Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nationals Pursuing Nyjer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:21 am 

Steve1118 wrote:
Everybody here says wait until they drop out of contention, yet this team keeps surprising and hanging in there. They are fun to watch, gritty, competitive, and the clubhouse attitude seems to help a lot. Quit being in such a hurry to throw in the towel for this year.

I say to the tinkerers.....leave this team alone, let them play out the year and see how it turns out. The pitching is good, the defense is very good, and the offense is certainly adequate. It just might be kind of surprising. At some point you need to have some stability. Morgan is a big part of that.

Lastings Milledge is a head case. I don't care how much talent he has, he has issues between the ears. We just sent one of those down to Indianapolis. And, right now, don't trade anymore starters for "prospects". This fan has seen way too much of that movie lately.

Leave it alone, let 'em play, and see what happens. There is a long off-season to tinker with the program.

OK. Let the "sophisticates" on this board flame away.

First I want to say Lastings is NOT 25 he is 24.
Provide me examples of him being a head case. He high fived fans at shea and his older teamates didn't like it. That is one. Here is what else I dug up on him.

"Prior to the 2003 amateur draft, he was expected to be among the top three selections, but as draft day approached, press reports from 2002 resurfaced regarding Milledge's expulsion from Northside Christian High School after his junior year for allegedly having sex with a minor.[4][5] He subsequently transferred to Lakewood Ranch High School where he finished his education and amateur baseball career."

I founnd that this girl is 15 years old, and Milledge was in high school and 18. im not sure if there is more to this but it doesn't seems like something you can declare someone to be a headcase.

"In May, it was reported that Milledge appeared in a rap song, "Bend Ya Knees," by Manny D, a childhood friend. The song contained the words "bitch", "ho", and "nigga". The Mets organization responded by saying, "We disapprove of the content, language and message of this recording, which does not represent the views of the New York Mets."

It is a rap. This was around the time of Don Imus and his "nappy headed ho" comment and was a sensitive time for the word "nigga" being used. Really once again not worthy declaring someone a head case for being in a rap video and saying those words.

So why do you all declare him a headcase? He seems like he is a little wild, but he is not a negative influence on a team such as Ian Snell who blamed teamates and went on tirades in the dugout.

And to Animal's comments.

Prove that he is a bum, criminal, and thug. He hasn't proved he is any of those things especially bum since he is a proffesional athlete.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:32 am 

I think the Pirates should be asking about Alberto Gonzalez as the return here. If the aren't going to renegotiate with Jack and/or Freddy, they'd better start shopping.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:35 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Steve1118 wrote:
Everybody here says wait until they drop out of contention, yet this team keeps surprising and hanging in there. They are fun to watch, gritty, competitive, and the clubhouse attitude seems to help a lot. Quit being in such a hurry to throw in the towel for this year.

Prove that he is a bum, criminal, and thug. He hasn't proved he is any of those things especially bum since he is a proffesional athlete.

kids with 4 different girls?
6 criminal arrests
problems with teammates everywhere he has been
attitide problems

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/spo ... gs_mi.html
http://www.nypost.com/seven/09212007/sp ... tossed.htm
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/le ... 52002.html

just a few....there are many other examples

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:52 pm 

Animal wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Steve1118 wrote:

kids with 4 different girls?
6 criminal arrests
problems with teammates everywhere he has been
attitide problems

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/spo ... gs_mi.html
http://www.nypost.com/seven/09212007/sp ... tossed.htm
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/le ... 52002.html

just a few....there are many other examples

You make things up. Show me these 6 criminal arrests, and attitude problems. He had sex with girls 3 years younger then him from 16-17 which got him in trouble. :roll:
I don't think that makes him a lifelong criminal negative player and total bum.

Nothing was proven and he was never arrested for those problems.

Lol and you call getting thrown out of a game and arguing with an umpire serious problems? Dougie Mienki gets appluad when he does it but if Milledge does it he gets called a bum. :roll:

I think he will be a good player someday and a decent acquisition for the Pirates.

UPDATE John Perrotto agrees with me.
http://www.piratesreport.com/page/blogs ... or-it.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:17 am 

I have to say I am surprisingly against this deal. It's normally the kind of thing I would love. Buying low and selling high, right there in the same deal. And I would have been completely for this deal if Nate was still in center. But he's not. Cutch is. And Cutch's role model and best friend on the team, seems to be Nyjer. Nyjer has been a huge part of Cutch's success. He's kept him loose, he is positive, he has fun. Andrew has really leaned on Nyjer, and to trade him is one thing, but to replace him with a guy with attitude issues, is just begging for problems. What if the young impressionable Cutch replaces his role model with Millage? There are too many variables that could go wrong to make this deal. What if he starts to think "gee everybody says they trade away everyone who plays decent ball, and look at this, they did it already..." I don't want this guy to get jaded already. He has years of being a Pirate for that :lol: Let the kids have fun. I know it's fun to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:52 am 

ryann, 4 kids with 4 girls is a big time red flag. Google Sean Kemp. Animal knows these things.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:07 am 

JimY wrote:
I have to say I am surprisingly against this deal. It's normally the kind of thing I would love. Buying low and selling high, right there in the same deal. And I would have been completely for this deal if Nate was still in center. But he's not. Cutch is. And Cutch's role model and best friend on the team, seems to be Nyjer. Nyjer has been a huge part of Cutch's success. He's kept him loose, he is positive, he has fun. Andrew has really leaned on Nyjer, and to trade him is one thing, but to replace him with a guy with attitude issues, is just begging for problems. What if the young impressionable Cutch replaces his role model with Millage? There are too many variables that could go wrong to make this deal. What if he starts to think "gee everybody says they trade away everyone who plays decent ball, and look at this, they did it already..." I don't want this guy to get jaded already. He has years of being a Pirate for that :lol: Let the kids have fun. I know it's fun to watch.

That is a good point I was thinking Nyjer and Cutch seem to be good friends with a lot of chemistry.

Post subject: It's Right There In Black and white Ryann
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:31 am 

I am sure you have a different view of the world than most of us who are older, and certainly very different than some of us in various lines of work.

But it is all there in black and white. Surely, at your age, you know how to google.

And yes Ryann, sex with a minor IS a crime. Committing a crime makes you a CRIMINAL (my apologies to those here who might have an arrest). Oh, and yes, people who have done stupid things as a kid certainly can straighten out....but Milledge has shown no evidence of that. In additon, Milledge was no kid who did one stupid thing. He repeatedly committed acts like that.

To me, a guy who has tons of things like that going on, whether convicted or not, show his true colors. And how much has he done, that the public does not even know about?

His continued actions only show he has not grown up. Maybe someday he will...of course, that's what people said about Milton Bradley, and we see where that has gone.

In no way, shape, or form, do I want Milledge on a team I cheer for...expecially trading a good guy and popular teammate like Nyjer Morgan.

Post subject: Re: It's Right There In Black and white Ryann
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:02 am 

Animal wrote:
I am sure you have a different view of the world than most of us who are older, and certainly very different than some of us in various lines of work.

But it is all there in black and white. Surely, at your age, you know how to google.

And yes Ryann, sex with a minor IS a crime. Committing a crime makes you a CRIMINAL (my apologies to those here who might have an arrest). Oh, and yes, people who have done stupid things as a kid certainly can straighten out....but Milledge has shown no evidence of that. In additon, Milledge was no kid who did one stupid thing. He repeatedly committed acts like that.

To me, a guy who has tons of things like that going on, whether convicted or not, show his true colors. And how much has he done, that the public does not even know about?

His continued actions only show he has not grown up. Maybe someday he will...of course, that's what people said about Milton Bradley, and we see where that has gone.

In no way, shape, or form, do I want Milledge on a team I cheer for...expecially trading a good guy and popular teammate like Nyjer Morgan.

The more i hear about Milledge, the more i think he should be in the NBA.
I know alot of guys that are 18 and are having sex with underage girls, but most of them are 16 or 17 not 12. That is pretty damn bad. Also a criminal record cost me a career in sports so i hope it costs everyone. I have a bitterness towards ones that make it with a criminal record. By no means was i the type of player Milledge is, i might have never seen the minors, but i believe people have turned the other cheek on his off the field issues because he is/was a top prospect.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:11 am 

I don't care if Millege has behavioral problems. I do care that he hasn't been a very good player since about 2005. I think Neil made the right decision here.

Millege hasn't shown any scouts or GM's anything good since he has been in MLB with the Mets and Nationals. Simply put, I think many people overrate this guy. His bat speed seems to have declined slightly over the last couple years and his pitch recongntion is a joke.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:13 am 

I'm asking myself 'why are we having this discussion' and more importantly 'why do I continue to read about it'? Must be like trying to not look at the car accident when you drive slowly by.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:18 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Animal wrote:

The more i hear about Milledge, the more i think he should be in the NBA.
I know alot of guys that are 18 and are having sex with underage girls, but most of them are 16 or 17 not 12. That is pretty damn bad. Also a criminal record cost me a career in sports so i hope it costs everyone. I have a bitterness towards ones that make it with a criminal record. By no means was i the type of player Milledge is, i might have never seen the minors, but i believe people have turned the other cheek on his off the field issues because he is/was a top prospect.

THE NBA or the Cincinnati Bengals!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:20 am 

urbanexplorer wrote:
I don't care if Millege has behavioral problems. I do care that he hasn't been a very good player since about 2005. I think Neil made the right decision here.

Millege hasn't shown any scouts or GM's anything good since he has been in MLB with the Mets and Nationals. Simply put, I think many people overrate this guy. His bat speed seems to have declined slightly over the last couple years and his pitch recongntion is a joke.

Drugs will do that to you.

Obviously the kid was talented at one time...but his lifestyle has taken its toll on his playing ability.

You are right though. His production is not where it should be. That, combined with the other problems, should keep the Bucs away from him. In addition, we are full of OF prospects.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:41 am 

I watched Milledge one night when the Nats were playing the Braves. A ball was hit to shallow left center, a routine single. Milledge practically walked in to get the ball, so the runner saw that and stretched it into a double that wasn't even close with the throw.

Attitude and no heart while playing, no thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:47 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
I watched Milledge one night when the Nats were playing the Braves. A ball was hit to shallow left center, a routine single. Milledge practically walked in to get the ball, so the runner saw that and stretched it into a double that wasn't even close with the throw.

Attitude and no heart while playing, no thank you.

I recall that play. Wasn't that when Milledge was still with the Mets? And wasn't he pulled from the game immediately after that?

I suspect that Milledge had been so good when he was young that he did not need to listen to coaches, managers, etc. Further, he was good enough that he got away with his churlish behavior for many years since his coaches and managers valued his talent over his attitude. That background made him what he is today: self-centered, impervious to coaching, and convinced that the rules do not apply to him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:07 pm 

Animal wrote:

Yet you lied or at least never showed anyone these 6 criminal arrests. :roll:
Milledge doesn't seem like a guy that has behavior problems he just makes some dumb decisions. The point is the talent is there and he has more value then Nyjer but not to a team like the Pirates. If the pirates can get an or middle infielder then they should jump all over it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:25 pm 

Hey Bucfan,

That Milledge play was this year. I remember the announcers making a comment about how "he never learns" and "more of the same".

The guy has some type of issues, be it "head case" or attitude problem. Either way, he hasn't done much since 2005, so no thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:41 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
I suspect that _______ had been so good when he was young that he did not need to listen to coaches, managers, etc. Further, he was good enough that he got away with his churlish behavior for many years since his coaches and managers valued his talent over his attitude. That background made him what he is today: self-centered, impervious to coaching, and convinced that the rules do not apply to him.

Milledge or Snell? Just wondering. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:50 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Animal wrote:

Yet you lied or at least never showed anyone these 6 criminal arrests. :roll:
Milledge doesn't seem like a guy that has behavior problems he just makes some dumb decisions. The point is the talent is there and he has more value then Nyjer but not to a team like the Pirates. If the pirates can get an or middle infielder then they should jump all over it.

Whatever Ryann. You obviously dont' believe the truth when it is presented to you. Are you related to Dogknot?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:56 pm 

I'm all for trading Morgan...His value is high right now, and with a huge suplus of minor league OFers in the system, Milledge is not a fit for them...I'd love to see a middle infielder also...

If Morgan is dealt, Young gets more AB's, and Jones probably gets the call from AAA...I just dont know if there's a middle infielder out there for Morgan

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next