Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tony Sanchez
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:17 am 

Sanchez is hitting well for Class A West Virginia.

http://tinyurl.com/tsanchez

At this rate, I would not be surprised to see him move up to advanced-A Lynchburg.

Post subject: Re: Tony Sanchez
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:41 am 

I'm a little concerned about his defense. The initial scouting reports during the draft said he was polished defensively, nearly MLB ready, but he has had several errors (4) in just a dozen games or so. Just a fluke, nerves or what I wonder?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:19 am 

I think West Virginia needs him more right now also.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:01 am 
 WWW  Profile

Chris Anderson wrote:
I'm a little concerned about his defense. The initial scouting reports during the draft said he was polished defensively, nearly MLB ready, but he has had several errors (4) in just a dozen games or so. Just a fluke, nerves or what I wonder?

I could be completely wrong about this but I think it might be a case of him playing with pitchers that might not have the control and command of the game. Similar to good hitters struggling in the lower minors because they don't have pitches in the strike zone to hit, the same might be the case for a catcher trying to get a feel for the situation.

Of all things, I'd rather him struggle at defense than offense. His defense will come eventually. I like to see him gain a ton of confidence with his bat.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:32 am 

This is a small sample size, plus the number of errors by themselves don't tell you much. You have to watch him play.

Maybe we could get a game report from the poster that lives near there?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:54 am 

Colin21 wrote:
I think West Virginia needs him more right now also.

With all due respect, who gives a fugg what WVA needs? The good of the prospect has to come ahead of the good of a minor league affiliate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:14 pm 

good points Ia. My thoughts exactly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:17 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:

I could be completely wrong about this but I think it might be a case of him playing with pitchers that might not have the control and command of the game. Similar to good hitters struggling in the lower minors because they don't have pitches in the strike zone to hit, the same might be the case for a catcher trying to get a feel for the situation.

That's certainly possible. I guess I would expect pitchers at WVA to be better in terms of control and command than those at Boston College though, where he was supposedly looking extremely solid defensively. Maybe that's not the case.

Or, perhaps he just doesn't know these pitchers yet. Doesn't know how much break to expect on their breaking pitches, how much tail they have on their heaters, etc.?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:31 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:

So we drafted a guy cause he is a major leaguer ready defender...Then he commits 4 errors in 12 or so games :lol:
Matsuk was the choice the Bucs should have made.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:37 pm 

It's enough of a flag to keep an eye on, but such a small sample size that I am not overly concerned. I am sure that even Pudge Rodriguez has had a similar stretch sometime in his career.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:52 pm 

Sanchez is having another nice game tonight: 3-run homer, RBI double, and he was hit by a pitch. And the game is still only in the fourth inning, so he may get a couple more at-bats.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:53 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:

So we drafted a guy cause he is a major leaguer ready defender...Then he commits 4 errors in 12 or so games :lol:

When the Pirates sign Sano, it will make the Sanchez pick a second round pick and your
thoughts on the matter will become mute. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:18 pm 

Make that a 3-run HR and two doubles tonight. He's 3-for-3, plus the HBP.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:40 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:

His name is Matzek, and he was demanding Rick Porcello money. There is no reason to be giving him that much money, even assuming we had that money to give, largely because he is not worth it. Drafting high school arms in the first round is always risky, especially given how much money they tend to demand. You could fill the Vietnam Memorial with the number of high school pitchers taken in the first round that never made it to the majors.

NH decided to amortize the risk by spending slot money on Sanchez (who is merely an overdraft, not a bad prospect) and then spreading that wealth to a large number of other high-risk-high-reward pitchers in Cain, Von Rosenberg, Heller, Dodson, Cooper, Dermody, Urban, and Stevenson. The success of this strategy will largely depend on whether he signs these guys, but that does not make his strategy a bad one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:12 pm 

wleeds wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:

When the Pirates sign Sano, it will make the Sanchez pick a second round pick and your
thoughts on the matter will become mute. :roll:

Wrong again. Pirates signing Sano should not effect who they pick with the first pick in the draft.
Sanchez pick proves the Pirates are only trying to save a buck and none of you can prove that isn't what the plan is.
Matszek would have been a better pick. Costing more money, but would have been a better pick.

Sorry buddy, but if we sign sano that does not make Sanchez magicly go to a 2nd round pick.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:21 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Sanchez pick proves the Pirates are only trying to save a buck and none of you can prove that isn't what the plan is.
Matszek would have been a better pick. Costing more money, but would have been a better pick.

Sorry buddy, but if we sign sano that does not make Sanchez magicly go to a 2nd round pick.

Nor can you prove it the other way around. Saying Matszek is a better pick is crazy one month after the draft also. Let's talk in 3-4 years, if Matszek is even in the bigs by then. Sanchez will be wearing a Bucco uniform by 2011...at the latest. Matszek may not even be in AAA by then.

You are right, though, that the Sano signing should be viewed independently from this draft.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:25 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Nor can you prove it the other way around. Saying Matszek is a better pick is crazy one month after the draft also. Let's talk in 3-4 years, if Matszek is even in the bigs by then. Sanchez will be wearing a Bucco uniform by 2011...at the latest. Matszek may not even be in AAA by then.

You are right, though, that the Sano signing should be viewed independently from this draft.

I rather have a high end pitching prospect with a ton of potential then a guy with less potential at catcher.
The pirates cheaped out that is evident.
I do hope that Sanchez is a great major leaguer and think he can be. But I also think that one of the pitcher available may have been a better pick.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:27 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Why because MLB is too retarded to have a world wide draft where teams cannot trade their picks. If
there was a world wide draft Sano would have been drafted in the top 5 so in essence it would make Sanchez
a second pick for the Pirates. I agree with your opinion on this guy Mats'as'name. You cannot take a chance with
this organization to draft another Burnett or Bradley. No one can predict where he will land. Just look at the picks
Bonifay and Littlenutz made.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:28 pm 

So hold on a sec... Every post you have made in the past few weeks, slamming the front office for exchanging solid, but fairly mediocre talent (Morgan, McLouth, etc) for high end prospects is now thrown out the window here? You can't have it both ways.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:29 pm 

"Littlenutz" made a move close to this with Moskos over Wieters.
Sanchez over other isn't as bad, but still I can compare the 2.

Wrong again
I am not slamming them for Trading Morgan or Mclouth. I am slamming them for trading Bay. I have stressed that many times.