Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hinske or Jones?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:22 pm 

If the Yankees were interested in a "Hinske type player", why then didn't they go after Garrett Jones or even Jeff Salazar?

Post subject: Re: Hinske or Jones?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:31 pm 

Because Hinske has proven himself to be the better player in the majors. Neither Jones nor Salazar have had any success in the majors.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:38 pm 

Don't discount the false prestige of grabbing a headline like "Yanks Acquire Former ROY For Two Minor Leaguers." It gets casual fans pumped up over, essentially, a nonmove.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:25 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Don't discount the false prestige of grabbing a headline like "Yanks Acquire Former ROY For Two Minor Leaguers." It gets casual fans pumped up over, essentially, a nonmove.

Plus we paid half of his salary. I think it was just a better move than releasing him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:04 pm 

Willton wrote:
Because Hinske has proven himself to be the better player in the majors. Neither Jones nor Salazar have had any success in the majors.

Yes, but don't estimate the fact that Hinske has played previously in the AL East. You might be surprised, but on WEEI the update yesterday and this AM was the Hinske story and nothing about Milledge. That's because in the AL East they only care what other AL East teams are doing. Fans here also know that Hinkse was here when the Sox won the WS. Fans here assume the AL East is the best division (and they are are right) so they just don't pay attention to anything else.

I thought all year Hinske slacked, IMO it was because he was no longer contending (I posted about this before) and my gut is NH thought the same thing.

Post subject: Hinske Was a Good Signing Though
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:39 pm 

BostonBuc wrote:
Willton wrote:

Yes, but don't estimate the fact that Hinske has played previously in the AL East. You might be surprised, but on WEEI the update yesterday and this AM was the Hinske story and nothing about Milledge. That's because in the AL East they only care what other AL East teams are doing. Fans here also know that Hinkse was here when the Sox won the WS. Fans here assume the AL East is the best division (and they are are right) so they just don't pay attention to anything else.

I thought all year Hinske slacked, IMO it was because he was no longer contending (I posted about this before) and my gut is NH thought the same thing.

I think Hinske thought he was going to play more when the Bucs signed him. That may have been true had Andy LaRoche or Nyjer not taken off the way they did.

But his signing was good because he could have filled in at those positions if needed. And when he was not needed at those positions, he pinch hit, and did it fairly well.

Post subject: Re: Hinske Was a Good Signing Though
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:26 am 

Animal wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:
Willton wrote:

I think Hinske thought he was going to play more when the Bucs signed him. That may have been true had Andy LaRoche or Nyjer not taken off the way they did.

But his signing was good because he could have filled in at those positions if needed. And when he was not needed at those positions, he pinch hit, and did it fairly well.

I wish we could say the same thing about Ramon Vazquez. That guy has been a giant waste of money.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:28 am 

Quote:
I wish we could say the same thing about Ramon Vazquez. That guy has been a giant waste of money.

After looking at the list of free agent the off-season coming up, would you keep Vazquez? There isn't alot out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:40 am 

Colin21 wrote:
After looking at the list of free agent the off-season coming up, would you keep Vazquez? There isn't alot out there.

The Buccos signed him for two years.

Unfortunately.

His fielding is so bad that he cannot be put at SS, which is the position he is most needed to play as a back-up. Further, he hit well for Texas last year, but is not hitting at all this season. However, I must point out that his walk rate is extremely good and as a result, his OBP is .363. The horrible news is that every one of his hits thus far, with one exception, has been a single.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:49 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Unfortunately.

His fielding is so bad that he cannot be put at SS, which is the position he is most needed to play as a back-up. Further, he hit well for Texas last year, but is not hitting at all this season. However, I must point out that his walk rate is extremely good and as a result, his OBP is .363. The horrible news is that every one of his hits thus far, with one exception, has been a single.

Wow 21 singles, 1 double, 0 triples, 0 HR's, 10 runs scored, 8 RBI's, 22 for 86(.256), OBP of .363, OPS of .63, 1 stolen base, 14 walks which is decent, but here is what throws that down the drain, 23 strikeouts

Last edited by Colin21 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:55 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Unfortunately.

Wow 21 singles, 1 double, 0 triples, 0 HR's, 10 runs scored, 8 RBI's, 22 for 86(.256), OBP of .363, OPS of .63, 1 stolen base, 14 walks which is decent, but here is what throws that down the drain, 23 strikeouts

Here also are his 2008 stats, 60 singles, 18 doubles, 3 triples, 6 HR's, 44 runs scored, 40 RBI's, 87 for 300(.290), OPB of .795, 0 stolen bases(so that is up), 38 walks, 66 strikeouts.