make a player more tradeable?

The Pirates have thus far received very few offers for Jack Wilson. Do you think that his $7.4M price tag might have something to do with that?

Ryann wrote:
Being cheap will never win. This is the 5th rebuilding plan.

No, it's the first rebuilding plan. The prior regimes may have billed earlier plans as "rebuilding" plans, but there was no rebuilding going on.

Ryann wrote:
Im sick of praying for a rebuilding plan, while the major league team puts nothing on the field. It is an entertainment industry as well, and with the players on the field there is no entertainment.

Then go do something else. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and demanding that you watch Pirates baseball. If you don't like it, stop watching. Stop being a slave to your misery.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:33 pm 

Beernutz, Randa, Morris, Operation Shutdown. That's more than rarely I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:42 pm 

Wilton is not a real pirate fan. He is a new jersey wanna be Pirate fan.
He has no knowledge of baseball he is living in a fantasy world, where teams don't spend money, and anyone making a lot of money is a hurt to his team. Other teams want good players they aren't afraid to trade for high salary guys. Look at Halladay, and players like that. If you spend money on talent, it will make your team better end of story.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:19 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Beernutz, Randa, Morris, Operation Shutdown. That's more than rarely I'm afraid.

This.
These are the types of dudes our team can get with free agent money. I don't totally disagree with you though Ryann, having more better players because you spent money is a good thing. The only problem is that right now this team doesn't have any players like that (maybe freddy). We need to develop some talent now so we can have those awesome higher paid guys later so we can trade them or let them sign elsewhere for draft picks. Unfortunately, we are the Pirates and we can't spend our way out of the hole we are currently in because nobody will play here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:44 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Wilton is not a real pirate fan. He is a new jersey wanna be Pirate fan.
He has no knowledge of baseball he is living in a fantasy world, where teams don't spend money, and anyone making a lot of money is a hurt to his team. Other teams want good players they aren't afraid to trade for high salary guys. Look at Halladay, and players like that. If you spend money on talent, it will make your team better end of story.

For someone who is saying they are always being attacked, this sure looks like an attack on Wilton to me. Wilton is one of the most knowledgeable young posters on this board.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:45 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Spending money is rarely a total waste. If nutting would have raised the payroll at a set limit of 65 million dollars this season, even if those players would not lead us to the playoffs we could trade them and recieve more prospects.

Isn't that the approach of the fans of Adam Dunn's signing in Washington over at CIA?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next