Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lastings Milledge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:58 am 

A good article on Milledge by DK

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09188/982201-63.stm

If Doumit comes back......HITTING.......and Milledge jumps into the lineup and produces, that might be what it will take to make the rest of this 2009 Pirate season interesting. An offense with some thump in it. Who knows....

I'm looking for any signs of hope for the short term so I don't go completely crazy. :? :)

Post subject: Re: Lastings Milledge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:34 am 

A fine article. I hope Animal reads it.

I for one think the attitude Lastings' will bring with him to Pittsburgh will be refreshing. I look forward to seeing him in the lineup soon.

Post subject: Read It.....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:45 am 

omgardd wrote:
A fine article. I hope Animal reads it.

I for one think the attitude Lastings' will bring with him to Pittsburgh will be refreshing. I look forward to seeing him in the lineup soon.

But excuse me if I am not convinced. He talks a good game. Let's hope he sticks with it. It's one thing to SAY he is a good teammate, but something altogether to SHOW it. Obviously, his teammates did not think he was.

Has he matured? it sounds like he has, but let's not forget, it was just a few months ago that he cared so little about his team that he blew off two meetings in a week.

I hope the kid HAS straightened himself out. Maybe with two strikes against him, he has no other choice.

Time will tell.

I am still not convinced he will be the model citizen and teammate, but I hope it happens. And if it does, I will be the first to admit I was wrong.

One final thing though, him saying he could not be undisciplined because his dad is a cop is a joke. I know a lot of cops' kids who go astray, just like many minister's kids.

I also hope they do not bring him up until he proves worthy at AAA.

Post subject: Re: Read It.....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:05 am 

Quote:

Amen. I do not want to see us call this guy up until he proves he is ready. He has struggled much the past couple of years - combine that with his injury and I hope we do not rush him back just to save face with some fans. I do not care if we don't see this guy for a while.

Post subject: Re: Read It.....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:05 am 

urbanexplorer wrote:
Quote:

Amen. I do not want to see us call this guy up until he proves he is ready. He has struggled much the past couple of years - combine that with his injury and I hope we do not rush him back just to save face with some fans. I do not care if we don't see this guy for a while.

Agreed!

Our OF is pretty crowded trying to get enough playing time for Moss, DYoung, Jones, and Pearce. While Milledge probably has more talent than all of them, his heart and desire are still a concern, and he really has not played well this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:15 am 

Although I agree with everything that's being said, if Lastings is ready and has proven himself at AAA, they need to get him up to the Pirates as soon as possible. How much worse can it get? The Pirates are not going anywhere this year. Might as well play as many possible "future" players as possible this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:19 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
Although I agree with everything that's being said, if Lastings is ready and has proven himself at AAA, they need to get him up to the Pirates as soon as possible. How much worse can it get? The Pirates are not going anywhere this year. Might as well play as many possible "future" players as possible this year.

As much as I do not want him in Pittsburgh, in case anybody missed my opinion on the subject :D , I agree. If he performs at AAA, give him the chance to prove the critics wrong. If he does, then he will help the team. If he doesn't, then we can cut ties with him quickly. But, as I said, I do not want him promoted until he shows he is a better team player and person, AND he is performing at AAA.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:40 am 

The difference between Milledge and DY, Moss, Jones, Pearce is that Lastings has already been successful at the ML level, none of the other guys have come close to that. WHEN Lastings is ready, he comes to Pittsburgh and starts immediately. The rest of the guys have had all year to make an impression, some were stuck in AAA but nevertheless, Milledge is the talent so he plays.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:00 am 

Yes and no. You are correct that he has major league experience and has proven himself on that level. So, physically, he will soon be ready. My feeling is that while that is true, he should not come to the team until he is ready to be totally into the team thing. If only to prove that we want teammates in Pittsburgh, he needs to be held back for a little while. None of us know him, so we need to count on the Pirate staff to look not at this year's standings but the next several. With the right attitude and he may have it, he coould be a great asset.

That light at the other end of the tunnel may not be a train coming from the other direction.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:16 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
The difference between Milledge and DY, Moss, Jones, Pearce is that Lastings has already been successful at the ML level, none of the other guys have come close to that. WHEN Lastings is ready, he comes to Pittsburgh and starts immediately. The rest of the guys have had all year to make an impression, some were stuck in AAA but nevertheless, Milledge is the talent so he plays.

Wait a doggone minute....Milledge has had success at ML level and Moss has not? How can you say that?

Milledge got in a full season last year and hit .268 with 14 HR and 61 RBI. His OPS was .731.

Oh that is so much more successful than Moss's .263 with 8 HR and 34 RBI in about half as many at bats. To go with a .741 OPS. Moss also was not run out of two cities, not chastized by teammates, and actually looks like he wants to play ball all the time, not just when he feels like.

How can you say that Milledge has had success while Moss has not?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:30 am 

Animal wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

Wait a doggone minute....Milledge has had success at ML level and Moss has not? How can you say that?

Milledge got in a full season last year and hit .268 with 14 HR and 61 RBI. His OPS was .731.

Oh that is so much more successful than Moss's .263 with 8 HR and 34 RBI in about half as many at bats. To go with a .741 OPS. Moss also was not run out of two cities, not chastized by teammates, and actually looks like he wants to play ball all the time, not just when he feels like.

Totally agree...I do not understand why everyone is falling all over themselves about Milledge's talent. He hasn't shown anything at the major league level yet. I understand that he's only 24, and maybe he has proven himself in the minors, but I don't see anything on his resume that demonstrates that he is a proven major league performer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:49 am 

Well he did hit 14 dingers last year which would put him second on our team.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:50 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Animal wrote:

Not saying such, and is a false premise. Both have had a modicum of success, and both have shown potential to be better. In Milledge's case, much better.

An outfield of Moss, McCutch and Milledge down the stretch looks pretty good to me at this point. Moss can hold the fort until Tabata arrives, or maybe grows enough to hold onto the job.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:57 am 
 WWW  Profile

I know this will get some criticism but I'd take Milledge over McLouth.

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:55 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Yes and no. You are correct that he has major league experience and has proven himself on that level. So, physically, he will soon be ready. My feeling is that while that is true, he should not come to the team until he is ready to be totally into the team thing. If only to prove that we want teammates in Pittsburgh, he needs to be held back for a little while. None of us know him, so we need to count on the Pirate staff to look not at this year's standings but the next several. With the right attitude and he may have it, he coould be a great asset.

That light at the other end of the tunnel may not be a train coming from the other direction.

Barry Bonds didn't care about having teammates. As Pirate fans we must all get ourselves out of this Nyjer Morgan mentality. Sure I'd love to have 25 guys like Nyjer, for friends, but as it has been mentioned here 6 million times, we've lost 16 straight seasons, soon to be 17. we need talent. Talent is what Lastings has, none of the other guys have the skillset that he does. Simple as that.

"Punishing" him in the Pirates system does not set a good tone for his career in Pittsburgh, as far as I'm concerned he has a clean slate. I would hope that he has a clean slate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:03 pm 

Animal wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

While your support for Moss is admirable, I believe that Milledge has a far higher upside and is virtually a better player in almost all instances. I too really like Moss and hope he finds his HR stroke and locks himself into RF, but to say that Moss would play over Milledge is just not a sound baseball decision.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:28 pm 

I'll take Jones over Moss.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:30 pm 

buc commander wrote:

Ill take anyone over Moss.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:15 pm 

Good article, in that Milledge is shown as enjoying baseball. He is working hard, conditioning, hitting, getting stronger, and actually having a good time while doing so.

The concerns about Milledge involve his potential for dour moods when things are not going his way. If he is dedicated to working hard and not giving in to selfish behavior, then good news.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:56 pm 

buc commander wrote:

I'd love to be wrong but I think that Garrett Jones, 2009 is roughly equivalent to Adam Hyzdu, 2000. You remember him, the guy with the 1.056 OPS in 12 games?