Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trade Adam LaRoche NOW!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:55 pm 

Please please get rid of this worthless piece of crap. He can not make a throw to the plate, nor can he hit a lick. We gave up a dominant closer in Mike Gonzalez for this bum. Wow just another trade that blew up in our faces.

Post subject: Re: Trade Adam LaRoche NOW!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:12 pm 

DoeyDoumit wrote:
Please please get rid of this worthless piece of crap. He can not make a throw to the plate, nor can he hit a lick. We gave up a dominant closer in Mike Gonzalez for this bum. Wow just another trade that blew up in our faces.

You are an idiot. You are calling the only guy who has hit more than 10 homeruns on the team and is currently hitting .266/.354/.479 and leading the team in walks a "worthless piece of crap"? Who are you? Can a guy not have a bad game?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:20 pm 

Uhhhh .... Doey ... you might want to check Mike Gonzalez' work of late. Let me summarize:

Injured in 2007. Limited to 17 innings. 2-0 record.

2008: 0-3, 4.28 ERA. 33 2/3 innings pitched.

2009: Finally producing a bit after getting rocked early in the season. (Of course, you would not have panicked after he finished April with a 4.32 ERA and a blown save.)

And of course you would have been infiinitely forgiving when he gave up a lead on the 4th of July against the dreadful Nationals and blows the game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:27 pm 

Doey is a yinzer reactionary. Plain and simple.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:29 pm 

For the longest time, it looked like we robbed Atlanta on this one. This is the first year he looks like the Gonzo of old and is healthy again. He may never be as good as he once was though.

I like that Laroche is patient at the plate. Our team has too many free swingers I think. Sure, the guy has trouble making contact sometimes, but his trade value is crap right now. If he gets hot (let's hope), then maybe we can move him. You do not want to sell low on a guy that plays better than average D and is known to be a second half destoyer.

I wonder if we get any compensation (maybe not A, but maybe B) for him if we do not trade him and let him walk?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:33 pm 

I just don't know what the hell offense can be generated by this team if Sanchez and Laroche are dealt. Good God, McCutchen, Doumit (when he returns) and Andy Laroche will be the only genuine hitters on the team.

That line-up would be the worst since the 1985 Pirates team that deservedly lost 104 games.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:28 pm 

Also we gave up a legitimate prospect lillibridge for Laroche.
Laroche has never been as good for the Pirates as they had expected. His best years were behind him in Atlanta when the Pirates acquired him. I don't think he is a worthless piece of crap, but isn't really a good player. To inconsistent and I would never want him at the plate in a key pressure situation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:37 pm 

Ryann wrote:

Lillibridge was such a hot prospect for Atlanta that they promptly trade him to the White Sox this past offseason, along with three other prospects, for Javier Vasquez.

And Lillibridge has posted a monter .519 OPS in his career thus far, including .451 this year.

Not a .451 slugging ... .451 OPS, Ryann. His career batting average is .182. He has 1 HR in 164 career at bats. Ramon Vazquez is Ted Williams by comparison.

And in his last 4 minor league stops, he has posted OPS's of .742, .767, .638 and .628. None of those stops suggest he is ever going to hit enough to play full-time in the majors.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:40 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Laroche has never been as good for the Pirates as they had expected. His best years were behind him in Atlanta when the Pirates acquired him. I don't think he is a worthless piece of crap, but isn't really a good player. To inconsistent and I would never want him at the plate in a key pressure situation.

YEP, The guy was washed up at 26...way past his prime. Best years were behind him.

Oh, man, and Lillibridge will be an All Star for years to come!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:42 pm 

DoeyDoumit wrote:

Worthless piece of crap?

Cannot hit a lick?

Man, the guy leads us in HR I believe. What's that say for the rest of the team? They you call the guy a piece of crap and want to trade him? What exactly can you get for a piece of crap?

And his defense?? He is perhaps the best fielding 1b in the league.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:51 pm 

Animal wrote:
Worthless piece of crap?

Cannot hit a lick?

Man, the guy leads us in HR I believe.

Laroche leads the Pirates in HR's, runs, RBI, XBH, and walks. He is also second on the team in OPS and slugging, behind Sanchez. In other words, he leads in just about every relevant hitting category, or is a close second behind Sanchez in such category.