Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fans should be frusterated...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:32 pm 

You know this season should REALLY get fans mad. Do you relize if we would have spend money in the offseason and upgrade some positions and gotten a some better players (A good relief pitcher, maybe a good bench player or starter). That we the Pittsburgh Pirates would be contending for the division. This year gets me mad because we are so close, but still far away. If the damn ownership would allow more money to be spent in the offseason we would be a division contender. We are 8 measely games out in this pitiful division. Those games could have been made up if we had added some better pieces in the offseason. Im sorry, but it gets me really pissed to see teams like Houston in contention only 4 games out. Our damn team would have been capable of the playoffs, yet we added close to nothing in the offseason. This is the time where we COULD have competed if we would have added in the offseason.

Post subject: Re: Fans should be frusterated...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:47 pm 

I was going to post something, but the only Deja vu I enjoy is by Crosby, Stills, and Nash...

Which I got my tickets today to see them in Hershey on the 29th of this month!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:37 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I was going to post something, but the only Deja vu I enjoy is by Crosby, Stills, and Nash...

Which I got my tickets today to see them in Hershey on the 29th of this month!!!

David Crosby is still alive ... how in the hell did that happen? Geez, Michael Jackson would look at him and think, "It could be worse. I could be him."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:40 pm 

Houston is garbage. I think many people (including our management) assumed the Cubs would run away with it this year, but they had many injuries this year. St. Louis looks to be very strong now, they are my favorites to win it.

You are right about much of that, but I assume they wouldn't have money to go after guys like Sano if they did. To a team rebuilding, they really couldn't justify spending money on a season they assumed they had no chance at. Like it or hate it, we gotta live with limited funds to be spent, and I think they made the safe choice (could have ended up littlefield style).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:41 pm 

Is it just me, or did Ryann take about 9 sentences to just say the same thing over and over again?

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if we wasted 20 million on a couple of players, then MAYBE win a weak division and get swept in the playoffs because we have NO DEPTH.

AGAIN, a team is only as good as it's farm system and ours was S-H-I-T. In the last year, that has changed pretty dramatically. Very soon, you might be out of reasons to bitch, Ryann.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:42 pm 

Oh...and this is the correct spelling of FRUSTRATED.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:58 pm 

Ryann wrote:
You know this season should REALLY get fans mad. Do you relize if we would have spend money in the offseason and upgrade some positions and gotten a some better players (A good relief pitcher, maybe a good bench player or starter).

Who, and for how much?

Quote:
That we the Pittsburgh Pirates would be contending for the division.
This year gets me mad because we are so close, but still far away. If the damn ownership would allow more money to be spent in the offseason we would be a division contender. We are 8 measely games out in this pitiful division. Those games could have been made up if we had added some better pieces in the offseason. Im sorry, but it gets me really pissed to see teams like Houston in contention only 4 games out. Our damn team would have been capable of the playoffs, yet we added close to nothing in the offseason. This is the time where we COULD have competed if we would have added in the offseason.

Bull. This team was nowhere near contender quality. It was a team that was going to struggle to top 75 wins even if everything broke right. Compare it to the Pirates of the early 90's, who were better at third, short, left, center, and pretty much the entire rotation. The only guys on this year's team who would have started for them are Adam Laroche, Sanchez, and either Andy LaRoche or McCutcheon (or McLouth, before the trade), depending on where Bonilla played. The much lamented Nyjer would have taken Cecil Espy's spot at the very end of the bench. Doumit would have gotten time behind the plate, but not as an every day guy. Maholm would have been fighting Bob Walk for the #5 starter position, and the rest of the rotation would have been in AAA.

I don't blame you for not remembering what a contender looks like; it's been a long time since you had a chance to watch one every day. The current Pirates look nothing like a contender.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:22 pm 
 WWW  Profile

nad69dan wrote:

I think there is something to be said by this...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:27 pm 

cappscrew138 wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

I think there is something to be said by this...

With all the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young stuff out there you had to pick a Nash song?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:52 pm 

The only thing that anyone should be frusterated [sic] with is that Ryann continues to post his inane, rambling, uneducated statements here and, in doing so, butcher the English language more than Singh and Patel do on their own blog!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:24 pm 

BBF is just a moron, who goes to the games for the bobbleheads, not to see the team win.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:29 pm 

Boy, you sure got me there. But you forgot to tell them about my Nutting shrine. :roll:

Can't Stiller training camp start already to get rid of these yinzers?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:29 pm 

BBF wrote:
The only thing that anyone should be frusterated [sic] with is that Ryann continues to post his inane, rambling, uneducated statements here and, in doing so, butcher the English language more than Singh and Patel do on their own blog!

Hey, that's an insult to Singh and Patel...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:00 pm 

DoeyDoumit

There are some people who will support the Pirates no matter what. They will tell you they enjoy baseball. There is some truth there. However you could watch the Wildthings or Federation league ball if you just enjoy baseball. There is an emotional tie that many fans can not let go. I myself have become indifferent. I want a team that has a chance to win.....untill I see the tide turn, I wont support the sham. I suggest for you to just accept the fact that they suck, are a team that a Pittsburgher is ashamed of and dont get upset. I felt like you did about 8 years ago.
You have a choice....dont support by not going or watching.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:17 pm 

BBF wrote:

THAT is frusterating.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:51 am 

jaybee24 wrote:
BBF wrote:

Hey, that's an insult to Singh and Patel...

Don't DARE insult Singh and Patel! They are our biggest offseason pickups! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:18 pm 

estrago wrote:
DoeyDoumit

There are some people who will support the Pirates no matter what. They will tell you they enjoy baseball. There is some truth there. However you could watch the Wildthings or Federation league ball if you just enjoy baseball. There is an emotional tie that many fans can not let go. I myself have become indifferent. I want a team that has a chance to win.....untill I see the tide turn, I wont support the sham. I suggest for you to just accept the fact that they suck, are a team that a Pittsburgher is ashamed of and dont get upset. I felt like you did about 8 years ago.
You have a choice....dont support by not going or watching.

I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:38 pm 

BBF's shrine to the Nutts ... err, Nuttings

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:47 pm 

Don't you know only bad fans criticize the FO? The ones that shouldn't follow the team, anyway. They are not worthy, or as baseball savvy as the sophisticates on this board. They just don't understand.

I know you're frustrated, but we have "prospects". Remember that.

Seventeen years of losing seasons shouldn't be hard to take if you have prospects.

Remember, too, that the good position players we have currently (Wilson and Sanchez) will soon make way for more "prospects". So, there is a lot to look forward to. Maybe in 2012.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:00 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
Don't you know only bad fans criticize the FO? The ones that shouldn't follow the team, anyway. They are not worthy, or as baseball savvy as the sophisticates on this board. They just don't understand.

I know you're frustrated, but we have "prospects". Remember that.

Seventeen years of losing seasons shouldn't be hard to take if you have prospects.

Remember, too, that the good position players we have currently (Wilson and Sanchez) will soon make way for more "prospects". So, there is a lot to look forward to. Maybe in 2012.

If you want to criticize the front office, fine, but the criticisms should have some merit. So far, all I've heard from the "real fans" is bitching and moaning.

And by the way, Wilson is not a "good position player." Good position players hit. Wilson does not.