Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Snell off to great start at Indy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:19 pm 

Thunder wrote:
I agree, this start shows nothing, other than he's a major league pitcher pitching in AAA. Where was this skill or aggressiveness the last year and a half?

I don't know ... but what I do know is that a pitcher able to scythe through a AAA line-up and give up 2 hits, 1 walk, and just 1 unearned run while registering 17 K's is freaking dealing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:22 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Thunder wrote:
I agree, this start shows nothing, other than he's a major league pitcher pitching in AAA. Where was this skill or aggressiveness the last year and a half?

I don't know ... but what I do know is that a pitcher able to scythe through a AAA line-up and give up 2 hits, 1 walk, and just 1 unearned run while registering 17 K's is freaking dealing.

It's a good start...lets see what he does his next turn...

Listening to Huntington's pregame show today, it almost sounds like they're wanting rid of him...He feels he made a mistake giving him that contract...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:43 pm 

This is the best news the Pirates could have ever dreamed of.
Now, Nh should be burning every one of his trac fone minutes(they are small market, remember?, and calling every general manager in baseball who has had any time of interest in Snell.
Call Tracy, or who ever answers the phones out in Denver, and give them the latest update, and inform them this guy needs a change of scenery.
Tell him to hold cause Minaya's on the phone with an offer. Milk this guy for every possible high level prospect you can get.
I don't care where you are pitching, 17 k's is a feat that can't be overlooked.
Can tracy be that brazen to think that under his watchful and egotistical eye, that Snell can be the next Bob Gibson(remember 17 k's, how many x's Gibby do dat, HOMES ?. That team could use a starting pitcher real bad, seems like no answers coming from Triple A.
Hope so, Rockies have good minor league talent, but the team i would try to piper over would be the White Sox, whom the Hawk says has the best talent in that organization, in his time drinking and announcing with the team.
Mets, Wsox, Rockies, Phillies ,Texas, Detroit. Toronto, La Angels, Mariners, Washington would be more than happy with adding a major league arm to their rotation ASAp, so why not call them all, and cut this guy loose.
Team should be looking as a priority no.1, a power hitting 1st basemen, lefty hopefully, but won't snub a righty there. Priority no.2 should be the usual , Pitching, whether it be as relief or starting.
Gotta trade Snell right now, before he gets another start at Indy, which i assume will be more in line with most of his starts , well 80 percent of them at least.
Don't EFFF this up Nh, throw in some $$$$$, from Snell's deal, and send this guy packing.
No more outfielders, get corner power. I am sure some team would part with this alot easier than parting with pitching.
Make the deal, NEIL, time is a wastin'.

Last edited by palushock on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:43 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I heard in more detail during the rainout. NH did call it a mistake, and continually stated "when we trade him" and then correct himself to say "or if he shows us he can stay".

The repeated theme was to do whatever they could to maximize his value for trade. They don't have any takers now. None, zilch, nada due to his contract.

NH also stated clearly that they were letting Ian go, and would do nothing that he could construe as being "their fault".

It also came out indirectly that No. 9's analysis was right, spot on in that Ian's problems are with Kerrigan primarily and Russell and NH cannot abide his behavior. "Ian has to learn that folks around him are only trying to make him a better pitcher".

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:43 pm 

The one thing that worries me is maybe Snell is a career minor league star, but a major league failure. There have been some of those throughout the years.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:45 pm 

The leagues will take notice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:17 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
The only run off him was unearned, and he walked just one - the first hitter of the game. Seriously, an amazing game. No negativity about that performance.

I view this as a bad thing. Snell needed to go down and be humbled. Now, he'll be saying, "See, I told you that if you let me do it my way, I could perform."

I agree w/ this completely. It's a catch 22.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:29 pm 

One note of caution on this. This is the same Mudhens team where Gorzo struck out 12 yesterday. NH on his show today said that we should not get too excited about Gorzo's K's because the Mudhens are abysmal. They lead in strikeouts by far, and if you are a Detroit fan you should be concerned. I think the same could be said here w/ Ian.

The other item of interest is that NH essentially said today that currently no team has interest in Snell given his salary and that the same was true last July. For most other teams they don't know if he is a starter or a reliever so they don't know how to value him. Further, he went on to say that the best case scenario for Ian is that he can earn enough trade value to be worth more than a bag of practice balls. When asked directly he said no one is currently interested in a trade that provides even a mediocre prospect or they would take the offer. He didn't "rule out" Ian coming back but basically said it would take a major attitude shift on Ian's part. He also said that the coaching staff had decided that they are not even going to try and coach him until he decides he wants it. Striking out 15 probably doesn't make that day come any sooner, so this might not be good.

I'm not saying NH is w/out spin I'm just sharing what he said today and reacting to it.