Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anyone else notice this?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:51 pm 

What I find funny about the jab about the catcher not setting up too early: when in Pittsburgh he never threw it where the catcher set up anyway. For Ian to even point out such a thing is beyond stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:04 pm 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:
What I find funny about the jab about the catcher not setting up too early: when in Pittsburgh he never threw it where the catcher set up anyway. For Ian to even point out such a thing is beyond stupid.

I'm sure Ian would counter that he threw it where the catcher was supposed to be!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:09 pm 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:

You're just being negative, Jack.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:22 pm 

I'm pretty good at saying "I told you so", and in this case I was finally right. His head will not allow him to return, and no matter how well he pitches in AAA he will not get a good return for us. Who wants to spend that much on a riskie head case? Not the Pirates and not the Nationals either.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:24 pm 

Here's the best deal-- we get Milledge, they get Snell and we immediately trade Millege for a more valuable player then Snell could have gotten in return.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:42 pm 

I don't remember what game it was or who was catching, either JJ or Diaz, but our catcher went out to the mound to talk to Snell. I read Snell's lips. I think it was Diaz. Anyways, Snell definitely said "I'm not throwing that." Next pitch Snell throws, he gives up a hit. I think it was a single.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:49 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
I don't remember what game it was or who was catching, either JJ or Diaz, but our catcher went out to the mound to talk to Snell. I read Snell's lips. I think it was Diaz. Anyways, Snell definitely said "I'm not throwing that." Next pitch Snell throws, he gives up a hit. I think it was a single.

I thought Jaramillo and Snell were the ones at odds with each other?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:51 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

I thought Jaramillo and Snell were the ones at odds with each other?

No there was definitely a game where Diaz was very animated with his signals involving Snell. Walk even commented on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:19 pm 

Interesting that Snell is sniping at his catchers. Also interesting that he has had trouble with not one, not two, but three different catchers over the past 1 1/2 seasons: Doumit, Jaramillo and Diaz.

Maybe Snell is pining away for Paulino. You know, Paulino did have a great CERA. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:17 pm 

Ian may be getting the $4M that's in his contract for next year...but he's pissing away the $16M possible in team options for 2011 and 2012.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:00 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Interesting that Snell is sniping at his catchers. Also interesting that he has had trouble with not one, not two, but three different catchers over the past 1 1/2 seasons: Doumit, Jaramillo and Diaz.

Maybe Snell is pining away for Paulino. You know, Paulino did have a great CERA. :lol:

Ok, offer him to the Marlins...Ramirez straight up for Snell...hahaha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:36 am 

Bucfan wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:30 am 

I guess this means that Erik Kratz should be called up to the big leagues, on account of his super game-calling skillz.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:39 am 

Willton wrote:
I guess this means that Erik Kratz should be called up to the big leagues, on account of his super game-calling skillz.

Game calling? I thought Ian was just going to throw it as hard as he could?

If Kratz is as good as Ian says, I guess you can send McCutchen back down, since you wont need a CFer...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:40 am 

Heard a great interview with Jack on ESPN 1250 last night driving home from work. Ken Laird was the interviewer. Here is a heavily paraphrased version of some of the highlights:

Quote:
Laird: What did you think about Snell's performance down in Indy?
Wilson: That's what he's supposed to do. He's a big league pitcher pitching against AAA guys. He should get 12-15 strikeouts every time out.

Laird: Do you understand what Ian was saying about too much negativity?
Wilson: Sure. We've all been there. I felt it in 200? (don't remember the year) when I started the season batting .180. It's easy to get down on yourself. You deal with it, show up every day, realize how lucky you are to be here and work your way through it. We've all had to do it at times.

Well said, Jack.

BM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:25 am 

Jack is absolutely correct. Ian needs to stop reading the papers and stick to netflix on the tv. If the stories from the PG are to be believed, a good deal of the negativity is coming from his uncle who has been feeding him all the BS in an ill fated attempt at motivating him. I mean where would Jethro Bodine be without the guidance of Uncle Jed and the occasional "long talk with that boy"?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:52 pm 

Look at AZBF. Getting all computer-savvy and stuff. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:11 pm 

I even did the youtube stuff by myself. No. 2 helped me with the photobucket gig though. maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:15 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Most guys get demoted to Triple A and they mutter the usual "y'know, I'll just do what they tell me and hopefully work on some things and, y'know, do what I can do, y'know". But Snell checks in and instantly promotes Triple A as the newest vacation resort.

The fans are electric? Consider that the next minor league game without a promotional gimmick will be the first. Heck, I once went to a "Free Loaf of Bread Night" at Triple A. The fans cheered as much for the Human Bowling Ball as they did for a home run. I usually attend one minor league game a year; so don't get me wrong-- I like 'em. But to jizz in your pants and say how it's better than the Big Leagues?!

I'm thinking Snell's simply a weird dude. I got a strange vibe from him the other week when I said "congratulations on getting the win the other night" and he went off on some weird fantasy baseball rant.