Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WE ARE 6 GAMES OUT!!!!!! WAKE UP NEAL!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:38 pm 

THIS TEAM STILL HAS A SHOT, MY GOSH IF THEY CAN GET IT TO 3 OR 4 BY THE BREAK WE ARE RIGHT IN CONTENTION!! Man this angers me, this team is fighting its guts out and when Doumit comes back we can make a run at the wide open Central. This is a joke.

Post subject: Re: WE ARE 6 GAMES OUT!!!!!! WAKE UP NEAL!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:40 pm 

What's a joke?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:41 pm 

destroying a team, that has fought sooo hard to even stay 6 out, what does this say to the players??? why even try?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:58 pm 

DoeyDoumit

Do you not understand the business of baseball....or should I say, the Pirates business of baseball? Wilton will tell you all about it. You see, you have to lose and lose to get better players. See the Coonelly Speaks thread....man get with the program. The Pirates are conducting business the right way according to Wilton.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:03 pm 

You guys are going to be devouring some serious crow in the near future. When Alvarez, Tabata and a few other acquisitions put us on the winning track, you guys will never admit the role Huntington played in making it happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:08 pm 

estrago wrote:
DoeyDoumit

Do you not understand the business of baseball....or should I say, the Pirates business of baseball? Wilton will tell you all about it. You see, you have to lose and lose to get better players. See the Coonelly Speaks thread....man get with the program. The Pirates are conducting business the right way according to Wilton.

With Milledge and Hanrahan, the Pirates actually increased payroll. How do you explain that?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:10 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
estrago wrote:
DoeyDoumit

With Milledge and Hanrahan, the Pirates actually increased payroll. How do you explain that?

And we are paying $400k of Hinske's salary to play in NYY.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:35 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
estrago wrote:
DoeyDoumit

Increased Payroll and Decreased team!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:49 pm 

estrago wrote:
DoeyDoumit

I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:54 pm 

Dan you beat me to it-- but WOW are you on target.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:52 pm 

DoeyDoumit wrote:
THIS TEAM STILL HAS A SHOT, MY GOSH IF THEY CAN GET IT TO 3 OR 4 BY THE BREAK WE ARE RIGHT IN CONTENTION!! Man this angers me, this team is fighting its guts out and when Doumit comes back we can make a run at the wide open Central. This is a joke.

We are six games out WITH FIVE TEAMS IN FRONT OF US. If we were six games out in second place, then a run at the division title would be reasonable. It is unlikely nearly to the point of impossibility that we can climb past all five teams in out division.

I'm hoping that all the people that I've seen here and elsewhere who think that the current Pirate team is a true contender are very young. If they are, then they've never seen a quality Pirates team that is worthy of contention, so they might have a hard time seeing past the games behind column and see this team for what it really is: a bad team in the process of climbing towards mediocrity.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:53 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
You guys are going to be devouring some serious crow in the near future. When Alvarez, Tabata and a few other acquisitions put us on the winning track, you guys will never admit the role Huntington played in making it happen.

Not true. They'll be claiming that they supported him right down the line.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:00 pm 

Whether or not the Pirates are in contention is a good question for debate, but I'm not sure how these moves made us worse. I think they quite possibly made us better....right now AND in the future. We got younger, we got more talented. Even though I like Morgan, he is not very likely to be more than what you see right now. Millidge has much more upside.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:46 pm 

Was it not long ago that many were calling for NH's head for thinking Morgan was an everyday LFer? All of a sudden Morgan became Babe Ruth... Was I asleep or something?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:13 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Was it not long ago that many were calling for NH's head for thinking Morgan was an everyday LFer? All of a sudden Morgan became Babe Ruth... Was I asleep or something?

Heh. Isn't that the truth? If you had said before the season the NH could trade Nyjer Morgan for Lastings Milledge, you'd have been committed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:21 pm 

I've been critical of most of these trades.....and still am critical of this "revolving door" way of running a ball club. Stability and continuity are important, too, much more important than a lot of the sophisticates that populate this board seem to think.

That being said, I do think this deal may be OK. However, I am not sold on Milledge.....every time I've seen him or heard about him it was because he was a classless jerk. It's been my experience in past situations in business and other endeavors that quite often those guys are more trouble than they are worth, despite any natural ability they may have.

But, I'm not sure Milledge is the center piece of this deal. It gave them potentially a good pitcher.....and enabled them to bring up Garret Jones and probably Jeff Salazar. Those guys can offset the loss of Morgan by themselves.

If Milledge works out great.....but if he continues to be a moron then I would send him packing real quick.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:05 am 

This was a great baseball move. The Pirates did exactly what they needed to do. Traded two players at there peak value for two players with a ton more upside, at there lowest value to date. Only uneducated baseball fans can not see the theory behind this. Is Milledge that answer, who knows. Does he posses a higher upside, YES.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:46 am 

bigdawg6954 wrote:
This was a great baseball move. The Pirates did exactly what they needed to do. Traded two players at there peak value for two players with a ton more upside, at there lowest value to date. Only uneducated baseball fans can not see the theory behind this. Is Milledge that answer, who knows. Does he posses a higher upside, YES.

Okay i will agree with you that Milledge has a bigger upside than Nyjer, but why does Hanrahan have a bigger upside over Burnett. Burnett is over a year younger, he is a lefty, and he has an ERA barely over 3.00 right now. Hanrahan doesn't measure up to him in my opinion, he is over a year older and he has an ERA over 7.00.
The Nationals offered Milledge for Morgan straight up and we turned it down, because we said we wanted another player also. I think we should have just taken the one for one deal of Nyjer for Milledge. Or have seen if the Nats would give up Milledge and Hanrahan for Nyjer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:30 am 
 WWW  Profile

Colin21 wrote:
Okay i will agree with you that Milledge has a bigger upside than Nyjer, but why does Hanrahan have a bigger upside over Burnett. Burnett is over a year younger, he is a lefty, and he has an ERA barely over 3.00 right now. Hanrahan doesn't measure up to him in my opinion, he is over a year older and he has an ERA over 7.00.

Once you see him pitch you'll see why. He's got it from the "stuff" standpoint.

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:57 am 

Colin21 wrote:
bigdawg6954 wrote:

The Nationals offered Milledge for Morgan straight up and we turned it down, because we said we wanted another player also. I think we should have just taken the one for one deal of Nyjer for Milledge. Or have seen if the Nats would give up Milledge and Hanrahan for Nyjer.

Burnett is a situational relief pitcher...his numbers are good because he's there to get lefty batters out...Hanrahan depending what they do with him could be a setup man, or a closer in the future...

I think his ERA is inflated by the horrible defense Washington has...He's coming to a team that has 4 very good defenders in Andy, Jack, Freddy, and McCutchen...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...