Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interviews
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:59 pm 

Hope you got to see the pre-game tonight. Jack and freddie were special interviews about defense and working together. But the Adam LaRoche talk was great. They talked defense and getting hot. And staying hot. He was as easy going as he has been when not hitting. Hewent on and on and really pumped me up for the game.

Then a short comment by Duke about focus as he pitches.

Put me in coach-- I'm ready to play. We're going to kick ass tonight.

Post subject: Re: Interviews
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:10 pm 

It WAS a good pregame.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:23 pm 

I am happy that I took the vow last year to stop ragging on players. It was after the stories about how decent Adam Laroche is as a human being, and the time he spent with John Challis as John was battling cancer.

I was hard on Laroche when he struggled at the beginning of 2007, and brutal on him last April when he struggled yet again. Then, I read the stories about how much Adam did for John Challis and his family. How Adam called John, to see how he was doing.

And I realized what an internet jackass I had been. Adam Laroche wants to succeed more than any baseball fan wants him to succeed. Adam Laroche cares more about hitting, and winning, and the Pittsburgh Pirates, than any baseball fan. And by the way, he is a decent human being that I would like to have as a neighbor.

I was embarrassed to admit that I had forgotten all of that. So, I vowed not to rag on any player. That made me more patient this year with Andy Laroche.

And guess what? I like the games more. I am happier for the players and the franchise. And it turns out, get this - the players really want to succeed and like doing well for the team.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:26 pm 

P.S. Wilton will likely attest as to how hard I was on Laroche last year, how he took exception by pointing out Laroche's likely year-end performance, and how I vowed not to repeat this type of tough treatment of Pirates players.

The freaking Brewers and Cubs, on the other hand ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:36 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
I am happy that I took the vow last year to stop ragging on players. It was after the stories about how decent Adam Laroche is as a human being, and the time he spent with John Challis as John was battling cancer.

I was hard on Laroche when he struggled at the beginning of 2007, and brutal on him last April when he struggled yet again. Then, I read the stories about how much Adam did for John Challis and his family. How Adam called John, to see how he was doing.

And I realized what an internet jackass I had been. Adam Laroche wants to succeed more than any baseball fan wants him to succeed. Adam Laroche cares more about hitting, and winning, and the Pittsburgh Pirates, than any baseball fan. And by the way, he is a decent human being that I would like to have as a neighbor.

I was embarrassed to admit that I had forgotten all of that. So, I vowed not to rag on any player. That made me more patient this year with Andy Laroche.

And guess what? I like the games more. I am happier for the players and the franchise. And it turns out, get this - the players really want to succeed and like doing well for the team.

I didn't know this and didn't get to see the Pre-game being in Boston. I do know about Challis and that's nice to hear. I will say not all pro-athletes are like that but probably more are then are not.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:40 pm 

I know he will probably be gone at the deadline but I will go out on a limb and say that I would like to keep this infield intact including Adam for next season. We won with Sid Bream and I think LaRoche is comparable. What are the alternatives? Particularly defensively.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:46 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I know he will probably be gone at the deadline but I will go out on a limb and say that I would like to keep this infield intact including Adam for next season. We won with Sid Bream and I think LaRoche is comparable. What are the alternatives? Particularly defensively.

I'd be amenable to re-signing LaRoche, but only on a short term basis. However, I have a feeling that LaRoche does not want to re-sign with the Bucs because he'd like to join a team that needs a decent 1B and is more likely to contend in the near future than the Pirates are. So, given the likelihood of extending LaRoche is not high, I'd prefer to trade him so that we can receive something in the way of a prospect in return.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:52 pm 

Keep an eye on Boston, Lowell's hip is hurting again and might be DL bound...If it's a long period of time, Youkilis might be seeing more time at 3rd, making a need for a 1st baseman...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:03 pm 

Whatever happens for next year, it is for sure that the Pirates have one of the best defensive infields in baseball. Every night they are outstanding. Only at the beginning of the season did we have trouble with Andy and once he got comfortable we clicked every night since. Yes, much credit must go to Coach Hill (that right?).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:05 pm 

Bucfan, I'm trying to learn too about ragging on players. I was on Jack bad last year. Not right or fair. I'm having a hard time appreciating Morgan this season but he is growing on me. I know I've been one of those internet jerks. I'm in typing re-hab now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:46 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
...And guess what? I like the games more. I am happier for the players and the franchise. And it turns out, get this - the players really want to succeed and like doing well for the team.

You ole softie, you...

As the oldest of the old timers here can attest, I think you've earned your rose-colored glasses and minty patio drink, my friend.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:47 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
As the oldest of the old timers here can attest, I think you've earned your rose-colored glasses and minty patio drink, my friend.

ZM

Makes the games more enjoyable, Mike, I will tell you that. Now if I could just be as docile during Steelers games ...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:49 am 

You softies keep it in your pants.

Attachments:
JimmyDugan2.JPG
JimmyDugan2.JPG [ 41.25 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]