Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Be the GM
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:11 am 

You have one player who was drafted in the 33rd round which means no one thought he could play. After struggling for many years, he gets a chance and does well for a while. Was at the top of his game but still no power, and couldn't hit left handers at all. He was cheap at this point and was most probably at the pinnacle of his game. He had speed but was a poor base runner and defensively was just learning to take better routes to the ball. His arm was average at best.

You have a chance to get a five tool man with head problems that range from not being able to keep it in his pants, to doing a rap song, to not hustling to first, to being late to meetings (2), to just in general displaying a poor attitude toward management and other players. But has power and potential to become an All-Star. He also is cheap at this point.

You have control over both players for four years and don't have to break the bank for either one of them.

Your team has plenty of outfielders coming in the next several years all with considerable talent developing in your system. So, neither one of these guys is needed long term.

Why not take a chance that maturity will strike this wayward one?

I guess in the final analysis, I'm with Neal on this one too.

Does that make sense to you?

Post subject: Re: Be the GM
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:36 am 

Yes i agree that i would have taken Milledge over Morgan. The part i diagree with is adding in Burnett for Hanrahan. I think Burnett is better than Hanrahan.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:20 am 

I am with you Colin. Burnett is a solid lefty reliever, Hanrahan is another flame thrower who can't get guys out.

We are suddenly very thin on lefty relievers, and have a surplus of right-handed power arms.

Then again, this coaching staff did manage to harness Meek and Chavez, so maybe they can do it with Hanrahan.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:31 am 

And hopefully Veal. A lefty.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:00 pm 

Forgot about Veal...Jackson probably gets sent back down once he's maxed out his DL stint

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:17 pm 

It isn't a bad deal, but it isn't a particurally good one, either.

I don't know that I would want anyone with the problems Milledge has had. Pro sports have been full of guys like that (TO anyone?), and in the end unless they have some sort of epiphany they wind up being more trouble than their worth. Talent means nothing if it isn't used correctly and with dignity.

I do think that it is pretty much a riskless trade, though, because should the worst case scenario play out I think that Garret Jones and Jeff Salazar will offset the loss of Morgan.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:38 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
It isn't a bad deal, but it isn't a particurally good one, either.

I don't know that I would want anyone with the problems Milledge has had. Pro sports have been full of guys like that (TO anyone?), and in the end unless they have some sort of epiphany they wind up being more trouble than their worth. Talent means nothing if it isn't used correctly and with dignity.

I do think that it is pretty much a riskless trade, though, because should the worst case scenario play out I think that Garret Jones and Jeff Salazar will offset the loss of Morgan.

Milledge shown he has power on the Major League level...He is now with a team that has a clue as to what they are doing...Baseball can handle a TO better than other sports leagues...

Burnett was a guy used for lefty hitters, while Hanrahan can be guy to go one or two innings, not one or two batters...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:48 pm 

Here's some interesting perspective on Hanrahan: http://www.whygavs.com/20090701411/pittsburgh-pirates/june-2009/just-a-few-more-words-about-the-trade.html. The money quote:
Quote:
Look at these numbers:

2008: 9.92 K/9, 4.48 BB/9, 0.96 HR/9
2009: 9.64 K/9, 3.86 BB/9, 0.83 HR/9

His strikeouts have dropped a bit, but his walks and homers have both improved this year, and yet somehow his ERA has jumped to 7.71. His Fielding Independent stats at THT are about this same from last year to this year, and his BABIP is a ridiculous .451. So really, the Nationals defense is bad and he's getting unlucky, and that's the only thing different between last year, when he was a promising young closer in the making, and this year when he's been terrible enough to be a toss-in on this sort of trade. He's a lot better than some Pirate fans think, and I'm not even sure there's anything to "fix" with him. A new uniform and a better defense behind him might be enough to get him back on track.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:59 pm 

Milledge's father say he is thrilled to be coming to our organization. At least that attitude is a step in the right direction.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:36 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Milledge's father say he is thrilled to be coming to our organization. At least that attitude is a step in the right direction.

Well wouldn't you be. The Nats are doomed. They aren't going to be good for about 10 years, we probably wont be good for 3 or 4 still.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:37 pm 

At this rate, the Nationals have a shot at breaking our record of 17 straight losing seasons...

Of course Baltimore isn't too far off either...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:59 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
At this rate, the Nationals have a shot at breaking our record of 17 straight losing seasons...

Of course Baltimore isn't too far off either...

I think this trade was made to try to keep the Nats from losing the most games ever in a single season. I wouldn't be suprised to see them make 1 or 2 more deals.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:12 am 

Dunn is only a few HR's short of having the same number as Washington wins...

No player has ever had as many or more HR's than wins...Dunn might be a first...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:32 pm 

Regarding Milledge:

High-fiving fans is a long way from TO's destruction of quarterbacks. So far Milledge has been very immature and done some impulsive and stupid things. I'm hoping that he matures and turns out OK. I'm guessing he won't be a TO or a Randy Moss and that he won't shoot himself in the leg with an unregistered gun.

It's true that he starts out on the negative side, but it's worth giving a chance to him and trying to help him crawl out of the hole he has dug for himself.