Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nationals Pursuing Nyjer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:59 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I would not be trading Nyjer at this point. Especially not for Milledge. WE alread y have logjam in the outfield. For us to trade for another outfielder, it would have to be an established guy who is clearly better than what we have and I just don't see that happening. We are only 5 games out of first which in simple terms is one 7-8 game winning streak.

Couldn't agree more. I think the trade deadline will be very interesting this year. Buying or selling?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:01 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
We are only 5 games out of first which in simple terms is one 7-8 game winning streak.
Combined with 5 other teams simultaneously having 7-8 game losing streaks. No offense, Az, but I'd call those simplistic rather than simple terms.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:08 pm 

Yeah but if it is against teams in your own division you can make up ground fast.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:20 pm 

cappscrew138 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
I would not be trading Nyjer at this point. Especially not for Milledge. WE alread y have logjam in the outfield. For us to trade for another outfielder, it would have to be an established guy who is clearly better than what we have and I just don't see that happening. We are only 5 games out of first which in simple terms is one 7-8 game winning streak.

Couldn't agree more. I think the trade deadline will be very interesting this year. Buying or selling?

What logjam are you talking about? Who in the outfield, besides McCutchen, has proven he deserves to stay there both offensively and defensively? This trade would be a very good one for the pirates. they would be upgrading big time in power without losing too much of the speed that everyone seems to love about Nyjer. Remember, for all the speed Morgan has, he still gets thrown out over 30% of the time trying to steal. I like his attitude as well, but as someone pointed out already, nice guys don't win, talented players do. Two years ago the Natoinals would have laughed for an hour straight if the Pirates offered morgan for milledge. This is an good sell high buy low move for the Pirates which is exatcly what this team should be doing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:03 pm 

As you know, I'm not a big Morgan supporter. But I really believe that a problem in the clubhouse can effect others play as well as the head case himself. I vote no to this deal. The power improvement would be nice but like others have said pitching and infield should be our points of interest.

Trade Morgan but for the right player(s).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:12 pm 

PirateParrott -
The Cubs thought that they could deal with Milton Bradley. They were very, very wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:52 pm 

I think you guys are wrong about Milledge. He has a lot of upside and I would love to have him. Weren't you the same people saying it was good to have longjams after we got Laroche and Alvarez while Walker was in AAA.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:10 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:
The PPG has a story about Nyjer being pursued by the Nationals.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... trade.aspx

What do you think?

I like Nyjer alot, he is fun to watch, but i think i would take a straight 1 for 1 deal for Lastings Milledge. I know he didn't have a good start this year and got sent to Triple-A, but he has a bright future and he had a breakout year last season. Here are Milledge's numbers from last season.
140/523 hits to at bats, 65 runs scored, 14 homeruns, 61 RBI's, 24 stolen bases, .268 batting average. I don't think Nyjer will live up to those numbers this year, and if we could get another player thrown in that would be amazing.

I did not actually see the article that Milledge was being offered. With that being said, me personally, I would NOT trade Nyjer for Milledge one for one. Milledge is the second coming of Milton Bradley. I would not want him on my team no matter what.

There is a reason why players like Millegde and Bradley never stay in one place long or rarely contribute to winning teams. If that's the deal, just say NO!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:32 pm 

You are wrong Milledge is nothing like Bradley. I can't recal any true instances of serious problems other then he didn't get along with the mets clubhouse. Of course the mets clubhouse then wasn't a great atmosphere.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:17 pm 

Nationals are reportedly stepping up their pursuit.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/06/p ... -swap.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:30 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
PirateParrott -
The Cubs thought that they could deal with Milton Bradley. They were very, very wrong.

Tabata was also supposed to be a problem and, his wife's incident aside, has apparently been a model citizen. I know the baggage that comes with this guy, but who else is interested in Morgan. People here are overvaluing him. Maybe this is the only offer remotely decent the Pirates have gotten. Who knows? But I do know the Pirates need more talented players, which Milledge clearly is.

An aside...I just read where Pinella apologized to Bradley. Do you think the players run this show or what???

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:51 pm 

I think everyone is missing the point. The Pirates didn't make this deal because Morgan has higher value than Milledge. Doesn't mean one is better than the other. That's why they asked for another player. If they get another player they want, then it's worth it because you only need one to pan out for the deal to be a success - either Milledge or the pitcher.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:39 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
I think everyone is missing the point. The Pirates didn't make this deal because Morgan has higher value than Milledge. Doesn't mean one is better than the other. That's why they asked for another player. If they get another player they want, then it's worth it because you only need one to pan out for the deal to be a success - either Milledge or the pitcher.

The deal isn't dead yet the return might not be Milledge but the Nationals really seem to want him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:09 pm 

I don't pay much attention to the Nationals. Do they need a CF'er?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:57 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I don't pay much attention to the Nationals. Do they need a CF'er?

Im not sure but Kent said that they have had center field problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:05 pm 

I say no to that trade. The Bucs are starting to gel now. If it isn't a for sure blockbuster trade............leave things alone!

Make any moves or trades after this season is over.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:09 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
I say no to that trade. The Bucs are starting to gel now. If it isn't a for sure blockbuster trade............leave things alone!

Make any moves or trades after this season is over.

Or at least until after this streak ends and they are out of contention. But I see what you mean, but I still believe that if we get a great deal for Morgan we should pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:53 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

The Lastings Milledge approach to the game...

ZM

Attachments:
1310403972_3822177034 (1).jpg
1310403972_3822177034 (1).jpg [ 131.11 KiB | Viewed 178 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:58 pm 

Everybody here says wait until they drop out of contention, yet this team keeps surprising and hanging in there. They are fun to watch, gritty, competitive, and the clubhouse attitude seems to help a lot. Quit being in such a hurry to throw in the towel for this year.

I say to the tinkerers.....leave this team alone, let them play out the year and see how it turns out. The pitching is good, the defense is very good, and the offense is certainly adequate. It just might be kind of surprising. At some point you need to have some stability. Morgan is a big part of that.

Lastings Milledge is a head case. I don't care how much talent he has, he has issues between the ears. We just sent one of those down to Indianapolis. And, right now, don't trade anymore starters for "prospects". This fan has seen way too much of that movie lately.

Leave it alone, let 'em play, and see what happens. There is a long off-season to tinker with the program.

OK. Let the "sophisticates" on this board flame away.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:17 am 

Steve1118 wrote:
Everybody here says wait until they drop out of contention, yet this team keeps surprising and hanging in there. They are fun to watch, gritty, competitive, and the clubhouse attitude seems to help a lot. Quit being in such a hurry to throw in the towel for this year.

I say to the tinkerers.....leave this team alone, let them play out the year and see how it turns out. The pitching is good, the defense is very good, and the offense is certainly adequate. It just might be kind of surprising. At some point you need to have some stability. Morgan is a big part of that.

Lastings Milledge is a head case. I don't care how much talent he has, he has issues between the ears. We just sent one of those down to Indianapolis. And, right now, don't trade anymore starters for "prospects". This fan has seen way too much of that movie lately.

Leave it alone, let 'em play, and see what happens. There is a long off-season to tinker with the program.

OK. Let the "sophisticates" on this board flame away.

You're right Steve...and besides being a head case, the guy is a bum, a criminal, a thug. We do not need a player like that regardless of what he might do on the field...and I don't believe he is ever going to establish hiimself anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next