Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: WE ARE 6 GAMES OUT!!!!!! WAKE UP NEAL!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:58 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Okay i will agree with you that Milledge has a bigger upside than Nyjer, but why does Hanrahan have a bigger upside over Burnett. Burnett is over a year younger, he is a lefty, and he has an ERA barely over 3.00 right now. Hanrahan doesn't measure up to him in my opinion, he is over a year older and he has an ERA over 7.00.

Burnett does not have the stuff to equal Hanrahan. Hanrahan has consistently struck out batters at a rate higher than a batter per inning (or over 9 K/9) while maintaining a walk rate of around 4 BB/9. Sean Burnett has been worse at issuing walks and has not even come close to the strikeout rate of Hanrahan.

So why does Hanrahan have a higher ERA this year? One word: defense. Washington's fielding defense, especially in the outfield, is atrocious, and Hanrahan's batting average against has skyrocketed as a result. Meanwhile, Sean Burnett, who has worse peripherals than Hanrahan, has been pitching in front of the 3rd best fielding defense in the MLB (the Dodgers and Cubs are 1st and 2nd, respectively), and the Pirate defense has been very good at preventing Sean Burnett's batted balls from turning into hits. This is why ERA is a flawed statistic for measuring pitcher ability: it is very dependent on fielding defense.

Post subject: Re: WE ARE 6 GAMES OUT!!!!!! WAKE UP NEAL!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:20 am 

Willton wrote:
So why does Hanrahan have a higher ERA this year? One word: defense. Washington's fielding defense, especially in the outfield, is atrocious, and Hanrahan's batting average against has skyrocketed as a result. Meanwhile, Sean Burnett, who has worse peripherals than Hanrahan, has been pitching in front of the 3rd best fielding defense in the MLB (the Dodgers and Cubs are 1st and 2nd, respectively), and the Pirate defense has been very good at preventing Sean Burnett's batted balls from turning into hits. This is why ERA is a flawed statistic for measuring pitcher ability: it is very dependent on fielding defense.

Well, in all fairness, D.C.'s outfield defense takes a significant step forward with this trade, while Pittsburgh's will probably revert to closer to league average. Still think overall it's a big win for the Pirates, though, on both players.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.