Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DK Tweets: Pirates send down Steven Jackson, Steve Pearce
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:33 pm 

Doesn't say whose coming up. Veal, for one, obviously but who else? Doumit? Shouldn't he get a hit first?

http://twitter.com/Dejan_Kovacevic

Post subject: Re: DK Tweets: Pirates send down Steven Jackson, Steve Pearce
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:45 pm 

Maybe its Pedro?

I hope its not Bixler...Is there any right handed bats down in Indy?

I checked in over at CIA and they are talking there was a big rumor Adam LaRoche, Freddy and Grabow being packaged to Florida

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:47 pm 

Veal and nobody, for now. From the PG:

Quote:
Pirates option Pearce, Jackson to Indianapolis
Wednesday, July 08, 2009
By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
HOUSTON -- After today's 5-0 loss against the Houston Astros, the Pirates reinstated from the disabled list relief pitcher Donnie Veal, a Rule 5 draft pick and optioned outfielder/first baseman

Steve Pearce and relief pitcher Steven Jackson to Indianapolis. Pirates manager John Russell said the other corresponding move will be made Friday, as another player will need to be called up to the major league club.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09189/982662-100.stm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:57 pm 

I am betting it is Doumit. Huntingdon said that his performance in the rehab assignment is not important, but that he feels good. If it is him, I think it's stupid. I know we have no offense, but it seems foolish to bring him up for a few days then have the all star break. I would rather see him play through the break in the minors, then come up.

And regarding Pearce. I think bringing him up was one of the more foolish moves by NH.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:01 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I checked in over at CIA and they are talking there was a big rumor Adam LaRoche, Freddy and Grabow being packaged to Florida

Yeah I wouldn't put too much stock in that rumor. That's a really lopsided trade. Morrison and Stanton alone would be too much for the crap we are selling. Sheesh, why not have them throw in that Ramirez fellow. Sadly, even if we ever were so fortunate to gather such awesome players, people would complain about trading players for prospects.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:05 pm 

BBF wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

Yeah I wouldn't put too much stock in that rumor. That's a really lopsided trade. Morrison and Stanton alone would be too much for the crap we are selling. Sheesh, why not have them throw in that Ramirez fellow. Sadly, even if we ever were so fortunate to gather such awesome players, people would complain about trading players for prospects.

I'm not putting any stock into that myself...I was just out to show some of the talk on the OTHER board...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:47 pm 

Animal wrote:
I am betting it is Doumit. Huntingdon said that his performance in the rehab assignment is not important, but that he feels good. If it is him, I think it's stupid. I know we have no offense, but it seems foolish to bring him up for a few days then have the all star break. I would rather see him play through the break in the minors, then come up.

And regarding Pearce. I think bringing him up was one of the more foolish moves by NH.

Only way Doumit can play through the entire break is at A or Rookie level. And if that were the case...I don't believe that sending him to Indy for a few days would have happened. AAA has Monday-Wednesday off...just like the majors...and Altoona has Tuesday-Wednesday off (I believe Monday is makeup of a rainout). Only difference is that the Pirates have Thursday off.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:54 pm 

Thunder wrote:
Animal wrote:

Only way Doumit can play through the entire break is at A or Rookie level. And if that were the case...I don't believe that sending him to Indy for a few days would have happened. AAA has Monday-Wednesday off...just like the majors...and Altoona has Tuesday-Wednesday off (I believe Monday is makeup of a rainout). Only difference is that the Pirates have Thursday off.

My apologiesw. I thought the breaks were at different times.

Well that makes sense as to why the did not activate him yet. THey will probably let him play tomorrow then do it. I guess after being here a few games, it will not hurt to have a few days off.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I read on MLBTradeRumors.com that the Pirates are rather interested in Eric Young Jr. Is there anyone else the Pirates could get from the Rockies for Sanchez?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:21 pm 

Does anyone know much about EY Jr?

Here are his stats but that's hard to interpret from my perspective. He looks like he has some speed, can hit, and his errors are decreasing each year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... ung-001eri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:45 pm 

BostonBuc wrote:
Does anyone know much about EY Jr?

Here are his stats but that's hard to interpret from my perspective. He looks like he has some speed, can hit, and his errors are decreasing each year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... ung-001eri

Asheville and Colorado Springs are definitely offensive parks and Tulsa and Modesto slightly so...but that .290 average seems to be consistent at most levels for him. Just don't expect much, if any, power.

The minor league fielding averages scare me though. This season's .977 fielding average at 2nd base is the highest in his career. At the major league level...18 of the 22 2B with enough games to qualify have higher fielding averages than .977.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:47 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Maybe the Pirates pick up BJ Ryan. The Blue Jays just released him. Unless his injuries are really that bad, it's a great gamble in my opinion.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:48 pm 

EY's average is very consistent and he apparently can draw a walk. Great speed too. His dad was a decent ballplayer that developed modest power (about 8-10 HR per season). I wouldn't give up much for him, but if he were available for the right piece or as a throw-in, he would be worth a look. Better than ANYTHING we have in the minors as a middle infielder.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:46 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Maybe the Pirates pick up BJ Ryan. The Blue Jays just released him. Unless his injuries are really that bad, it's a great gamble in my opinion.

I think he would be a great pick up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:35 pm 

BJ Ryan was having a very tough time throwing in the 90's...

Most of his fastballs were 85 or 86, and he isnt striking anyone out...Being 33 years old, he's pretty much done

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:34 pm 

The info on EY from The Baseball Cube:

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/Y/Eric-Young-1.shtml

Speed and patience rated high. No power at all. Minimal XBH, but his very good OBP and base running abilities make him a top-of-the-order guy. He shows the potential to hit .280, walk 75 times, post OBP above .360, and steal 50 bases.