Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: An ugly picture being painted
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:26 pm 

The Pirates also struck out 13 times in the game, the seventh time this season that an opposing staff has fanned at least 12 hitters. A dozen of those strikeouts on Sunday were credited to Nolasco, who had struck out more only once before in his career.

"[Nolasco's] breaking ball was good," Russell said. "He kept it down. He had us reaching a lot. It was a good pitch for him today. I think any pitcher, if you locate your off-speed down, you're going to give a team fits. He kept the ball down for the whole game."

I must say, this Pirate team desperately needs help.....baseball players who can consistently provide offense for power and for average.

PS: I understand what JR is saying and can agree, but maybe he should also add that it's much easier for pitchers to do that against the Pirates? :roll: 8-) Bad swings at bad pitches? Bad swings at good pitches? :? Since I'm rambling now, aren't adjustments made in the dugout as the game progresses? Do the coaches and manager talk to their players about what the opposing pitcher is doing? It's as though the Bucs swing and miss at the same pitches no matter what pitcher is throwing them or no matter when during the game the pitches are being thrown? Ok......I'm done. :)

Post subject: Re: An ugly picture being painted
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:32 pm 

Geez, last year we had the hitting and not pitching, now we have decent pitching and zero hitting!! I was listening to Met fans complaining on WFAN about the Met's AAA team, but the Pirates don't look any better, that's for sure. But, when NH has traded Bay, Nady, McLouth, and Morgan (who had three hits today), that leaves a real power shortage, except for Morgan's lack of power. No one has replaced those guys in the power department. Neal seems like quite the wheeler dealer, so it will be interesting to see what comes next!!!