Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adam Dunn
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:05 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'm pretty sure that this topic has been visited several times before on this board. Why are the Pirates not interested in having Adam Dunn as a first baseman? I understand that he strikes out a lot and is due to get a butt load of money next year, but the guy has power numbers. He's going to hit at least 30 home runs a year (81 or so games with the opportunity to go for the right field wall imagine the numbers he could put up with that!)

Adam LaRoche is a good first baseman, but he lacks the much needed power this line up needs.

So aside from the high K's, low batting average, and crap load of money he's due next year, why wouldn't the Pirates try to get this guy? Is there something I'm missing with him?

Post subject: Re: Adam Dunn
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:09 pm 

Its been brought up before, Dunn does not want to be a regular 1st baseman or DH...

I actually think he is worse at 1st defensively than in the OF...

Dunn is not a long term solution, and his price is too much for a short term rental...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:26 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Thanks Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:35 pm 

Dunn's hesitance to move from the outfield really annoys me. I don't get why he doesn't see what a liability he is in the field. And broadcasting that hesitance to the world means that his trade value for the Nationals is significantly lower. Although I guess they knew what they were getting into when they signed him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:00 pm 

From what I've read, Dunn's best position is DH. He is in the wrong league.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:17 pm 

cappscrew138 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that this topic has been visited several times before on this board. Why are the Pirates not interested in having Adam Dunn as a first baseman? I understand that he strikes out a lot and is due to get a butt load of money next year, but the guy has power numbers. He's going to hit at least 30 home runs a year (81 or so games with the opportunity to go for the right field wall imagine the numbers he could put up with that!)

Adam LaRoche is a good first baseman, but he lacks the much needed power this line up needs.

So aside from the high K's, low batting average, and crap load of money he's due next year, why wouldn't the Pirates try to get this guy? Is there something I'm missing with him?

He can't field.
He doesn't want to play first.
His contract.
They can finish last without him just as easily as they can with him.
What would they need to give up to get him? A lot more than Morgan and Burnett.

And keep in mind that I LIKE Dunn. If he was 22, I'd be all for getting him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:03 pm 

cappscrew138 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that this topic has been visited several times before on this board.

Hmmm....can't say I remember ever discussing it!! :lol:

Adam Dunn is a serious, big time bat with severe, big time limitations. If we were on the cusp of contending and didn't had a Nyjer-like bat in the lineup, I'd be considering him. But with where we are at and the money he is getting, I don't think it makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:16 am 

jaybee24 wrote:
Dunn's hesitance to move from the outfield really annoys me. I don't get why he doesn't see what a liability he is in the field. And broadcasting that hesitance to the world means that his trade value for the Nationals is significantly lower. Although I guess they knew what they were getting into when they signed him.

I have a hard time believing the Nats know anything about what they get into when they acquire certain players. See the Morgan/Milledge trade.