Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I got a situation Question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:19 pm 

I understand how if a player leaves his team for free agency that team is compensated with a draft pick if that player was a type a or b free agent. My question is what if that player would die unexpectedly during the season? Would his team be compensated by his death if he was type a or b player?

Post subject: Re: I got a situation Question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:39 pm 

Ryann wrote:
I understand how if a player leaves his team for free agency that team is compensated with a draft pick if that player was a type a or b free agent. My question is what if that player would die unexpectedly during the season? Would his team be compensated by his death if he was type a or b player?

That's a weird question, but I guess with Milledge's history certainly valid. I guess at any time he could have a drug overdose, DUI crash, get shot by a drug dealer, or some teenage girl's irate father!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:41 pm 

Animal wrote:
Ryann wrote:

That's a weird question, but I guess with Milledge's history certainly valid. I guess at any time he could have a drug overdose, DUI crash, get shot by a drug dealer, or some teenage girl's irate father!

Sheesh, Animal. Are you the new Rod Serling? Hijacking every thread with derogatory comments about Milledge. Get a grip.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:44 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Animal wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Sheesh, Animal. Are you the new Rod Serling? Hijacking every thread with derogatory comments about Milledge. Get a grip.

This is absolutely horrible. This is the one move that might finally put me over the edge after 40+ years as a Pirate fan. I can tolerate nearly every deal made by the Bucs as having kind of positive, some kind of future expectation...(except of the Ramirez deal). But this is worse than them all. This deal cost us money, cost us a good team player, and replaced him with a guy who has been nothing but a criminal and team cancer. That is very difficult for me to accept. Sorry.

Let's look at some of Milledges stats:
.167 average.
Not good enough to play for the worst team in baseball.

Horrible defense.
Career fielding pct of .984 as an OF. That is bad.
Does not run out balls.
Does not hustle in OF.

Numerous run-ins with fans and teammates.
6 criminal arrests.
4 kids with 6 girls.

Hitting a whoping .253 in minors with 1 HR.

The Pirates have many better OF options than Milledge. It would be a shame if he would take playing time from ANY of them at ANY level of the Pirates organization!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:19 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

What, again, was Tabata hitting when acquired?

What was his reputation?

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:27 pm 

Animal wrote:
6 criminal arrests.

I'm not finding any evidence of this anywhere. I think you might have Milledge confused with his fellow National, Elijah Dukes, who has been arrested multiple times. I'd suggest you either stop throwing out this allegation or provide a source.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:30 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Animal wrote:
6 criminal arrests.

I'm not finding any evidence of this anywhere. I think you might have Milledge confused with his fellow National, Elijah Dukes, who has been arrested multiple times. I'd suggest you either stop throwing out this allegation or provide a source.

Here's an article on Elijah Duke's problems with the law: http://www.sptimes.com/2007/05/24/Rays/Elijah_Dukes__trouble.shtml. I count six bullets for six total arrests. I can find no equivalent information on Milledge.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:31 pm 

4 kids with 6 girls??????

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:36 pm 

Ohio_PiratesFan wrote:
4 kids with 6 girls??????

Heh. Nice trick.

Here's a quote from an article on espn from March 17th (http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/flb/story?page=mlbdk2k9_30qnationals):
Quote:
It would be a mistake to paint Milledge and Dukes with precisely the same brush. While Milledge did some knuckleheaded things in New York to alienate his Mets teammates, he's never been a particularly bad citizen. Meanwhile, Dukes has been arrested at least three times for battery and assault, has fathered at least five children with four women and has had a restraining order filed against him by his wife because he allegedly threatened to kill her.

Me thinks Animal is confusing Milledge with Dukes. Care to comment, Animal?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:38 pm 

I just googled "Lastings Milledge," "arrests," and "criminal record" and came up with nothing more than rehashed stories of his stupid rap song and how he got expelled from H.S. for having sex with a minor (while he, too, was a minor, incidentally.)

I did however find a nice little blog piece from a Mets fan written shortly prior to Milledge's trade to D.C. Seems lots of Mets fans thought his thug rep was overblown and that he'd turned into a good citizen and ballplayer.

http://metsarebetterthansex.blogspot.com/2007/09/praising-lastings-milledge.html

So, Animal, you've put me in the regrettable position of agreeing with Ryann for once. It seems you're talking out of your ass on this one. Habeus corpus, dude.

And if I dare catch you praising Santonio Holmes or James Harrison during Steeler season, you better believe I'll call bullshit on you.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:51 pm 

Can anyone answer my question. Look talk about milledge in his threads. I will say that Milledge wasn't arrested 6 times. He has a ton of potential and down the road animal will be praising this move.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:29 pm 

Animal wrote:
This is absolutely horrible. This is the one move that might finally put me over the edge after 40+ years as a Pirate fan. I can tolerate nearly every deal made by the Bucs as having kind of positive, some kind of future expectation...(except of the Ramirez deal). But this is worse than them all. This deal cost us money, cost us a good team player, and replaced him with a guy who has been nothing but a criminal and team cancer. That is very difficult for me to accept. Sorry.

Let's look at some of Milledges stats:
.167 average.
Not good enough to play for the worst team in baseball.

Dude, it's 24 at bats.

Gee, I wonder why you ignored his career numbers in favor of this year's 24 at bats, especially when you go to the trouble of looking up his career fielding percentage in the very next paragraph. Could it be because you're grasping at any straw to support your weak argument?

Quote:
Horrible defense.
Career fielding pct of .984 as an OF. That is bad.

I'll pass on the pointing out the obvious fact that fielding percentage is a lousy stat for rating a player's defense, and settle for pointing out that the average fielding percentage for outfielders over the course of Milledge's major league career is...

That's right, Milledge's defensive performance as measured by fielding percentage is exactly AVERAGE, not bad.

Quote:
Does not run out balls.
Does not hustle in OF.

I have no opinion on these, as I haven't seen him play enough. I'd be willing to bet that you haven't either.

Quote:
Numerous run-ins with fans and teammates.

Really? Describe a few for us.

Quote:
6 criminal arrests.

Really? List a few of them for us.

Quote:
4 kids with 6 girls.

Do I have to start telling all the stories about how big of a whore Babe Ruth was?

Quote:
Hitting a whoping .253 in minors with 1 HR.

In a whopping 79 at bats. Sample size. Look it up. Learn what it means. Take it to heart. And, while you're at it, note that his career minor league batting average is .300.

I'm not a huge Lastings Milledge fan. I think that he's blessed with tremendous ability, but I have no idea if he will ever develop into a solid major leaguer or not. But I do know what we gave up to find out: nothing. A fifth outfielder and a LOOGY.

So you have carefully picked and chosen statistics so as to present Milledge in the worst possible light, and you keep telling us what a criminal he is, though you can't seem to remember the facts behind any of these horrible crimes. So what is it that you really have against the guy?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:14 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Can anyone answer my question. Look talk about milledge in his threads. I will say that Milledge wasn't arrested 6 times. He has a ton of potential and down the road animal will be praising this move.

I don't think you're going to get your question answered from this crowd, but I imagine that the team gets no compensation for the death of a player, aside from not having to pay his salary. See the Yankees and Corey Lidle; the Angels and Nick Adenhart.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:38 pm 

Animal wrote:
Ryann wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:53 pm 

Animal, you are making yourself look silly. Even Ryann can see it is a good deal, and he aint the brightest bulb.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:24 pm 

JimY wrote:
Animal, you are making yourself look silly. Even Ryann can see it is a good deal, and he aint the brightest bulb.

No Animal isn't. I agree with him. We have had team unity all along and now we bring in this thug. I don't like him and i wont like seeing him in a Pirate uniform. Straight up f*ck Milledge. I don't care if we got a good trade on paper because of the talent, it just wasn't a good move.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:34 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
JimY wrote:

No Animal isn't. I agree with him. We have had team unity all along and now we bring in this thug. I don't like him and i wont like seeing him in a Pirate uniform. Straight up f*ck Milledge. I don't care if we got a good trade on paper because of the talent, it just wasn't a good move.

Sigh. He's not a thug. Elijah Dukes is the thug. Milledge wasn't arrested 6 times, he doesn't have 5 kids by 4 mothers (or 4 kids by 6 mothers), his wife didn't put a restraining order on him. Those are all Dukes. This is a case mistaken identity.

The only things on Milledge's "rap sheet" are that he had sex as a teenager, high fived some fans and recorded a questionable rap song. Give the kid a break.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:37 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
JimY wrote:

Sigh. He's not a thug. Elijah Dukes is the thug. Milledge wasn't arrested 6 times, he doesn't have 5 kids by 4 mothers (or 4 kids by 6 mothers), his wife didn't put a restraining order on him. Those are all Dukes. This is a case mistaken identity.

The only things on Milledge's "rap sheet" are that he had sex as a teenager, high fived some fans and recorded a questionable rap song. Give the kid a break.

Really?
He doesn't have 4 kids to 4 different mothers?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:38 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
burghermeister wrote:

Really?

Can you find a source other than Animal for that? I can't.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:41 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
burghermeister wrote:

Really?

Can you find a source other than Animal for that? I can't.

Animal put up links about all his arrests. If that is the case and that is Dukes i feel totally different about this. I was all for getting Milledge before i heard that stuff about him. I still don't really like trading Burnett.