Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do the Pirates say yes or say no to Sano?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:28 am 

Well today is July 2nd and that is the first day that Miguel Angel Sano can be signed.
Do you think he signs today and if so who with?

Post subject: Re: Do the Pirates say yes or say no to Sano?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:08 am 

I think this takes at least another week to play out. And I'm starting to think the Orioles pony up the most cash for him.

I could certainly be wrong on both counts though.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:18 am 

I agree at least another week to play out. I posted a Twitter from an ESPN writer who MLB is are still looking into age information so it will take time. Apparently the Pirates aren't concerned because they did their own testing.

Below is a post from DK this AM http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09183/981269-63.stm

From my perspective it's depressing since they say the Pirates won't be in the running if this approaches record territory (4.5M) and I think that's almost a guarantee. I hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:27 am 

BostonBuc wrote:
I agree at least another week to play out. I posted a Twitter from an ESPN writer who MLB is are still looking into age information so it will take time. Apparently the Pirates aren't concerned because they did their own testing.

Below is a post from DK this AM http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09183/981269-63.stm

From my perspective it's depressing since they say the Pirates won't be in the running if this approaches record territory (4.5M) and I think that's almost a guarantee. I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah after reading that i don't think we will end up signing him. I do think the Orioles will put the most money on the table because they lost out on Teixera, but would he want to play for them, they are in a rough division where they are going to have trouble no matter how good they become.
I think it will either be the Cardinals or Twins that he signs with, or sadly the Yankees because Jeter is getting up there in age.
I wonder though who the pitcher we are pursuing is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:19 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
I do think the Orioles will put the most money on the table because they lost out on Teixera, but would he want to play for them, they are in a rough division where they are going to have trouble no matter how good they become.

If the money's there, I don't see that being much of an obstacle, Colin. There's an awful lot going right in that organization at present, too.

The real wild card to me is the Twins. Pohlad is as notoriously tightfisted as the Nuttings, but they seem to be hanging in there.

I've not completely discounted the Pirates in this, though, especially if they're willing to budge off the initial $4.25M figure, as Perrotto reported today.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:02 pm 

The Cardinals signing of Wagner Mateo takes them completely out of the running, I would think.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:59 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
The Cardinals signing of Wagner Mateo takes them completely out of the running, I would think.

Yeah i think it does, and i am glad. I thought they could land him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:42 am 

It will be another week before he signs with anyone. I will guarantee you one thing, the Pirates will not poney up the most cash. If he signs with us, it will be for less then what other teams are offering. I really cant see that happening.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:33 am 

I don't think they will and I'm not sure that is such a bad thing either. $4+ million for a 16 year old? That's the equivalent of signing a sophmore in high school. Seems about as risky as you can get with a projection. I also wonder why the big spenders aren't in on this if he has such high upside? You're going to tell me NY, Boston, LA, and the Cubs can't afford him? I'm thinking they've done their risk vs. reward analyses and the results of these analyses are obvious.

I'm sure Sano is very good, but the fact that Baltimore, Minny, and Pittsburgh are leading the pack says a lot. What stinks is that this has been built up so much that not signing him will be a huge PR hit. Good for us though that NH has shown a complete disregard for what the public thinks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:22 am 

That was a very logical analysis from our distance of the situation. I have wanted good things to happen so badly, I have blindly thought we need him no matter. But if the big boys with the money aren't in interest, then how questionable is the investment in one so young?

Thanks for making me think about it before it happens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:41 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

One does not make his decisions based on what others think.

The Red Sox should in no way, determine Sano's worth to the Bucs.

This front office, thankfully, does not think like writers and bloggers. They have apparently set their value, and offered on it.

They should not go above the value set.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:45 am 

If the difference is $1 mil or less then they should pull the trigger. They have pi$$ed away far more money than that with far less return. They have spent 200 grand on 3 guys from Taiwan and 2 cricket players. It's like buying up Mediterranians and Vermonts in monopoly instead of Boardwalk and Park Place. Quality not quantity here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:50 am 

Argentum wrote:
I also wonder why the big spenders aren't in on this if he has such high upside? You're going to tell me NY, Boston, LA, and the Cubs can't afford him? I'm thinking they've done their risk vs. reward analyses and the results of these analyses are obvious.

Because it goes against their respective organizational philosophies to invest heavily in one player in the international draft. They'll pay top dollar everywhere else, but, with the exception of the Yankees — who got burned by paying a then-record $2.44M bonus to Wily Mo Pena in 1999 — none of the teams you mentioned have ever gone above a 6-figure bonus on an international prospect. They could sign 4-6 players for the price of one Sano or Ynoa.

That could certainly change in any given year depending on the talent available — and Sano sounds like the kind of talent that could change their minds — but historically it's teams like the Reds, Giants and Padres who gamble at the high rollers table on international talent.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/124288

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:47 pm 

Because it goes against their respective organizational philosophies to invest heavily in one player in the international draft.

Well, based on the names on that list, it seems like a pretty sound strategy. Agree?

Quote:
They could sign 4-6 players for the price of one Sano or Ynoa.

Or build another academy for that matter!

Quote:
That could certainly change in any given year depending on the talent available — and Sano sounds like the kind of talent that could change their minds — but historically it's teams like the Reds, Giants and Padres who gamble at the high rollers table on international talent.

That's all well and dandy, but considering how puffed up Sano has become, you'd think a heavy roller would greedily make the leap if he is really that good. Agree? I mean come on, the Yankees paid $26 miilion for the rights to Kei Igawa then gave him a five year $20 million contract.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:30 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Well, based on the names on that list, it seems like a pretty sound strategy. Agree?

Yeah, for teams that can afford to do things like...
Argentum wrote:
[pay] 26 miilion for the rights to Kei Igawa then [give] him a five year $20 million contract.

They can acquire talent anyway they want, at any price. I'd consider it a blessing that in this particular field of player acquisition, the Pirates' $$$ spend just the same as the Yanks or Sawx. For the present.

As to why they're not more involved on Sano, I frankly don't care.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:48 pm 

Argentum wrote:

Yeah, for teams that can afford to do things like...
Argentum wrote:
[pay] 26 miilion for the rights to Kei Igawa then [give] him a five year $20 million contract.

They can acquire talent anyway they want, at any price. I'd consider it a blessing that in this particular field of player acquisition, the Pirates' $$$ spend just the same as the Yanks or Sawx. For the present.

As to why they're not more involved on Sano, I frankly don't care.

I doubt it's divine intervention.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:10 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

If I'm the big spenders, I'm still trying to spend big money on immediate impact. Something Sano does not represent.

He is a project. That is why.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:10 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
They have pi$$ed away far more money than that with far less return. They have spent 200 grand on 3 guys from Taiwan and 2 cricket players.

You ever try to play one of these? It is extremely difficult.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:15 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I think they will pass on Sano and go after Aroldis Chapman :lol: