Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trade thought.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:01 am 

Why don't the Pirates deal one of their starting pitchers that have value? Look I know the majority actually all of them are young, but there is a logjam (Which is a good thing).
Why doesn't the organization deal some of the pitchers to get minor league depth at a position starved of it (Middle Infield). Im not sure what deals would be available, but im sure some of the Pirates pitchers would have a lot of value.

PS I don't think they should deal guys that have a lot of potential to be good. They should trade the fellas that aren't going to get much better.

Post subject: Re: Trade thought.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:15 am 

Yeah, they'd get a ton for Duke. I endorse this if the right deal comes along.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:10 am 

I wouldn't mind to see Maholm get moved, because the same as McLouth his best year was 2008.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:57 am 

Ryann wrote:
Why don't the Pirates deal one of their starting pitchers that have value? Look I know the majority actually all of them are young, but there is a logjam (Which is a good thing).
Why doesn't the organization deal some of the pitchers to get minor league depth at a position starved of it (Middle Infield). Im not sure what deals would be available, but im sure some of the Pirates pitchers would have a lot of value.

PS I don't think they should deal guys that have a lot of potential to be good. They should trade the fellas that aren't going to get much better.

That's a good thought Ryann. I think that is what the Bucs will eventually do. You could probably put any of them on the trading block right now, except Morton. Personally though, I would not trade any of them just yet, unless we are getting a great return.

My problem with trading any of them just yet, is that you win with pitching. We could have the best rotation in the league in a couple years, if we make the right deals. I have no problem keeping Freddie. And while I have long been a proponent of moving Jack, we don't have much else available. They are one of the top DP combos in league. Freddie can hit. Jack is average.

Build around the pitching!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:04 am 

The Phillies need pitching. They have some prospects I would love to get. Do it, neal!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:16 am 

Too early. We need to know who is going to be a steady guy and who may not. We also never know who might get injured. I say, it's not a bad idea but a major mistake here could be devastating to the future of the team.
Which guys Snell? Gorzo? Karsters? or the current five starters? Surely not the youngest studs (potantial studs) in the minors.

The more we give, the more we can expect in return, but make a major goof-up with one of these and you have really hurt the team.

Post subject: Agree 100%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:19 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Too early. We need to know who is going to be a steady guy and who may not. We also never know who might get injured. I say, it's not a bad idea but a major mistake here could be devastating to the future of the team.
Which guys Snell? Gorzo? Karsters? or the current five starters? Surely not the youngest studs (potantial studs) in the minors.

The more we give, the more we can expect in return, but make a major goof-up with one of these and you have really hurt the team.

But you said it way better than I did.

Duke, Morton, Maholm, Ohlendorf,

Gorzzy, Snell, Lincoln, McCutchen, Moskos, Vaszuez, Doumatrait

From this group, we should be able to come up with a great 5 man rotation, with a few more backups at AAA.

Trade one or two, have an injury, and we are right back to nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:12 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:

I see what you mean. None of those pitchers have proven that they shouldn't be a future rotation starter with the Pirates.
I was thinking a guy like Maholm, he was nasty at the beginning of the season, but he hasn't been to good the last couple months. I don't know about Duke I would hate to see him go.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:26 pm 

I still think the pitching is thin and the only ones I'd be willing to deal would be Snell, Gorzo, and Vazquez...

Lincoln isn't ready yet, and Daniel McCutchen hasnt done much either...

If you were to deal a Maholm or Duke, I want a young starter from AAA like a Morton or Lincoln

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:32 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I still think the pitching is thin ...

Starting pitching is really the deepest area for the Pirates. The team has 9 pitchers on the roster or in AAA who can start and win in the majors. Catching is the only other position where they have any depth right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:38 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

Starting pitching is really the deepest area for the Pirates. The team has 9 pitchers on the roster or in AAA who can start and win in the majors. Catching is the only other position where they have any depth right now.

I had 7 starters, I wasnt counting Lincoln or McCutchen on that list because I dont want to rush Lincoln and McCutchen hasnt been that good...

I guess if you count Karstens you have 8...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:07 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I had 7 starters, I wasnt counting Lincoln or McCutchen on that list because I dont want to rush Lincoln and McCutchen hasnt been that good...

Lincoln is a big arm and a genuine major league candidate. No need to rush him, by the way, with both McCutchen and Gorzellany in AAA.

And as for McCutchen - his walk rate is low, his K rate very good, and his weakness thus far has been HR's allowed. If he keeps the ball in the park, he is good enough to start in the majors. His performance in AAA is not as bad as you might think.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:08 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

And outfield.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:10 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

They have a lot of depth in the OF, which allowed them to move Nate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:29 pm 

Animal wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

They have a lot of depth in the OF, which allowed them to move Nate.

I am talking organizational outfield.
We don't need more outfield prospects because our minor leagues our loaded with outfielders and we have some in the major leagues.

Post subject: Re: Agree 100%
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:33 pm 

Animal wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

But you said it way better than I did.

Duke, Morton, Maholm, Ohlendorf,

Gorzzy, Snell, Lincoln, McCutchen, Moskos, Vaszuez, Doumatrait

From this group, we should be able to come up with a great 5 man rotation, with a few more backups at AAA.

Trade one or two, have an injury, and we are right back to nothing.

We're not going to win with the status quo. We are not very deep with pitching, but we are deep enough that we can use it to address other organizational needs, like middle infielders and catcher. If Gorzo, Snell, Lincoln and D. McCutchen are capable of pitching in the majors, then they are doing nothing to help the team by not pitching in the majors. The team needs to use its resources in the most efficient way, and when you have a lot of one resource, it is more efficient to trade some of it for another resource than to stockpile that resource and keep it for a rainy day. After a while, those resources tend to spoil.

There's the old saying that "you can never have enough pitching." That is true, unless you do not have enough hitting.