Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lastings Milledge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:24 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
buc commander wrote:
I'll take Jones over Moss.

I'd love to be wrong but I think that Garrett Jones, 2009 is roughly equivalent to Adam Hyzdu, 2000. You remember him, the guy with the 1.056 OPS in 12 games?

You may be right, but I would like at least one player in our lineup to at least look the part of a power hitter. This is the same reason I wanted Brad Eldred to succeed, to have that one person that at least looks like he can hit a home run every time he steps to the plate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:19 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
buc commander wrote:

I'd love to be wrong but I think that Garrett Jones, 2009 is roughly equivalent to Adam Hyzdu, 2000.

That is a good observation, but with one legitimate difference. Jones is a left-handed hitter and is more valuable than a right-handed hitting platoon guy like Hyzdu.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:56 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
burghermeister wrote:
buc commander wrote:

I'd love to be wrong but I think that Garrett Jones, 2009 is roughly equivalent to Adam Hyzdu, 2000.

That is a good observation, but with one legitimate difference. Jones is a left-handed hitter and is more valuable than a right-handed hitting platoon guy like Hyzdu.

Good point, Bucfan. That does make a difference especially when playing half your games at PNC Park. Like I said, I'd love to be wrong. It's happened once or twice before. We'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:43 pm 

Couple things about Milledge.

His success last year was highlighted by a strong finish. In fact, August and September combined he hit .318 / .375 / .478 with 7 HR's, 27 RBI's, 30 Runs scored and 11 SB's in 51 games (that is roughly one third a season). Extrapolate those numbers for a full season and you get a healthy 21 HR's, 81 RBI's, 90 Runs and 33 SB's, with the great hitting line. For the comparison to Moss...he has yet to put up a stretch even remotely close to that.

I also seriously question his run-in with the Mets veterans. That group is a bunch of wankers. Billy 'Freaking' Wagner has to go down as one of the worst teammates himself, so to hear he chapped his hide means nothing to me. This guy has been in conflict with teammates Carlos Delgado, Pat Burrell, Oliver Perez, Mr. Met, the Phillie Phanatic, Jesus Christ, Oprah, Papa Smurf and even Santa Claus (ok, I might have made up the last few).

I don't argue that he has some maturity issues, but that doesn't mean he can't overcome that. Perhaps having the worst team in the league give up on you will be the wake up call he needs. I, for one, am excited about his potential. He and McCutchen are comparable in talent, with Milledge having a bit more power and less defense. If they both realize that potential, we could have a much better M&M combo than when Nyjer Morgan was manning left.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:20 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Couple things about Milledge.

His success last year was highlighted by a strong finish. In fact, August and September combined he hit .318 / .375 / .478 with 7 HR's, 27 RBI's, 30 Runs scored and 11 SB's in 51 games (that is roughly one third a season). Extrapolate those numbers for a full season and you get a healthy 21 HR's, 81 RBI's, 90 Runs and 33 SB's, with the great hitting line. For the comparison to Moss...he has yet to put up a stretch even remotely close to that.

I also seriously question his run-in with the Mets veterans. That group is a bunch of wankers. Billy 'Freaking' Wagner has to go down as one of the worst teammates himself, so to hear he chapped his hide means nothing to me. This guy has been in conflict with teammates Carlos Delgado, Pat Burrell, Oliver Perez, Mr. Met, the Phillie Phanatic, Jesus Christ, Oprah, Papa Smurf and even Santa Claus (ok, I might have made up the last few).

I don't argue that he has some maturity issues, but that doesn't mean he can't overcome that. Perhaps having the worst team in the league give up on you will be the wake up call he needs. I, for one, am excited about his potential. He and McCutchen are comparable in talent, with Milledge having a bit more power and less defense. If they both realize that potential, we could have a much better M&M combo than when Nyjer Morgan was manning left.

Well said Chris...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:58 am 

Really was a very good post, Chris. I thinnk that's where we are headed and I sure hope you're right.