Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who Is Going To Replace Nyjer??
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:06 pm 

Did anybody hear of Pirates plans? Are they going to put Milledge on roster or leave him in minors? Hopefully, he will never see Pittsburgh. If he does, I suspect we will see him arrested in one of the drug districts. What was Huntingdon thinking?

Post subject: Re: Who Is Going To Replace Nyjer??
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:09 pm 

Geez Animal, cut him some slack. He can change. As for the question, I'm guessing the new outfield is Moss/Cutch/Young.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:37 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Geez Animal, cut him some slack. He can change. As for the question, I'm guessing the new outfield is Moss/Cutch/Young.

I would not mind seeing Young play at all. I guess Pearce will play some more.

The guy deserves no slack. It's not like he had one episode or two. He has had tons. He will never be a successful major leaguer. I just hope he doesn't tear the rest of the team down.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:39 pm 

I don't know Milledge will be around much....he's hurt, and will probably be in the drunk tank on occasion. I hope I'm wrong, but his history is not good.

Moss can't hit his way out a paper bag....

The pitchers, though, may make this a decent deal in the long run. Everything the bucs do is for the long run. Problem is, the long run never arrives.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:42 pm 

Well I know one thing for certain, the "why do we always trade our best/most popular players" crowd just became a lot more annoying.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:46 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Well I know one thing for certain, the "why do we always trade our best/most popular players" crowd just became a lot more annoying.

I have no problem trading Morgan. He was never going to be a long term answer, but I think he could be a good bench guy. But what he was most is a great team player, good guy, enjoyable, and fun to watch. Replacing that with a criminal clubhouse cancer, with no heart is horrible.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:51 pm 

Animal wrote:
Argentum wrote:

I have no problem trading Morgan. He was never going to be a long term answer, but I think he could be a good bench guy. But what he was most is a great team player, good guy, enjoyable, and fun to watch. Replacing that with a criminal clubhouse cancer, with no heart is horrible.

My comment wasn't directed at you Animal, it was a general observation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:52 pm 

Animal wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Where are you getting your info on Milledge? Here's what DK had to say earlier today:
Quote:
Just talked to someone in D.C., who vouches for Milledge being a good person and bright, albeit immature in some ways as it regards the baseball culture.
What is your source?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:58 pm 
 WWW  Profile

My only regret with Nyjer is that he never cashed in some sweet promo opportunities with Captain Morgan rum. Morgan the Pirate was more marketable to them than Morgan the National.

I'd say go with Delwyn Young in Njyer's old spot. I'd say Pearce, but I think he'll be needed at 1B if/when we dump Adam LaRoche. I also wouldn't be surprised if Jeff Salazar got promoted. He doesn't have great MLB career numbers, but he has played before (Rockies and D-Backs). He obviously wouldn't be the long-term answer, but he could man the post until October.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:00 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Animal wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Where are you getting your info on Milledge? Here's what DK had to say earlier today:
Quote:
Just talked to someone in D.C., who vouches for Milledge being a good person and bright, albeit immature in some ways as it regards the baseball culture.
What is your source?

I recall reading about many things over the years. Just do a google search on him and see what you find. I guess we will find this all out soon enough. Unfortunately. I just hope the Pirates keep him on a short leash.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:01 pm 

eStragand wrote:
My only regret with Nyjer is that he never cashed in some sweet promo opportunities with Captain Morgan rum. Morgan the Pirate was more marketable to them than Morgan the National.

I'd say go with Delwyn Young in Njyer's old spot. I'd say Pearce, but I think he'll be needed at 1B if/when we dump Adam LaRoche. I also wouldn't be surprised if Jeff Salazar got promoted. He doesn't have great MLB career numbers, but he has played before (Rockies and D-Backs). He obviously wouldn't be the long-term answer, but he could man the post until October.

According to DK, Salazar will be called up tomorrow. DK also reports that Wilson is unhappy with the trade. Both at: http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/default.aspx Break out the number candles.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:09 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
eStragand wrote:

According to DK, Salazar will be called up tomorrow. DK also reports that Wilson is unhappy with the trade. Both at: http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/default.aspx Break out the number candles.

Wilson is absolutely right. As I have said before, although I did not like them, I can at least understand the trades of McLouth, Nady, Bay, etc. This move make absolutely no sense. Even Huntingdon concurrs that Milledge needs maturing and proper guidance to even have a CHANCE to make this a successful trade. And those are only about his OFF FIELD problems. What concerns me more, is his on-field problems.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:10 pm 

Animal wrote:
I recall reading about many things over the years. Just do a google search on him and see what you find. I guess we will find this all out soon enough. Unfortunately. I just hope the Pirates keep him on a short leash.

So your visceral reaction is based on hearsay and vague recollections? I did do a google search and didn't find much. There was the incident when he was 17 which I don't want to minimize but basically amounted to him, a teenage boy, getting caught having sex with teenage girls. After that, it looks like all minor stuff, maybe a little bit of an attitude as a rookie that brought some ire from his veteran teammates, a rap video with some bad words in it. If you've got a legitimate beef with him, go ahead and air it. But maybe you ought to do some research before you throw him under the bus...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Animal wrote:

So your visceral reaction is based on hearsay and vague recollections? I did do a google search and didn't find much. There was the incident when he was 17 which I don't want to minimize but basically amounted to him, a teenage boy, getting caught having sex with teenage girls. After that, it looks like all minor stuff, maybe a little bit of an attitude as a rookie that brought some ire from his veteran teammates, a rap video with some bad words in it. If you've got a legitimate beef with him, go ahead and air it. But maybe you ought to do some research before you throw him under the bus...

I've done plenty of research. The guy will never be successful and never be a good player. Leopards don't change their spots. Just ask the Cubs about Milton Bradley.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:31 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Bradley has had a pretty good career.

I'll take Bradley's numbers from Milledge, and I haven't heard of Milledge spitting on people in stands...

... but that may be because he won't bother to run ALL the way over to spitting range.

My problem with Milledge is pretty much his lack of hustle.

However, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised from a GM raised in an organization that had no problems taking on Manny, Albert and many other head cases...

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:04 pm 

Animal wrote:
Argentum wrote:

I would not mind seeing Young play at all. I guess Pearce will play some more.

The guy deserves no slack. It's not like he had one episode or two. He has had tons. He will never be a successful major leaguer. I just hope he doesn't tear the rest of the team down.

Perhaps you'd care to list a few of his terrible incidents so that we can know what you're talking about.

As for tearing the team down, they are in last place. Are they going to finish lower than last?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:05 pm 

Animal wrote:

In other words, you don't have a clue what you're talking about. What a shock.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:08 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
eStragand wrote:

Jack Wilson can kiss my fat a$$.

If Jack would like just one example of a good trade for a prospect, I'll skip past an obvious one like Giles for Bay and Perez and point out this one.

Jason Christianson for Jack Wilson.

What a jackass.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:09 pm 

Animal wrote:
burghermeister wrote:
Animal wrote:

I've done plenty of research. The guy will never be successful and never be a good player. Leopards don't change their spots. Just ask the Cubs about Milton Bradley.

You can't even name a single one of these terrible things, can you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:13 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
You can't even name a single one of these terrible things, can you?

Since being called out on this, Animal's silence has been deafening.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.