Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone else notice this?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:47 pm 

Ian Snell took a thinly veiled jab at the Bucco catching corps after his dominating performance against Toledo.

Post subject: Re: Anyone else notice this?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:49 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Ian Snell took a thinly veiled jab at the Bucco catching corps after his dominating performance against Toledo.

Yes, I noted that. He commented that Kratz "did not set up too early" and reveal the pitch location.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:50 pm 

I was just about to post about this myself.

His post-game comments certainly sound like they're coming from someone who neither wants or expects to return to Pittsburgh.

Quote:
"I just worked off my fastball. The guys made me feel welcome here. It was just fun to see this relaxed and fun atmosphere. Nothing against the guys up there you know they work hard they do everything. I just have a lot of thoughts going through my head and I just wanted to get my thoughts together and it felt great. I felt awesome today and they made me feel awesome."

"It's just the fans are electric here. You can tell, even though they don't say much or cheer much they pay attention to the game. It was just fun pitching in front of them again."

"I owe a lot of credit to (Catcher Erik) Kratz. He did a tremendous job of setting up you know he didn't set up too early where they can see where I'm going. He mixed the pitches real well and when I left a pitch up he reminded me you know your elbow is hanging over or your head is bouncing over. A lot of it had to do with him and I have to give a lot of the credit to him because he did a great job of game-calling."

http://indyindians.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/06/snell_strikes_out_17.html

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:02 pm 

Mind boggling on a couple different levels. That he wants to be in AAA rather than the big leagues. That he continually looks to external factors to explain his results, when the answers are clearly between his ears.

I'm starting to think that he can't come back to Pittsburgh. Therefore our only hope is that he continues to dominate AAA enough so that someone will take him in trade.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:04 pm 

A thinly veiled jab at Pirates fans as well.
Memo to Ian . . . you strike out 17 in a game at the big league level, you'll be a hero in Pittsburgh. You nibble and dance around the plate and continue to walk opposing batters and give up hits on a regular basis, you'll be treated like Kip Wells.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:07 pm 

Ian's burned bridges with the coaching staff and thrown JJ and Diaz under the bus on top of his usual whining. NH has publically admitted the contract was a mistake and that he's been trying to unload Ian for quite a while but couldn't. Does anyone really believe that Ian will ever be back up in Pittsburgh? I highly doubt that he will.

He'll end up being shipped for middle of the road prospects. I say good riddance and don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out you gutless pu$$y.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:28 pm 

Argentum wrote:
He'll end up being shipped for middle of the road prospects. I say good riddance and don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out you gutless pu$$y.

Why the hell does Snell think that there is negativity surrounding his performance with the Pirates? Mystery to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:29 pm 

If he really thinks that the Pittsburgh crowd and media is tough . . . god help him if he ends up in New York, Philadelphia, Boston or Chicago.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:31 pm 

He is a young man with some serious issues. For his own sake, I hope he can get it together. Not baseball, life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:41 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
He is a young man with some serious issues. For his own sake, I hope he can get it together. Not baseball, life.

Az -
You also have to add "and a millionaire." The combination of youth, immaturity, brashness, untapped talent and - perhaps most importantly - enough guaranteed money to set him up comfortably pretty much for the rest of his life is not a good combination for getting one's life on a different track. You have to wonder if he'd be more receptive to instruction if he was making league minimum. I bet he would. Otherwise, I can hear him saying "screw them, I'm guaranteed over $4M next year. Those morons aren't telling me what to do."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:49 pm 

And, oh yeah, if he continues to experience success at AAA . . . doing it the Ian way . . . that won't be helping matters. I was actually hoping for him to get lit up a few times. I don't see yesterday's performance as a good thing. It will only harden his resolve.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:07 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Why the hell does Snell think that there is negativity surrounding his performance with the Pirates? Mystery to me.

Ironically, one week ago I was actually in the camp that wanted to keep him here and let him work through his difficulties. I certainly was not negative towards him. My how times have changed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:08 pm 

Actually I was thinking the opposite. The better he pitches at Indy, doesn't that raise his trade value? Maybe we can dump him and his salary for some good prospects?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:12 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
You have to wonder if he'd be more receptive to instruction if he was making league minimum.

2006 and 2007? $330k and $408k respectively.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:22 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
Actually I was thinking the opposite. The better he pitches at Indy, doesn't that raise his trade value? Maybe we can dump him and his salary for some good prospects?

Better for Snell's trade value if he had thrown together a couple quality starts in a row in Pittsburgh than going all Bob Gibson on a Mud Hens team that leads the IL in striking out by a wide, wide margin. IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:29 pm 

I noticed the jab as well when I read it. Plus he talks about the "fun atmosphere and the great guys". Sounds like he wants out of Pittsburgh.

I too say, "see ya".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:36 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Better for Snell's trade value if he had thrown together a couple quality starts in a row in Pittsburgh than going all Bob Gibson on a Mud Hens team that leads the IL in striking out by a wide, wide margin. IMO.

Actually, he did have 3 of last 4 starts in PIT were quality starts Lt...

So, if he "gets his act together" in AAA, the league is so desparate for pitching that the Bucs might be able to salvage something in return without having to eat all of his salariy.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:44 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

You are dead-on right about him meeting the definition of "Quality Starts." However, I seem to recall him being in a lot of trouble in those games. Certainly there is value in pitching himself out of those jams but . . . I'm not certain that Kerrigan would have referred to them as "quality."

Just my $0.02.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:47 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Ironically, one week ago I was actually in the camp that wanted to keep him here and let him work through his difficulties. I certainly was not negative towards him. My how times have changed.

I wanted to keep him in the rotation but I wanted him to see a shrink or get a labotamy...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:20 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

You are dead-on right about him meeting the definition of "Quality Starts." However, I seem to recall him being in a lot of trouble in those games. Certainly there is value in pitching himself out of those jams but . . . I'm not certain that Kerrigan would have referred to them as "quality."

Just my $0.02.

A few more with the big league club certainly wouldn't have hurt his value. Maybe even a couple that weren't squeaking in under the wire to qualify as QSs.

I for one think Snell's performance yesterday raises more questions than it answers. But, yeah, maybe it will convince Kenny Williams or Jon Daniels that all he needs is a change of scenery.