Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Garrett Jones
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:30 pm 

I am waiting for him to start failing, but he continues to do well. Two hits, a walk, two steals. I think I am developing a man crush on him!

Post subject: Re: Garrett Jones
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:06 am 

Two things I really like about Jones and his ability to hang around a little bit:

(1) He hits left-handed. Lefty hitters are more valuable in terms of platoon and pinch-hitting than righties.
(2) He is very quick for a big guy. He can cover some room in left field, and certainly does not clog the bases.

He also has shown a pretty good eye and good control of the strike zone. Those attributes make him a very suitable replacement in left field, until such time as Milledge, Tabata, etc. are ready to take over.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:34 am 

This might be looking ahead a bit, but let's say Jones turns into a really good major leaguer. So when Tabata and Hernandez arrive, do we move Jones to first?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:36 am 

VanSlick wrote:
This might be looking ahead a bit, but let's say Jones turns into a really good major leaguer. So when Tabata and Hernandez arrive, do we move Jones to first?

Getting a bit ahead of ourselves here, VanSlick.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:38 am 

You gotta like the optimism though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:38 am 

I know. :D

It just crossed my mind this evening. Notice I didn't have Milledge in the equation? I just don't think he'll be around that long. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope he reaches his potential.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:08 am 

I like what I have seen from this guy so far, but it is easy to get excited about these kind of players when they come up and play successfully.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:51 am 

I would play him every day until he proves he doesn't belong out there. The hardest ball he hit last night was the only time he made an out.

Next year, or maybe even later this year, assuming LaRoche is gone and no majore acquisitions, I would go with Milledge, Cutch, Moss in the outfield and Jones at first.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:57 am 

He's played well enough to make them more comfortable moving LaRoche, I would say. He could hold down 1st base for the rest of the season and not embarrass himself. After that, we'll see. Remember the Hyzdu!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:33 am 

Don't know about first base but I agree with Ralphie-- play him while he's hot. Every day-- Odds are he'll slow down quickly, but who knows. Let him decide by his play. I like him too and hope he's just been waiting to be a good one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:26 am 

That means he will probably sit today. :?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:42 am 

Ain't it the truth.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:59 pm 

I took a week off from the Pirates. I came back and we have guys I don't know. I liked Nyjer Morgan a lot. That trade leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I understand that he didn't hit for power but I thought he could have been the leadoff hitter of the future (hit Mc Cutchen third.) He should have been allowed to steal more bases. Clearly we need more thump in the outfield but Jones isn't that much younger than Nyjer and D. Young doesn't hit for power.. I'll have to look at some previous posts. I don't know enough about the guys we got in return. I just feel *blah* with the Pirates right now.

Kudos to Cecil Cooper for allowing Wandy to complete a shut out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:13 pm 

Oh yeah, Milledge.. he could really be the guy we need. I was hoping to see Moss get more at bats. Will be interesting to see how things pan out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:21 pm 

Ollie wrote:
I took a week off from the Pirates. I came back and we have guys I don't know. I liked Nyjer Morgan a lot. That trade leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I understand that he didn't hit for power but I thought he could have been the leadoff hitter of the future (hit Mc Cutchen third.) He should have been allowed to steal more bases. Clearly we need more thump in the outfield but Jones isn't that much younger than Nyjer and D. Young doesn't hit for power.. I'll have to look at some previous posts. I don't know enough about the guys we got in return. I just feel *blah* with the Pirates right now.

Kudos to Cecil Cooper for allowing Wandy to complete a shut out.

I'm not big on Milledge, but if Nyjer was our leadoff hitter of the future, we weren't going to go very far.

Also, Nyjer was a complete liability on the basepaths. 18 stolen bases to 10 times caught this year with the Pirates, that is awful.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:15 pm 

No kidding. I didn't realize his percentage was so bad. I wish he had panned out because he was a fun guy on the team.