Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: WHY JOHN RUSSELL IS AN IDIOT
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:28 am 

Ryann wrote:
BBF wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
I just don't see much merit at having your #3 hitter attempt to lay down a bunt in that situation.

There you have it, folks! If No. 9 doesn't advocate a bunt, then you shouldn't be bunting. :D

I never thought I would see you make that statement, No. 9! ;)

When your number 3 hitter is Delwyn Young you have to lay the sacrifice. We aren't talking a Pujols player at number 3 hitter. Tonight it was Delwyn Young.

The number 3 hitter could have been Jack Wilson and it still would have been a bad idea. Bunting in the first inning is giving up. If it makes sense to bunt your #3 hitter, then why not have the pitcher hit there?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:54 am 

Bunting in the first inning brings a better chance of scoring early. You are really that stupid to not have any idea of baseball sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:47 am 

Ryann wrote:
Bunting in the first inning brings a better chance of scoring early. You are really that stupid to not have any idea of baseball sense.

Bunting in the first inning only provides a better chance of scoring 1 run early. That one run is pretty inconsequential at the beginning of the game. What's worse is that bunting in the first inning totally vitiates the team's ability to score multiple runs early. All it does is give the other team the outs its looking for.

You can make fun of my baseball sense, but your baseball sense is very antiquated. This is not the Deadball Era, Ryann. Games are not won by bunting; they are won by hitting for power and avoiding outs. The Pirates should be attempting to win games, not give them away.

I suggest you educate yourself about the game of baseball. This book will help; it's an excellent read.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Baseba ... 0465005475

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:17 pm 

You cannot understand this The pirates have the worst power hitting in the league. The Pirates won't score mulitple runs early by wacking doubles and homeruns. They aren't that kind of team. So there for the logical thing to do is bunt the ball.
Again you are wrong.
Actually you have no baseball sense at all. You are just a sorry apoligists who will back and move the Pirates make.
We are also proven right by one thing. The Pirates lost the games they didn't bunt :P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:50 pm 

No one would be talking about Young not bunting had Hampton not get lucky and snag that pitch...no one else was getting to that bullet except the CFer...

He hit that ball up the middle as hard as he could...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:52 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
No one would be talking about Young not bunting had Hampton not get lucky and snag that pitch...no one else was getting to that bullet except the CFer...

Right, but that ball didn't get through.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:03 pm 

Ryann wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

Right, but that ball didn't get through.

Minus Greg Maddux, most of the pitchers in the league probably would not have caught that...I'd take the risk of Young driving it up the middle and having runners on 1st and 3rd with a run scored and no outs, than runners on 2nd and 3rd and one out...

Say Young would get the bunt down and they go to 3rd base...then you have one out with runners on 1st and 2nd...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...