Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Corsair's fearless prediction II
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:07 pm 

I predict that Lastings Milledge will go down in history as one of the most famous Pirates ever!

That's right! In a few years his name will be mentioned alongside George Hendrick and Derek Bell and many others who have brought honor and glory to this miserable franchise.

I hate this trade! I hate this new guy even before I see him play. The McClouth trade was one thing. But on a team that is still in contention in the Central and they go out and essentially CASTRATE it to bring in this head case, while losing a guy that Pirate fans seemed to have taken a genuine liking to and always played hard!

I don't know about the rest of you guys but, six games under .500 or not, they were exciting and fun to watch with Cutch and Morgan at the top of the lineup.

I am sick to my stomach!

Post subject: Re: Corsair's fearless prediction II
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:22 pm 

The Pirates management is not going to continue the path set by its predecessors. That is, acquiring good-not-great players, and hoping - PRAYING - that they somehow find the "magic" and win 82 games.

Instead, the current management is acquiring players with high end talent (Alvarez, Tabata, Milledge, Morton, Locke, Ohlendorf, Hanrahan). Some of that talent will crash and burn. It always does. However, if these players play to their abillities - not above their talent, mind you, just play to their ability - then the Pirates have the talent to win 90+ games.

That is the goal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:26 pm 

Sorry Bucfan but please get back to me when they go 5-19 after the trading deadline again!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:31 pm 

Corsair wrote:
Sorry Bucfan but please get back to me when they go 5-19 after the trading deadline again!

If they do, and I don't deny that it could happen, it will say nothing about whether or not their strategy is successful or not. We won't know that for several years. Are you suggesting that they should be making trades with an eye toward improving the major league club this year?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:35 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I think so.

Remember, DL's goal was to field a .500 team this year, and a lot of his parts are still here to do so. They are a few under .500, and if they had not moved Nate or Nyger, one can see where a casual fan would say... buy a the deadline, and finish 1 or 2 games above .500 and break the streak.

I can empathize with breaking the streak, but the result would be that in the next two years you would be starting another one.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:38 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
I think so.

Remember, DL's goal was to field a .500 team this year, and a lot of his parts are still here to do so. They are a few under .500, and if they had not moved Nate or Nyger, one can see where a casual fan would say... buy a the deadline, and finish 1 or 2 games above .500 and break the streak.

I can empathize with breaking the streak, but the result would be that in the next two years you would be starting another one.

ZM

The only streak I care about is Years Without Making the Playoffs. Could care less about .500.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:25 pm 

Corsair wrote:
I hate this trade! I hate this new guy even before I see him play. The McClouth trade was one thing. But on a team that is still in contention in the Central and they go out and essentially CASTRATE it to bring in this head case, while losing a guy that Pirate fans seemed to have taken a genuine liking to and always played hard!

I don't know about the rest of you guys but, six games under .500 or not, they were exciting and fun to watch with Cutch and Morgan at the top of the lineup.

I am sick to my stomach!

Contention? Are you out of your mind? We are 6 games back in the central and would have to leapfrog 5 teams in order to reach contention. It is delusional to think that this team was in contention at its pace before Morgan was traded.

And excuse me, "castrate"? Are you serious? You think that trading a left fielder who hits like a shortstop would "CASTRATE" the team? Who cares whether Pirate fans liked him? Pirate fans also like Jack Wilson, and players like Jack are backups on good teams. This team needs talent in the worst way, and if it requires trading well-liked filler to get it, so be it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:59 pm 

Corsair wrote:
I predict that Lastings Milledge will go down in history as one of the most famous Pirates ever!

That's right! In a few years his name will be mentioned alongside George Hendrick and Derek Bell and many others who have brought honor and glory to this miserable franchise.

I am sick to my stomach!

Castrate? They gave up a fifth outfielder and a LOOGY.

By the way, they aren't in contention. They aren't close to contention.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:51 pm 

Willton wrote:
You think that trading a left fielder who hits like a shortstop would "CASTRATE" the team? Who cares whether Pirate fans liked him? Pirate fans also like Jack Wilson, and players like Jack are backups on good teams. This team needs talent in the worst way, and if it requires trading well-liked filler to get it, so be it.

I couldn't agree more. NH is going to have to take some risks along with making smart bold moves to turn this Pirate team and organization around. He has even been reported to say that if his way does not work, he should be fired. But he also adds that the Pirates will be in much better shape than what he inherited. I am convinced that the Pirates are headed in the right direction and it will take time along with being very patient dealing with the growing pains of building a solid organization.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:15 pm 

It continues and continues. When people can't see the major league team doing any better, they naturally get upset. Like most of you, I know we are doing the only thing possible to produce a play-off caliber team. They need to know what they are getting and so far I think they do. This last one with Millage is more risky because of his past as a clubhouse problem. He has made some bad decisions for himself. But.... like many other new players he also has great upside potential. If most of these guys produce up to expectations then we'll be there within two years. We just need patience to see if it works.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:13 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Jack Wilson is not a back up on:

St. Louis
Red Sox
Angels
Toronto
Mets
Cubs... and,

is better than the Yankee's Jeter, though he wouldn't start... he should.

... shall I go on.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:53 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Jack Wilson is not a back up on:

St. Louis
Red Sox
Angels
Toronto
Mets
Cubs... and,

is better than the Yankee's Jeter, though he wouldn't start... he should.

... shall I go on.

ZM

No way would Jack start over Marco Scutaro in Toronto unless you are talking about moving Scutaro to DH.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:04 pm 

I will agree that, in my opinion, Jack would be able to start on any team in MLB defensively.

Although his offense is better this year, that's the area when combined with his defense as a complete MLB SS, the debate can begin.

There are 22 Short Stops with 200 AB's or more. Jack has the 8th highest BA, 22nd in Runs, 18th in Hits, 6th in Doubles, 12th in Triples with 1 (5 is the most by any SS), 18th in Home Runs, 17th in RBI's, actually 30th in Walks with 10, actually 29th in Strike Outs with 25 (highest is Cleveland's Peralta with 63!), and 15th in OBP.