Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates' novelty farmhands
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:48 pm 

I promise not to bore y'all with daily recitations on the two Indian pitchers and the South African second baseman. But it interests me that so far none of them has fallen on his face.

Dinesh Patel pitched 1-1/3 innings today in Game One of a doubleheader vs. the GCL Phillies and wasn't scored on. He K'd one batter and gave up a harmless single to CF. His ERA remains 0.00 after three appearances.

Gift Ngoepe went 3-for-6 over the two games, stole a base, and upped his BA to .333.

I have no illusions that any of them will ever go far in professional baseball. The Indians, particuarly, are only getting into games that already are in garbage time. And Ngoepe today was picked off first base and committed the sin of being thrown out at third to end an inning, so he still has much to learn about running the bases.

For a team that's in last place with by far the worst record in the GCL, though, the three of them actually are among the leading players on the roster, statistically speaking.

Meanwhile, Neil Walker and Lastings Milledge both hit doubles today in their rehab assignments.

Post subject: Re: Pirates' novelty farmhands
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:59 pm 

I personally have no problem w/ this type of signing by a small market team. They need to be untraditional. I also think that the Indian signings are especially smart because they have a billion people in India and making in roads there can be nothing but good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:05 pm 

BostonBuc wrote:
I personally have no problem w/ this type of signing by a small market team. They need to be untraditional. I also think that the Indian signings are especially smart because they have a billion people in India and making in roads there can be nothing but good.

I totally agree. Cricket is huge over there, and I'm probably betraying my total ignorance of the sport by saying this, but it seems that some of the same physical skills may apply to both cricket and baseball. The Pirates do need to be looking at potential sources of talent that other teams are leaving alone right now...India may be one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:18 pm 

Are those Gulf Coast League games broadcast on radio? I went to Pirate City in the mid eighties and I don't remember seeing stands anywhere. They had six ball diamonds when I was there though. I remember when the rookie team was called the Baby Bucs!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:47 pm 

The indians were our biggest offseason acquisitions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:37 pm 

I think bucfan saw Gift play in the World Baseball Classic...I believe he wasnt too bad looking from what he said

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:55 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I think bucfan saw Gift play in the World Baseball Classic...I believe he wasnt too bad looking from what he said

He was one of the better players on his team. He hit decently - not much power, but hit a solid single, and then a line drive triple. He was fast. Also worked a walk in the same game.