Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snell thought about taking his own life
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:57 pm 

Was listening to ESPN national radio and besides laughing at the Pirates for their trades and the comments that some of the frustrated players made public, a TV station in Indy interviewed Snell and he stated he considered taking his own life....could not handle the stress.

Post subject: Re: Snell thought about taking his own life
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:27 pm 

estrago wrote:
Was listening to ESPN national radio and besides laughing at the Pirates for their trades and the comments that some of the frustrated players made public, a TV station in Indy interviewed Snell and he stated he considered taking his own life....could not handle the stress.

He needs alot of help. Baseball isn't everything.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:41 pm 

Snell thought about taking his life??? Seems fair....he's been killing us for the last two years.

This is nothing more than melodrama. Anyway, if he really thought about shooting himself, he would miss low and away.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:43 pm 

bradf wrote:
Snell thought about taking his life??? Seems fair....he's been killing us for the last two years.

This is nothing more than melodrama. Anyway, if he really thought about shooting himself, he would miss low and away.

Bradf, he's here all week. Try the veal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:45 pm 

bradf wrote:

Wow this is great Brad. I love it.
2 thumbs up!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:46 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
estrago wrote:

He needs alot of help. Baseball isn't everything.

That's sad. If he is at all serious I hope he gets help. He has talent and a lot of money, now he needs to find a way to get happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:47 pm 
 WWW  Profile

bradf wrote:

:lol: :D :lol:

Iowa State Cyclones (1-3) at #21 Oklahoma State Cowboys (3-1)
Boone Pickens Stadium
October 4, 2014
11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:30 am 
 WWW  Profile

bradf wrote:

While very funny, I think that this comment proves that he's on a destructive path. I'm expecting this guy to end up bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:13 am 

I hope that Snell can get help, if needed. I was intrigued to read about Grienke a few weeks ago. The young man has tremendous talent, but his mental state made it impossible for him to succeed.

He received help with depression, and is taking medication. He is now much happier day-to-day, and is able to harness his talents. Perhaps Snell could follow a similar path.

I am not going to crack wise on this. Mental problems are real - just as real as cancer, or diabetes. Mental disorders can limit or ruin lives just as much as cancer or diabetes. Nothing funny about any of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:26 am 

Snell is an attention whore, a headcase, and a terrible terrible teammate, and he will never again amount to anything as long as he wears a Pittsburgh uniform. Management has given up on him, and he has thrown his teammates under the bus to the point that they have given up on him, which is worse yet.

Opie could ship him somewhere for a Low A jabroni and nobody would be critical.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:19 am 

omgardd wrote:
Snell is an attention whore, a headcase, and a terrible terrible teammate, and he will never again amount to anything as long as he wears a Pittsburgh uniform. Management has given up on him, and he has thrown his teammates under the bus to the point that they have given up on him, which is worse yet.

Absolutely. Just in case someone didn't notice him in the corner pouting let's throw this out there to catch some more attention. I'm sorry, this guy is pathetic.

And I don't think for a minute that "mental disorders" should be lumped in with horrible diseases such as cancer. You control your life. You have bad days, weeks, years, maybe even stretches of years. But you make decisions, choose paths, and you are responsible for them. You make the best out of it. Here is a guy making 7 figures to throw a baseball, by his own admission has a beautiful wife(not sure about children), and can't take criticism so he says he thought about suicide??? Please....give me a break. I have NO time for this guy...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:39 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
omgardd wrote:

Absolutely. Just in case someone didn't notice him in the corner pouting let's throw this out there to catch some more attention. I'm sorry, this guy is pathetic.

And I don't think for a minute that "mental disorders" should be lumped in with horrible diseases such as cancer. You control your life. You have bad days, weeks, years, maybe even stretches of years. But you make decisions, choose paths, and you are responsible for them. You make the best out of it. Here is a guy making 7 figures to throw a baseball, by his own admission has a beautiful wife(not sure about children), and can't take criticism so he says he thought about suicide??? Please....give me a break. I have NO time for this guy...

Some mental disorders are bad and are not controllable by your own will power, but as for Snell i don't think that is the case. I don't think he ever intended to "kill himself" because of the criticism. He wants attention. Out of all the people that say they have mental issues i think 50% really do, and 50% do it for attention. I don't know forsure which side Snell falls on but my guess would be the attention side.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:34 am 

bradf wrote:

Too afraid to bring the heat inside to ring himself up?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:43 am 

Quote:
he contemplated suicide.
"Sometimes people do stupid stuff and I had to fight it, not to do something stupid and take my life for myself and from my family and my parents,"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31674893/ns ... napolis_in

This guy has problems. Those of you making fun of him or bashing him need to brush up on depression. He may not be a good teammate but this guy needs help.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:55 am 

***Disclaimer*** I'm not a doctor and my opinion is based solely on family experiences.

If this is all true, I'm willing to cut him some slack, but I know from experience that depression doesn't just pop-up when things go bad. It's always there. I don't recall him being depressed or suicidal when he was kicking butt in 2006 and 2007, and especially when he signed his new contract last year. I'd also add that depression doesn't cause people to blame everyone else for their perceived short comings, quite the opposite actually.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:10 am 

Let me be real clear. I don't intend to minimize the very real effects of depression. If Snell truly has problems with clinical depression, I absolutely hope he gets the help he needs. What I see of his behavior (granted, from a long distance), does not compel me to think he truly suffers with depression.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:16 am 

estrago wrote:
This guy has problems. Those of you making fun of him or bashing him need to brush up on depression. He may not be a good teammate but this guy needs help.

This coming from the guy under a previous name making similar comments?

I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:50 am 

Jabroni? I had to look that one up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:08 pm 

you can not take his action lightly

http://www.stvincent.org/ourservices/me ... uicide.htm

Post subject: WOW!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:50 pm 

This is the first I had heard of this. It would explain a lot of things. Trust me, mental health IS a disease, as serious as any other. Uncontrollable. You know they call addiction and alcoholism diseases too, but these are brought on by oneself. Mental health is not. Sometimes, people just cannot control their actions because of demons inside their head. It really is nothing to make light of. I hope for his PERSONAL LIFE, he can get this all behind him. Baseball is secondary.