Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Robbie Grossman
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

So, we all decided a little while ago that we were going to select a prospect and follow that person on a regular basis. I selected young Robbie Grossman, however, I have not been very good at keeping up-to-date with his performance in West Virginia. I even signed up for Google Alert emails on him. Ah well. I guess better late than never right?

Of course, I decided to start this on a day that he isn't playing for the Power. So here is what he's done up to this point.

AVG: .285 OBP: .375 SLG: .385 OPS: .761
50 runs, 77 hits, 14 doubles, 2 triples, 3 homers, 29 RBIs
38 walks, 93 strikeouts, 23 stolen bases, caught stealing 5 times (82% stolen base percentage)

Post subject: Re: Robbie Grossman
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:39 am 

Not bad, except for the lack of slugging. Does he project to hit for power from a scout's point of view?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:08 am 

Willton wrote:
Not bad, except for the lack of slugging. Does he project to hit for power from a scout's point of view?

He is a medium sized guy, kind of a slightly bigger Nate McLouth. He is a left-handed hitter who will not turn 20 until the end of the minor league season. He is fanning at a much lower rate than he was at the beginning of the year, and has a good swing.

Players who make solid contact and control the strike zone - that is, they are good hitters when young - develop power. Very rarely do players with power who do not walk later develop control of the strike zone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:25 am 

He has a pretty good upside. Was surprised to see the Buc's sign him last year. Everything I read said he was signed, sealed, and delivered to Texas. Like him alot. Too bad he cant play second or short.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:09 pm 

Willton wrote:

For a 19 year old in A ball, I wouldn't worry about power yet. I do believe, though, that he is projected to have McCutchen-type power- that is, enough to get by and have the pitchers respect you, but not a true HR threat.