Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates trade for Hanrahan and Milledge/Lose Morgan/Burnett
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:23 pm 

I thought we could use a new topic for this. What are your thoughts I think this is a good deal for the bucs. Hanrahan has been really good and Milledge has a ton of talent to be really good. Morgan is older and the Nats might have overpayed. I also wonder if trading Burnett was a smart decision.

Post subject: Re: Pirates trade for Hanrahan and Milledge/Lose Morgan/Burnett
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:30 pm 

Hanrahan has an ERA of 7.71.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:36 pm 

should have substituted Snell, pay half of his remaining contract, and be done with him.

I thought guys on the dl could not be traded, guess i am wrong on that one.

I guess when he is ready to play(Milledge) , he is going to be put right in there, i imagine.

Everyone who has seen this guy play knows the ability is there, only problem has been his brain has been getting in the way.
Maybe that demotion back to AAA, and the chance to start with a clean slate by the Pirates will bring out the best in him.
If this don't work out, Then Tabata /and or Hernandez, one of those 2, could challenge for the LF's job in 2010.

I am willing to give NH the benefit of the doubt on this one, at least for the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:38 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Hanrahan has an ERA of 7.71.

Yeah, that is probably the lowest out of the Nationals bull pen.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:39 pm 

I'm not too thrilled with this one.

I like Burnett and felt like he was just going to get better the more he played. And Milledge scares the shit out of me. The guy has issues, obviously. I will say now, I hope he changes his ways and uses his talent for once. I was never that big of a Morgan fan anyway, so that's not a huge deal for me.

This is a wait and see kind of trade.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:44 pm 

Milledge doesn't scare me I always wanted the Pirates to get him cause I liked his talent level.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:46 pm 

Talent does not equal performance.

Lots of talented players over the years have pissed it away with attitude problems or lack of heart. He has shown both of those so far in his career.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:47 pm 
 WWW  Profile

It'll be interesting to see these two guys come back to Pittsburgh at the end of July/beginning of August.

Nyjer was a fun-loving guy and seemed genuine. Burnett was a guy who seemed to be coming into his own over the past few months and is becoming a good bullpen pitcher. I wish them both the best in their future endeavors.

Post subject: HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:49 pm 

This may be the worst trade he has made. I had no problem trading the others for prospects...but to bring in a guy who is nothing but a cancer is horrible.

For the first time in my life, I am going to boo a Pirate. I WILL NOT cheer for a player such as Milledge.

Post subject: One more thing....
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:51 pm 

The Pirates are a weaker team. Hopefully they can flip Milledge somewhere else.

Another concern of mine is that Cutch had been watching Morgan. I hope he does not watch Milledge and think thats how you play the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:58 pm 

palushock wrote:
should have substituted Snell, pay half of his remaining contract, and be done with him.

I thought guys on the dl could not be traded, guess i am wrong on that one.

I guess when he is ready to play(Milledge) , he is going to be put right in there, i imagine.

Everyone who has seen this guy play knows the ability is there, only problem has been his brain has been getting in the way.
Maybe that demotion back to AAA, and the chance to start with a clean slate by the Pirates will bring out the best in him.
If this don't work out, Then Tabata /and or Hernandez, one of those 2, could challenge for the LF's job in 2010.

I am willing to give NH the benefit of the doubt on this one, at least for the rest of the season.

Milledge is NOT on the Nationals DL. He's on the Syracuse roster...was optioned there on 4/14. That's the DL he's been on...and it sounded like Syracuse was ready to activate him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:01 pm 

I don't think we have to worry about Cutch picking up bad habits from Milledge. I think Cutch has a good head on his shoulders.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:14 pm 

Who else can we send Washington? I wAnt Bryce Harper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:33 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
Who else can we send Washington? I wAnt Bryce Harper

LOL. I am usually an optimist for our front office moves, but I think we got hosed badly on this one. I don't like either one of these players we got.

The only thing I can think of is maybe Kerrigan thinks he can fix Hanrahan's problems. Burnett was a serviceable guy out of the pen. What happens if we trade Grabow now? We are lacking left handed options. Maybe Gorzo?

EDIT: maybe we plan on hanging onto Grabow until the end of the year and taking the supplemental pick, which I can see how this makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:09 pm 

The sky is falling again. If it ever happens I won't believe you poor Pirate guys. While I want to wait on this one with serious questions about Milledge's behavior and team attitude, NH has been good up until now. So, I willing to give him the benefit here until we see what these two do as Pirates.

I know Morgan was popular and thus trading him will be unpopular. But honestly this was by far his best performance as a player and therefore was at the top of his game with no where to go but down. Trade when you can get the best value for him. That part I'm good with. Bay, Nady, Nate, and now Morgan were all popular guys. It takes guts to step up and take the wrath of the fans on these moves.

My real fear is that Lastings might be a disruptive force in the clubhouse. That would sour almost everyone on this move. But I want to be fair and judge him on his actions as a Pirate. Let's hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 pm 

While I dont really want Milledge, he is better than Morgan...

Neal traded Morgan while he was hot and before he went into another month long slump...

Now Morgan can make up some ground Dunn cant cover...

Overall I think this is a good trade...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:30 pm 

If this deal had happened a year ago, what would the reaction have been? Morgan is going to be 30. Nationals need bullpen help, badly. Burnett was the key for the Nats. Remember, the Nats are going nowhere. Their GM got canned for allegedly taking kickbacks from latin agents. They have regressed since being the Expos if that is possible. Let Jack Wilson piss and moan. I am ambivalent about this deal. I still don't think Capps is the real deal and I don't think the front office thinks he is either. Hanrahan has some upside and we will see about Milledge. I see Moss going to left and Young getting more time in right. It that all bad? We shall see.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:38 pm 

I knew this board consisted of members from a mirror planet, but c'mon. The Pirates get nothing for Jason Bay, and everybody here considers it a good trade. The Pirates absolutely swindeled the Nats on this one and the trade is panned. I don't get it. Nyjer Morgan is almost 30 is being traded at his absolute peak, in no way is he ever going to get any better than he is right now. Milledge is 23 years old and in the not too distant past, was considered one of the best prospects in the game, all he needs is to mature a little bit, and I think playing with Cutch is gonna do him some good.

Applause Opie.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:55 pm 

Ryann wrote:
I thought we could use a new topic for this. What are your thoughts I think this is a good deal for the bucs. Hanrahan has been really good and Milledge has a ton of talent to be really good. Morgan is older and the Nats might have overpayed. I also wonder if trading Burnett was a smart decision.

A fine, fine deal. One fifth outfielder and a LOOGY for Milledge and Hanrahan. A damn fine move.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:58 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
Talent does not equal performance.

Lots of talented players over the years have pissed it away with attitude problems or lack of heart. He has shown both of those so far in his career.

Do you call what Morgan has been doing at the plate and on the bases "performance"? I grant you that his defense is top notch. Nevertheless, top notch defense in left field does not compensate for having the bat of a mediocre shortstop and bad baserunning.