Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Vasquez vs Gorzelanny vs Snell...who do you want as the last man in the rotation?
Virgil Vasquez 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Tom Gorzelanny 81%  81%  [ 17 ]
Ian Snell 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject: Vasquez vs Gorzelanny vs Snell
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:35 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I have to go with Gorzo on this. Vasquez hasn't been bad at all but I have a feeling teams are going to start getting the book on him soon. I'd say Gorzo has much more value to the Pirates than Vasquez.

7:00 PM

Post subject: Re: Vasquez vs Gorzelanny vs Snell
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:45 pm 

I have to go for Gorzo as well. He's done what the team has asked in AAA. Time to bring him up.

FWIW, I read somewhere that there is a service time angle to Gorzo's situation. He's something like 42 days of major league service time away from arbitration eligibility. Don't know if this has anything to do with management's hesitation to promote him. We'll see I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:31 pm 

I say gorzo just because he is the only who has yet to get a chance. And he has had major league success in the past.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:38 pm 

Gorzelanny has by far the highest ceiling. Vasquez gets more out of his stuff than probably any other pitcher on the staff, but I would rather see him as the long man/spot starter...he is better than Karstens. Snell will never be in a Pirate uniform again. My vote is for Gorzo, but I'm afraid they are going to keep him down so they control him for another year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:54 pm 

I picked Virgil Vasquez because i don't want to see Gorzo come up and bust, and i don't want Snell to come back and do bad again and lose what little trade value he has.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:14 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Colin21 wrote:
I picked Virgil Vasquez because i don't want to see Gorzo come up and bust, and i don't want Snell to come back and do bad again and lose what little trade value he has.

I think people are overestimating Snell's trade value. He is rotting in AAA for a terrible Major League club. That and his salary is waaaaay to high for what he brings to the table. The Pirates would be lucky to have a team take him even if they paid for half his salary. No prospects would be involved.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:03 am 

I chose Snell. I think he is the best pitcher of the three, plus the only way to get a return on the dollars being spent is to play him in the majors.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:53 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

I think people are overestimating Snell's trade value. He is rotting in AAA for a terrible Major League club. That and his salary is waaaaay to high for what he brings to the table. The Pirates would be lucky to have a team take him even if they paid for half his salary. No prospects would be involved.

I think the same thing. It just seems since he has had some good outing in AAA that teams have been looking at him more than when he was blowing games for the Pirates. He wasn't even being mentioned in trades while he was up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:10 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

The time to trade Snell was toward the middle-end of June when he had three quality starts in a row, and for all I know, maybe they did try. But I agree, it's too late now. All the Pirates can do with him is roll the dice, bring him up one last time, and hope he produces so that they can get something for him.