Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: You think Walk was told to chill out for being to critical?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:59 am 

Just wondering why he wasn't all over Moss, for doing his Craig Monroe impression on the k3/wild pitch, that led to Freddie scoring.

Seems lately he is holding back ripping into players(Pirates) , that make bone head plays or exhibit lack of hustle.

I don't know what Moss was thinking unless he didn't realize it was strike 3, or the ball got past the catcher, but that was total lack of hustle, and Walk should have pointed that out, and not played ostrich, and buried his head in the sand.
Maybe brass sent him a memo, with the orders to quit blasting the team, and look at their UPSIDE.
A good color man, someone who should tell it like it is, should have been all over Moss for that lack of hustle, not praising him for getting to first base before the throw. By the way, if that throw is a little higher, Freddie is dead meat at the plate, no question.
I don't recall if Walk was doing the commentary when Monroe pulled his act, but i am sure he may have been a little harsher. Racial profiling maybe?, no way, not on this team of high upside , young and coming major leaguers.

All he talked about after this play was the Havoc, or put your chips on Moss jingle he has been preaching every Ab he had.
I thought the Pirate Charities auction during the game action, was very annoying. Should have bought up half the commercial time, and ran their little skits between innings, instead of during them.

Good win though, seemed as if the team was playing pretty much on fumes. Thank the lord the cub's obliged and played an even flatter game.
Getting kind of sick of the emergence of the EFFIN Parrot, and how he is being increasingly part of the telecast.
I guess the more the obnoxious rat is focused on, the more parrot shirts, hats, and parrot bongs Nutting can sell to the millions out there in Pirate Land.

Keep up the good work NH!!!.

Post subject: Re: You think Walk was told to chill out for being to critical?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:08 am 

I have thought all year that the Pirates announcers have been being told what they can and cannot say anymore. Even down to Teke, i really can't stand to listen to him after games where we get blown out. He will say things like well we got beat 11-0 tonight but we put you a great defensive effort, or things along those lines. Why not just say we got smoked, nothing good came from tonight, let's hope things turn around tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:21 am 

Those guys all know where their bread is buttered. They don't need to be told to be pro-Pirate. It just comes with the territory. They can and do occassionally make comments but don't expect that on a daily basis-- they want to continue working.

Don't agree with your need to get all over Moss there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:12 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Because Moss did not do a Craig Monroe impression, that is why.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:56 am 

How about the charity crap last night... It was driving me crazy! Hey, I am all for charities and helping out those in need, but to spend the entire game rah rahing the specific "prizes" was insane!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:15 am 

We caught a break on that play for sure.

I counted 6 mistakes on that play alone. The pitcher threw a wild pitch and failed to catch the throw from the catcher. Moss swung at a pitch well out of the strike zone and failed to run hard to first. The catcher threw low to the pitcher on a relatively easy play. And Freddy should have stayed at third because on an ordinary throw he is a dead duck.

I thought the Monroe not running hard thing had to have been overblown. No way do you dump a player just because of that. There were other more important factors involved.

Players fail to run hard all the time, and ususally nothing is ever made of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:41 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
Because Moss did not do a Craig Monroe impression, that is why.

ZM

I agree. It almost looked like Moss was trying to argue that the bat made contact with his bat. He took off like a shot when he heard the screaming from the dugout.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:47 am 

Ted Lilly lollygagged to the plate, plain and simple. He was late and out of position tomake any play on Sanchez. I like the play by Sanchez. It forced the Cubs to make a tough play which they didn't. Mistakes like Lilliy's should never happen at that level. He didn't hustle or think.

And I didn't mind the Pirate Charities auction at all. Jeez, it's one game a year. My only problem was the length of time I was on hold to buy one of the equipment bags. The rep I got on the phone was gracious and informative. They also said that it would be possible to use the ticket voucher for handicapped seats to accommodate my elderly mother.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:57 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

And I didn't mind the Pirate Charities auction at all. Jeez, it's one game a year. My only problem was the length of time I was on hold to buy one of the equipment bags. The rep I got on the phone was gracious and informative. They also said that it would be possible to use the ticket voucher for handicapped seats to accommodate my elderly mother.

And the Pirate wives weren't so bad to look at either! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:04 am 

I can say this, Walkie was not holding anything back in his commentary during the Tiger series when poor Dontrelle Willis was walking guys right and left and several players including Jack Wilson were continually swinging at pitches and helping poor Dontrelle out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:50 pm 

I lost a good deal of respect for Walk, of which I had plenty, when he openly mocked and ridiculed the Pirates fans walkout two years ago, while on the air.

I didn't expect him to bite the hand that was feeding him, but he could have been a little more sympathetic to the fans who had been paying to see the garbage that this organization had been running out on the field since Clinton's first year in office.