Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tony Sanchez
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:30 pm 

wleeds wrote:

Why because MLB is too retarded to have a world wide draft where teams cannot trade their picks. If
there was a world wide draft Sano would have been drafted in the top 5 so in essence it would make Sanchez
a second pick for the Pirates. I agree with your opinion on this guy Mats'as'name. You cannot take a chance with
this organization to draft another Burnett or Bradley. No one can predict where he will land. Just look at the picks
Bonifay and Littlenutz made.

I agree...MLB should have instituted a world wide draft. But...now that the Pirates have the Dominican Academy and better influence with Rene Gayo down there....eh....maybe a few more years without a draft would be a good thing ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:35 pm 

Ryann wrote:
"Littlenutz" made a move close to this with Moskos over Wieters.
Sanchez over other isn't as bad, but still I can compare the 2.

Wrong again
I am not slamming them for Trading Morgan or Mclouth. I am slamming them for trading Bay. I have stressed that many times.

Well bring up things that happened months ago is relevant to things now. Sound familiar? You can't do anything about
what they have done so you will just need to deal with it. Again Bay WOULD NOT HAVE STAYED. Even if they offered
Gates' money. THIS IS PITTSBURGH. The Spendees or Redsox they are not. Realize this please. Players are going to come and
go, what matters is what you have in reserve to replace them. At the moment of the trade the Pirates didn't have anything
to replace Bay. In the future the Pirates will with the way they are doing things now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:41 pm 

wleeds wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Wrong again
I am not slamming them for Trading Morgan or Mclouth. I am slamming them for trading Bay. I have stressed that many times.

Well bring up things that happened months ago is relevant to things now. Sound familiar? You can't do anything about
what they have done so you will just need to deal with it. Again Bay WOULD NOT HAVE STAYED. Even if they offered
Gates' money. THIS IS PITTSBURGH. The Spendees or Redsox they are not. Realize this please. Players are going to come and
go, what matters is what you have in reserve to replace them. At the moment of the trade the Pirates didn't have anything
to replace Bay. In the future the Pirates will with the way they are doing things now.

Yawn. Yes they are because the same gm is around.
Bay would have stayed if THE PIRATES WOULD HAVE SPENT MONEY
What do you not get about that? You need to spend SOME money to win in the mlb. Close to deadlast in payroll isn't going to get the job done. Sure bring up one exception (Florida) who hasn't been in the playoffs the last few years.
Pirates had EVERYTHING THE SAME with Bay.
They have an all star outfielder
They don't have a mediocre 3rd basemen, bad outfielder, terrible reliver, injured single A pitching prospect.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:04 am 

Ryann wrote:
wleeds wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Wrong again

Yawn. Yes they are because the same gm is around.
Bay would have stayed if THE PIRATES WOULD HAVE SPENT MONEY
What do you not get about that? You need to spend SOME money to win in the mlb. Close to deadlast in payroll isn't going to get the job done. Sure bring up one exception (Florida) who hasn't been in the playoffs the last few years.
Pirates had EVERYTHING THE SAME with Bay.
They have an all star outfielder
They don't have a mediocre 3rd basemen, bad outfielder, terrible reliver, injured single A pitching prospect.

Dude he is cleaning out the Littlenutz garbage and that included Bay because they were able to get three players they
could control for 6 years and build around, and not one player that they control for a year and a half, maybe, and then
walked for a after first rd compensator pick. You have to take a deep breath and look at things as if the Pirates were an
expansion team that started play in 2007. The whole organization had to be built from the ground up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:30 am 

The payroll needs raised

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:01 pm 

Ryann wrote:

This is why I pound you, Ryann. This statement is so absolutely wrong that it demonstrates you have a fundamental lack of knowledge on the subject. Let me expostulate:

(1) There was one - ONE - blue ribbon prospect in this draft. That was Strasbourg. There was no player remotely close to Wieters at number 4, when the Pirates were selecting. Matzek is a top-flight talent, and unlike almost everybody on this board I have actually seen him play. However, he is a high school pitcher. The risk in selecting high school pitchers should be rampantly obvious to Pirates fans - Bobby Bradley, Sean Burnett are two examples of this risk. So, Matzek was a solid prospect at number 4, but not in the same class as Matt Wieters, a switch-hitting catcher with power, command of the strike zone, strong arm, and with physical size to play 140 games per year behind the plate.

(4) Sanchez was a first-round talent, ranked somewhere between 15 and 20. He plays a premium position (C), with power and above-average defense. Daniel Moskos succeeded to some degree in college as a reliever, but was not much as a starter. He was not seen as a top-end prospect since he has a limited ceiling. Lefty relievers ... not worth a 1st round pick. Ever.

So, you are absolutely wrong in comparing Wieters vs. Moskos, to Sanchez vs. Matzek. The two are incomparable.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:33 pm 

Bucfan-

Points 2 and 3 apparently went right over my head, I don't even see them!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:58 pm 

BBF wrote:
Bucfan-

Exactly my plan, BBF, exactly my plan.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:29 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
BBF wrote:
Bucfan-

Exactly my plan, BBF, exactly my plan.

Attachment:
HannibalSmith.jpg
HannibalSmith.jpg [ 15.59 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]

"I love it when a plan comes together."

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:46 pm 

Another good night for Sanchez. Gotta like what he is doing so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:57 pm 

Ryann wrote:
The payroll needs raised

Kid... are you really this dense or are you just trying to piss people off? I've been trying to give you the benefit-of-doubt because you are young but your statements concerning what the Pirates should be doing are just ridiculous.

1) Jason Bay would have never stayed in Pittsburgh regardless of how much money he was offered, matter-of-fact, he won't stay in Boston because he wants to play in Seattle. So he would have left and we might have got a what a B level pick for him?

2) Raising the payroll is the answer? OK, so who do we spend it on? I mean, who do we spend it on that might have a shot in hell of coming to Pittsburgh? Or maybe if we double every players salary then they will in effect play better (because we will raise payroll).

3) You will basically complain about EVERY move NH makes because you really don't have a fundemental understanding of what it takes to develop an organization. It takes time to rebuild an entire organization from ground zero(where PBC was when NH was hired). As I told you before, buy a Pirates shirt and put your last name on it for right now, because nobody is safe on this roster (except maybe McCutchen).

4) Please don't start any argument with "we have lost 17 years," because it isn't fair to NH and FC since they really have only had a losing record for 2 years now. If they get to 5, then I'll join you.

5) Don't ride that "owner is cheap" BS that estrago/BH has been ranting about for as long as I've been on this board. I will tell you the truth, I wouldn't spend money on this club either until I see a bevy of prospects throughout the organization at all levels. Its kinda like buying them nice chrome 22"s for a freakin $100 primered beater car. A waste. Nutting has stated that he will add permier ML talent to the roster WHEN there is a core group of players that are WINNING, and we have to just believe him until the time comes.

6) Time and time again we have to listen to all the negative crap on this board, Jeez if Andy strikes out the freakin Bay deal was a bust. Tabata goes 0-3 and the Nady deal was a bust. Morgan this, McLouth that, Nady, Bay, Burnett, "if they were here", blah blah blah... Well, they WERE all here last year, and they didn't win jack. When are you going to realize that those guys were average to slightly above average players at best. Just because Bay is successful in Boston don't tout him as a superstar, he has a MVP, and a bunch of All-Stars with him there, that makes it a little easier. We need stars, superstars... not "nice" players.

7) Lay off Milledge and Moskos, Milledge has done NOTHING wrong here in Pittsburgh and he has a far higher ceiling than that of Moss, Jones, or Young, regardless of any obscure stats that can be dug up. Moskos has pitched well at Altoona considering he wasn't a starting pitcher before and he is still young enough that he may make a difference at some point. It wasn't his fault that Littlefield sucked as a GM.

8) If you want to talk intelligently about the PBC then you must do the due dillegence of researching the ENTIRE organization, its players, coaches, and minor league practices. Better yet, get out and see an Altoona game and get a look at how smooth a centerfielder Gorkys Hernandez is, or how the ball explodes off of Alvarez's bat, or how Lincoln gets stronger as the game progresses. Stop regurgitating what you are hearing on ESPN or MLB TV, its watered down, uninformed babble.

9) Tony Sanchez was a great pick for us in the sense that we have no Catchers throughout the organization worth a crap, Doumit injury prone, and Jaramillo and Diaz still relatively unknown. The kid will be here in Pittsburgh in short order and will be bringing a nice turn on investment. If the Pirates sign Sano, then they will have had an outstanding draft this season, that would make 2 in a row.

PF13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:27 pm 

Great post, PF13, but you could have had 11 points if you used my numbering method!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:31 pm 

Sanchez likes those lefty pitchers. So far, he is 6-6, with 2 2B's, 1 HR, 5 RBI's, 1 walk against lefties. 1.000 batting average and 1.833 slugging.

Daniel Moskos, have no fear. I am guessing that managers are not likely to bring in a LOOGY to face him. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:07 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Ryann wrote:
The payroll needs raised

Kid... are you really this dense or are you just trying to piss people off? I've been trying to give you the benefit-of-doubt because you are young but your statements concerning what the Pirates should be doing are just ridiculous.

1) Jason Bay would have never stayed in Pittsburgh regardless of how much money he was offered, matter-of-fact, he won't stay in Boston because he wants to play in Seattle. So he would have left and we might have got a what a B level pick for him?

2) Raising the payroll is the answer? OK, so who do we spend it on? I mean, who do we spend it on that might have a shot in hell of coming to Pittsburgh? Or maybe if we double every players salary then they will in effect play better (because we will raise payroll).

3) You will basically complain about EVERY move NH makes because you really don't have a fundemental understanding of what it takes to develop an organization. It takes time to rebuild an entire organization from ground zero(where PBC was when NH was hired). As I told you before, buy a Pirates shirt and put your last name on it for right now, because nobody is safe on this roster (except maybe McCutchen).

4) Please don't start any argument with "we have lost 17 years," because it isn't fair to NH and FC since they really have only had a losing record for 2 years now. If they get to 5, then I'll join you.

5) Don't ride that "owner is cheap" BS that estrago/BH has been ranting about for as long as I've been on this board. I will tell you the truth, I wouldn't spend money on this club either until I see a bevy of prospects throughout the organization at all levels. Its kinda like buying them nice chrome 22"s for a freakin $100 primered beater car. A waste. Nutting has stated that he will add permier ML talent to the roster WHEN there is a core group of players that are WINNING, and we have to just believe him until the time comes.

6) Time and time again we have to listen to all the negative crap on this board, Jeez if Andy strikes out the freakin Bay deal was a bust. Tabata goes 0-3 and the Nady deal was a bust. Morgan this, McLouth that, Nady, Bay, Burnett, "if they were here", blah blah blah... Well, they WERE all here last year, and they didn't win jack. When are you going to realize that those guys were average to slightly above average players at best. Just because Bay is successful in Boston don't tout him as a superstar, he has a MVP, and a bunch of All-Stars with him there, that makes it a little easier. We need stars, superstars... not "nice" players.

7) Lay off Milledge and Moskos, Milledge has done NOTHING wrong here in Pittsburgh and he has a far higher ceiling than that of Moss, Jones, or Young, regardless of any obscure stats that can be dug up. Moskos has pitched well at Altoona considering he wasn't a starting pitcher before and he is still young enough that he may make a difference at some point. It wasn't his fault that Littlefield sucked as a GM.

8) If you want to talk intelligently about the PBC then you must do the due dillegence of researching the ENTIRE organization, its players, coaches, and minor league practices. Better yet, get out and see an Altoona game and get a look at how smooth a centerfielder Gorkys Hernandez is, or how the ball explodes off of Alvarez's bat, or how Lincoln gets stronger as the game progresses. Stop regurgitating what you are hearing on ESPN or MLB TV, its watered down, uninformed babble.

9) Tony Sanchez was a great pick for us in the sense that we have no Catchers throughout the organization worth a crap, Doumit injury prone, and Jaramillo and Diaz still relatively unknown. The kid will be here in Pittsburgh in short order and will be bringing a nice turn on investment. If the Pirates sign Sano, then they will have had an outstanding draft this season, that would make 2 in a row.

PF13

Nutting has never indicated he will raise the payroll when there is a strong core of young players. Your entire 9 points are filled with false truths and flaws.

Also Milledge is one of the only Pirates I feel has a great chance to be a great player. Where the hell are you getting that I won't lay off him?

You may up a lot of shit in your nine points.
I have praised some moves made by NH such as the Morgan trade, Nady trade, and McLouth trade.

You raise the payroll and spend it on GOOD major league players. Not shit like Moss, and some of the garbage that takes the field.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:31 pm 

Actually if you spent as much time listening and reading other media outlets
besides just what you find on the internet, you would have heard in numorous
interviews Bob Nutting has done where has stated he would spend the money
once the team is in a position to be competitive in year and year out. A really
good outlet for information about the Pirates and these interviews, which Bob
did at Pirate Fest back in Feburary, is the post game show by Rocco Demaro.
Go to www.wpgb.com and download his pod casts. He has time and time again
pointed out for people like you to listen to the interview where Bob Nutting makes
this statement. Believe what you want, but we will not find out until the young talent
developes and becomes eligible for arbitration if Bob will keep his word. If he doesn't
then you are right and the media will blitz him on the quote.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:06 pm 

wleeds wrote:
Actually if you spent as much time listening and reading other media outlets
besides just what you find on the internet, you would have heard in numorous
interviews Bob Nutting has done where has stated he would spend the money
once the team is in a position to be competitive in year and year out. A really
good outlet for information about the Pirates and these interviews, which Bob
did at Pirate Fest back in Feburary, is the post game show by Rocco Demaro.
Go to http://www.wpgb.com and download his pod casts. He has time and time again
pointed out for people like you to listen to the interview where Bob Nutting makes
this statement. Believe what you want, but we will not find out until the young talent
developes and becomes eligible for arbitration if Bob will keep his word. If he doesn't
then you are right and the media will blitz him on the quote.

So you are using something that is not a fact. Just because someone says something doesn't mean it will come true. :roll:

Wow my last post was number 1000.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:13 pm 

It IS a fact that Nutting said it Ryann. Now, if things develop, and he doesn't do it, then I will be the first in line to call BS. But he did say it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:13 pm 

Ryann wrote:
So you are using something that is not a fact. Just because someone says something doesn't mean it will come true. :roll:

The same could be said for anyone that predicts one's own actions in the future. Dave Mathews could say that he's going on tour in 2010; that doesn't mean that he will. I could say that I'm going to take the bar exam in July; that does not necessarily mean that I will.* But the point is that when someone does say what they will do in the future, it is likely that that person will follow through with his promises. And so far, I have yet to see Nutting go back on any of the promises he made when he assumed principal ownership in 2007.

*BTW, for all you worriers, I really am going to take the bar exam in July, barring any unforeseeable obstacles. I was just using it to illustrate a point.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:22 pm 

Good luck Wilton.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:03 pm 

Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:

The same could be said for anyone that predicts one's own actions in the future. Dave Mathews could say that he's going on tour in 2010; that doesn't mean that he will. I could say that I'm going to take the bar exam in July; that does not necessarily mean that I will.* But the point is that when someone does say what they will do in the future, it is likely that that person will follow through with his promises. And so far, I have yet to see Nutting go back on any of the promises he made when he assumed principal ownership in 2007.

*BTW, for all you worriers, I really am going to take the bar exam in July, barring any unforeseeable obstacles. I was just using it to illustrate a point.

Nutting has said he is serious about putting a winning team on the field and he hasn't shown that and it reflects on his profits and the little amount of money he puts into the payroll.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next