Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates trade for Hanrahan and Milledge/Lose Morgan/Burnett
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:33 am 

One thing that's worth saying: While I personally am happy with the trade, that doesn't mean I'm happy to see Nyjer Morgan go. In may ways, he's been a breath of fresh air. I can understand the sadness in the Pirates clubhouse yesterday. I will always follow and root for Nyjer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:13 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
omgardd wrote:
Milledge is 23 years old and in the not too distant past, was considered one of the best prospects in the game, all he needs is to mature a little bit, and I think playing with Cutch is gonna do him some good.

All he needs to do is change his attitude, outlook, and behavior. In other words, do something that almost nobody can ever do.

Lastings Milledge has behavior issues that are not going to change. He is who he is. And who he is, has not been good over the past several years. Inappropriate behavior with young - YOUNG - girls; jogging to first on ground balls; walking in to pick up a single into center field.

Will he look at this trade as a new opportunity, and hustle? Make the most of his talent? Work hard? Maybe. But do not be surprised if he fails to change at all and continues with the same behavior that he has exhibited his entire life, up to this point.

And I feel compelled to say that my personal experience may be affecting my view. I have been around very, very talented players who hustled, worked hard and were always supporting of teammates. I have also been around even more talented players who whined about their play time, cared more about their individual stats than the interests of the team, and really did not care about their teammates.

Playing with the first group was a pleasure and those guys made the entire team better. The latter group made playing a game seem like punishment.

These guys live together for 6 months. A player who has a really bad attitude can infect a team, and cause more damage than can be appreciated until the player is finally gone.

I hope to God that Milledge is not one of those players who pollutes the clubhouse, particularly of a team that may not have much veteran leadership in a few weeks. I pray that I am totally wrong about him. I really, seriously do.

Cuz, you know, you need a real clean, unpolluted clubhouse to win three straight championships. Just as the A's of the '70s.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:25 pm 

Been having fun reading twitter feeds of Rocco Demaro and others the past few days. Here's a fun one that someone sent to Rocco:

"Just a note on the Morgan trade; MLB 09 The Show wouldn't let me trade Nyger for Lastings because I wasn't giving up enough."

"MLB 09 The Show", I assume, is a video game.