Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trade Matt Capps
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:19 pm 

Capps has shown NOTHING this season. He has a lot of saves, but that means nothing. He consistently gives up runs. If the Pirates are winning by 3 Capps usually gives up a couple runs. He isn't that good of a pitcher this year, and I question is conditioning. His stuff isn't amazing, and the big catch is.

PEOPLE WANT HIM! We could get a decent return for Matt Capps I would love to see the Pirates trade him for some very good middle infield prospects, or a good pitchers. His value is at an all time high and the way he is declined this is a prime time to trade Capps.

Post subject: Re: Trade Matt Capps
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:28 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Capps has shown NOTHING this season. He has a lot of saves, but that means nothing. He consistently gives up runs. If the Pirates are winning by 3 Capps usually gives up a couple runs. He isn't that good of a pitcher this year, and I question is conditioning. His stuff isn't amazing, and the big catch is.

PEOPLE WANT HIM! We could get a decent return for Matt Capps I would love to see the Pirates trade him for some very good middle infield prospects, or a good pitchers. His value is at an all time high and the way he is declined this is a prime time to trade Capps.

Riddle me this, boy wonder: if Capps has "shown NOTHING this season," "consistently gives up runs," "isn't that good of a pitcher," you "question [his] conditioning" and "his stuff isn't amazing," how in god's name is "his value at an all time high"?

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:39 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Riddle me this, boy wonder: if Capps has "shown NOTHING this season," "consistently gives up runs," "isn't that good of a pitcher," you "question [his] conditioning" and "his stuff isn't amazing," how in god's name is "his value at an all time high"?

I have a better question. What language is that he is speaking??

Another stupid post. Make no sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:40 pm 

I do share some of your point of view. His conditioning is suspect I believe. That being said, I think he just needs to work harder. I am not sure what our team makes some of these guys do in the offseason. He just looks a little tired out there at times this year. Maybe the guy needs to shed some weight.

I too would trade him if the price is right, but for some of the reasons you listed, i think his value is somewhat lower than it could be right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:39 pm 

Riddle me this, riddle me that, who's afraid of the big fat Matt?

Answer: Nobody is, I say if we can get some kind of value for him that we should trade him. He is nothing special, he is a nice guy but nice guys finish last.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:43 pm 

He has a lot of saves, but that means nothing.- Ryann (Beacon of Wisdom)

Really, it means nothing? Geez...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:55 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
He has a lot of saves, but that means nothing.- Ryann (Beacon of Wisdom)

Really, it means nothing? Geez...

I can't completly agree with Ryann because it does mean something, but there have been plenty of poor pitchers that have managed a good number of saves. Mike Williams comes to mind for the Pirates. Dave Weathers had 33 back in 2007, Jeremy Accardo had 30 in the same year, and i wouldn't consider them good pitchers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:50 am 

1. Animal quit hijacking my threads. I provide valid posts and arguments and you aren't smart enough to distinguish Elijah Dukes from Lastings Milledge. :lol:

2. I say his value is at an all time high because he looks like he will keep getting worse. Trade him while he still has value.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:53 am 

Ryann wrote:
1. Animal quit hijacking my threads. I provide valid posts and arguments and you aren't smart enough to distinguish Elijah Dukes from Lastings Milledge. :lol:

2. I say his value is at an all time high because he looks like he will keep getting worse. Trade him while he still has value.

Please explain to me how I am hijacking your thread? Do you even know what hijacking means? It has nothing to do with what you do standing on your bed late at night when the lights are out... lol

Okay, you say he sucks. So how does he have value...especially to bring in something good?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:26 am 

If he put the mets down 1 2 3,(which was 1 pitch from happening), would you be still calling for his outster?, Ryann.

Let's face it, over the last month or so, Matt Capps, although nerve racking at times, has been as CONSISTENT as any closer in the big's, look it up. yes, he does give up hits and a bomb or 2, and his control is not the same as we are accustomed to, but he is usually the last man standing, still shaking hands with his team mates , celebrating the win.

If he is being targeted for a move, NH, please get back someone who can play up the middle, a power lefty bat, that can play 1st base, or some lefty relief.

2 of those 3 types of players are essential, in any kind of return the club should be seeking.

I thought a little (well, maybe a lot of bad luck) bit Capps in the ass, vs Mets. The stolen base turned out to be the killer in the grand scheme of things. An average throw to the plate gets Tatis easily, but maybe AM got a wet ball hit to him, and the play just turned out horribly bad.

Don't give up on Matt Capps just yet, he is an important piece to this team, but he might have some value in terms of return. Think about it, he is probably 1 of the top 3 or 4 players on the team, in terms of longevity. I think only Wilson and Sanchez have been on the team longer, not that important in the big picture, i know.

It is probably not a good idea to have a high % of your team all being 1st or 2nd year major leaguers, that is a recipe for a real disaster. You gotta have some veterans.

If Capps is to be dealt, the return has to be able to help this team sometime before 2011. If that kind of help is not out there, just keep him, and maybe look to move him in the offseason, when things open up a lot more, in terms of players moving.

Keep Capps, time to draw the line.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:04 am 

This is from a topic i started back i think on June 26th. It was called The Luckiest Man on Earth:

This is from Yahoo but i thought it was worth listing because of how close some of these straight saves have been.
RHP Matt Capps has converted 11 straight save opportunities since his last blown save on May 15 against Colorado. He notched his 17th save of the season Friday night but it wasn't easy, though, as he gave up a solo home run to Kansas City's Mark Teahen then struck out Mike Jacobs with two outs and two on to preserve the 5-3 win.( I fixed Yahoo's spelling errors and there wrong stat, they had Capps having 16 saves and i believe he has 17)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:07 am 

For them to move Capps, they MUST get ready now players. I dont think he will be going anywhere right now. The demand for closers is not really there among the contenders. Therefor, he would be used in setup duty. That also brings down the return you could expect for him. Now is not the time to trade him. Regardless of what someone said, he is not at all time high trade value.

I do believe that is why the Morgan Burnett trade was done too. By bringing in the big right hander, he could be the closer of the future. Hope he can get back to at least where he was last year with Washington. He has the "stuff", just needs to learn how to use it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:21 am 

bigdawg6954 wrote:
For them to move Capps, they MUST get ready now players. I dont think he will be going anywhere right now. The demand for closers is not really there among the contenders. Therefor, he would be used in setup duty. That also brings down the return you could expect for him. Now is not the time to trade him. Regardless of what someone said, he is not at all time high trade value.

I do believe that is why the Morgan Burnett trade was done too. By bringing in the big right hander, he could be the closer of the future. Hope he can get back to at least where he was last year with Washington. He has the "stuff", just needs to learn how to use it.

Oh yeah i think that Hanrahan has the 3rd or 4th highest fastball speed of any major league pitcher right now.

Last edited by Colin21 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:29 am 

Hanrahan has a great heater, but really needs a better #2 pitch. I think he threw 1 changeup (needs better command on it) and one curve (high hanger). He does appear to throw strikes (> Tyler Yates) though. The Pirates don't have a better option than Matt Capps for closer. Oh yeah, Karstens should have been in the game 2 batters earlier yesterday

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:38 am 

Capps isn't going anywhere but... it sure is disappointing when your highly praised closer hits a guy, who then steals second and scores on a poor play of a hit to short center field.

In poker you might call that a bad beat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:41 am 

In diving it would be called a flop.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:11 pm 

ParrotLuv wrote:
Hanrahan has a great heater, but really needs a better #2 pitch. I think he threw 1 changeup (needs better command on it) and one curve (high hanger). He does appear to throw strikes (> Tyler Yates) though. The Pirates don't have a better option than Matt Capps for closer. Oh yeah, Karstens should have been in the game 2 batters earlier yesterday

That is the thing. Hanrahan reminds me too much of Yates. I like Yates, but a player of his type isn't worth much.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:50 pm 

Animal wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Please explain to me how I am hijacking your thread? Do you even know what hijacking means? It has nothing to do with what you do standing on your bed late at night when the lights are out... lol

Okay, you say he sucks. So how does he have value...especially to bring in something good?

Lol you still haven't addressed all the stupid ass comments you posted about Milledge. You are not credible because you went on for a week crying about Milledge cause you thought he was Dukes. :lol:
I think Capps still has some value now. His value will decline just like his conditioning and ability.
To who ever said if I would feel this if this Met incident didn't happen? Yes I still would feel it. I just felt this as the tipping point. He has been bad all year.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:41 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Colin21 wrote:
That is the thing. Hanrahan reminds me too much of Yates. I like Yates, but a player of his type isn't worth much.

Other than being a big guy with a fastball, I don't see any real similarities Colin.

Yates is a big, low movement fastball that he has trouble controlling.

Hanrahan has electric stuff that breaks all over the place, and hard. He has had trouble with control, but has much more to offer than Yates, IMO.

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:16 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Other than being a big guy with a fastball, I don't see any real similarities Colin.

Yates is a big, low movement fastball that he has trouble controlling.

Hanrahan has electric stuff that breaks all over the place, and hard. He has had trouble with control, but has much more to offer than Yates, IMO.

ZM

Hanrahan over uses his 2-seam fastball. It acts like he is out there to put on a radar gun show rather than to win a ball game.