Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will Doumit play any 1st base / Rf on his rehab assingment.?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:13 am 

Just wondering while Doumit prepares to begin his game conditoning and subsequential rehab assingment. Does anyone think with the timing that he will probably return(right around the trade deadline time, and Adam Laroche is shipped out), will he get some work in the field other than catching?.

I can't understand the Suits upstairs, cannot identify there is a relationship between his injuries and his catching techniques?.

If he stays on this team, as a CORE member, he has to be placed in another position where is physical health can be protected easier.

I would really like him to be at 1b, i think with The Greatest Infield Coach in the business, he could actually be far better than people give him credit for?.
Yeah, i know he has more value as a power hitting catcher, but what does NH mark his value at when he spending months at a time on the shelf?.
You expect power from your corner infielders, he can provide that.
You want hitting and good game calling skills from your Catcher, and JJ seems to do that quite well(even Diaz, though he is slumping as of late).
I think Doumit is a key part of this team, as long as he stays in the lineup.
Putting him behind the plate greatly hinders that ability.
Wake up Neil, it's not too late to take the blinders off.

Post subject: Re: Will Doumit play any 1st base / Rf on his rehab assingment.?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:06 am 

Decisions... decisions... decisions.

What the Pirates do at first and catcher is going to be real interesting to watch. For this season only, it would be great to see Doumit catch and LaRoche play first.

But if they want to stay with the plan, they need to move one or maybe both players. Adam is almost for sure gone as a FA and Doumit may be pushed off catcher or the team in general if Jarimllo continues to grow and play so well. He's becoming a real quality player for us. He's too good to stay in the back-up role much longer.

All three have great trade value this month. What decision will NH make here. Be prepared to get angry again. I think that there is a better than average chance that both LaRoche and Doumit are gone by deadline.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:10 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
Decisions... decisions... decisions.

What the Pirates do at first and catcher is going to be real interesting to watch. For this season only, it would be great to see Doumit catch and LaRoche play first.

But if they want to stay with the plan, they need to move one or maybe both players. Adam is almost for sure gone as a FA and Doumit may be pushed off catcher or the team in general if Jarimllo continues to grow and play so well. He's becoming a real quality player for us. He's too good to stay in the back-up role much longer.

All three have great trade value this month. What decision will NH make here. Be prepared to get angry again. I think that there is a better than average chance that both LaRoche and Doumit are gone by deadline.

I have thought all along that Adam will be traded and Doumit will be moved to first, with Jarimillo staying at catcher.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:41 am 

I would move Morgan first, not Adam LaRoche. Keep Adam at 1B. Put Doumit in RF and split time with Young and Moss in LF if we are going to trade Morgan. Or put Doumit in LF and split time in RF with Young and Moss. Between Adam and Nyjer, I would prefer keeping Adam.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:55 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
I would move Morgan first, not Adam LaRoche. Keep Adam at 1B. Put Doumit in RF and split time with Young and Moss in LF if we are going to trade Morgan. Or put Doumit in LF and split time in RF with Young and Moss. Between Adam and Nyjer, I would prefer keeping Adam.

I don't think we are going to keep Nyjer or Adam. I also see us trying to shop Grabow, Freddy, Jack, Capps, and one of the three catchers. I think if we could get a decent 1st base prospect that we would trade LaRoche and Doumit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:04 am 

Doumit's been injury plagued, for sure, but I think it's hard to define how much of that relates to being a catcher. The injury this season came when swinging the bat so it would've happened regardless. I think with what Doumit's invested as a catcher, they'll leave him there for the rest of the year with Pearce getting the shot at 1B if LaRoche goes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:38 am 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:
Doumit's been injury plagued, for sure, but I think it's hard to define how much of that relates to being a catcher. The injury this season came when swinging the bat so it would've happened regardless. I think with what Doumit's invested as a catcher, they'll leave him there for the rest of the year with Pearce getting the shot at 1B if LaRoche goes.

If you remember back before Doumit's swinging incident i think he got he hand hurt while catching. The reason i point this out is because maybe that could have made him have to swing the bat funny or something.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:29 am 

As Teke said the other night during the post game, we have no one in the near future who is equipped to play SS or 2B. I, for one, would be very surprised to see either of them go particularly if we continue to play as we are now.