Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2010 rule 5 possible pick ups
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:56 pm 

At the beginning of next season, i am pretty convinced the roster heading into spring training will be loaded with plenty of new faces.

Just wondering who would the Pirates most likely subject to losing in the rule 5 player draft.

I am wondering if guys like steve Pearce, Brian Bixler, Jason Davis, to name a few would be candidates to be picked up by other ML clubs.

More importantly , does anyone have any ideas of who would be available for the Pirates to pick up.

I realize it is early, and that list is not finalized, just wondering if there are any guys in the majors right now,or have been in the last year, that would likely be rule 5'd?.
Supposedly the White Sox and the Rockies have tons of talent coming up the chain, just wondering if somebody could be worth it, and fall in the team's lap.

Post subject: Re: 2010 rule 5 possible pick ups
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:31 pm 

In order to be subject to the Rule V draft, the player cannot be on the 40-man roster. Pearce and Bixler must be designated for assignment in order to be subject to the Rule V draft.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:34 pm 

Willton wrote:
In order to be subject to the Rule V draft, the player cannot be on the 40-man roster. Pearce and Bixler must be designated for assignment in order to be subject to the Rule V draft.

I don't get why Bixler hasn't been designated for assignment already.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:40 pm 

Willton wrote:

And, as part of being DFA'd, they must clear waivers. If a team wanted them, they would almost certainly claim them off of waivers instead of waiting for the rule 5 draft. If they claim them off waivers, they would never have to offer them back to the Pirates as they would a rule 5 draft pick.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:08 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Willton wrote:

I don't get why Bixler hasn't been designated for assignment already.

Who would take his place? There's no reason to DFA him unless there's someone that should take his place.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:16 pm 

Willton wrote:
Who would take his place? There's no reason to DFA him unless there's someone that should take his place.

Yes, and in addition to that he is currently on a tear. He has homered in three straight games (one of them a grand slam) and has 8 RBI already this month. The latest HR came tonight with Neil Huntington in attendance.

At least temporarily, Indianapolis also is experimenting with him in CF.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:24 am 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Yes, and in addition to that he is currently on a tear. He has homered in three straight games (one of them a grand slam) and has 8 RBI already this month. The latest HR came tonight with Neil Huntington in attendance.

I refuse to get sucked into another "pro-Bixler" frame of mind. I refuse, I refuse, I refuse.

He has provided overwhelming evidence that he will never hit in the major leagues.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:04 am 

I'm with you Bucfan. But if he continues to do well in Indy, maybe someone will trade a AA player with more potential and we won't have to DFA.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:25 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Bob in Boston wrote:

I refuse to get sucked into another "pro-Bixler" frame of mind. I refuse, I refuse, I refuse.

He has provided overwhelming evidence that he will never hit in the major leagues.

Bixler's bats in the majors are still waiting to be used to hit the ball...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:48 am 

Willton wrote:

Which very well could happen come October or November. Remember that there will need to be room created on the 40 man roster to add younger players to be protected. One example last year was Neil Walker. I'm not positive...but Lincoln may need protected.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:00 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Bob in Boston wrote:

I agree. I just can't believe he will ever be a major leaguer. I also don't think anybody would trade any decent AA player for him, maybe somebody with upside in Low A ball or something, but i don't think he is worth the time of day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:02 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Bob in Boston wrote:

I agree. I just can't believe he will ever be a major leaguer. I also don't think anybody would trade any decent AA player for him, maybe somebody with upside in Low A ball or something, but i don't think he is worth the time of day.

You wont get anything for Bixler...Hes getting to the point he's a career AAA guy, teams sign every offseason to fill their rosters out, no one will trade for him...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...