Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nationals Pursuing Nyjer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:24 am 

The PPG has a story about Nyjer being pursued by the Nationals.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... trade.aspx

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Nationals Pursuing Nyjer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:27 am 

BostonBuc wrote:

What do you think?

First, let me start by saying I love Nyjer...but let's face it, he is not part of the future of this team. Players like Moss, DYoung, and now Steve Pearce need playing time, and we have young OF to follow.

If the Nats make the right offer, I take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:34 am 

BostonBuc wrote:

What do you think?

I like Nyjer alot, he is fun to watch, but i think i would take a straight 1 for 1 deal for Lastings Milledge. I know he didn't have a good start this year and got sent to Triple-A, but he has a bright future and he had a breakout year last season. Here are Milledge's numbers from last season.
140/523 hits to at bats, 65 runs scored, 14 homeruns, 61 RBI's, 24 stolen bases, .268 batting average. I don't think Nyjer will live up to those numbers this year, and if we could get another player thrown in that would be amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:36 am 

The offer was Lastings Milledge but the Pirates also asked for a AA pitcher named Craig Stamman so the Nats backed off.

I read this http://www.bucsdugout.com/2009/6/27/927 ... d-in-nyjer

Millings has been a head case and that really concerns me. I also love Nyjer and think he brings a lot to the team.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:40 am 

Colin21 wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:

What do you think?

I like Nyjer alot, he is fun to watch, but i think i would take a straight 1 for 1 deal for Lastings Milledge. I know he didn't have a good start this year and got sent to Triple-A, but he has a bright future and he had a breakout year last season. Here are Milledge's numbers from last season.
140/523 hits to at bats, 65 runs scored, 14 homeruns, 61 RBI's, 24 stolen bases, .268 batting average. I don't think Nyjer will live up to those numbers this year, and if we could get another player thrown in that would be amazing.

Reading through comments on PPG I think that is the common sentiment. What about him being such a head case?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:44 am 

BostonBuc wrote:
The offer was Lastings Milledge but the Pirates also asked for a AA pitcher named Craig Stamman so the Nats backed off.

Millings has been a head case and that really concerns me. I also love Nyjer and think he brings a lot to the team.

Stamman is currently on the Nationals major league team. He is listed as there 5th starter. He has made 7 starts this season going 1-3 with a 5.49 ERA, i don't really care for the idea of him that much. I think we should look for somebody that we could consider a steal that is in Single-A or Double-A right now and is under the age of 25.
I don't know much about Milledge's problems, what are they?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:55 am 

Colin21 wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:

Stamman is currently on the Nationals major league team. He is listed as there 5th starter. He has made 7 starts this season going 1-3 with a 5.49 ERA, i don't really care for the idea of him that much. I think we should look for somebody that we could consider a steal that is in Single-A or Double-A right now and is under the age of 25.
I don't know much about Milledge's problems, what are they?

Apparently Milledge was dealt from the Mets for being a bad club house guy. Ironically, I couldn't sleep this AM so I was watching Cutchs first game vs. the Mets and the Mets announcer commented "what if this guy is like Milledge in the clubhouse".

I don't have a strong opinion on this but I really like Nyjer and would miss him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:56 am 

Here is a link to a story from May on Milledge http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/05/05/nati ... -milledge/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:03 am 

BostonBuc wrote:
Here is a link to a story from May on Milledge http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/05/05/nati ... -milledge/

Well i think i changed my mind on wanting him after reading that. It seems like not only is his playing career going down hill early, but it looks like his life in general has taken a turn for the worst. He could be a good pick up for a team that can afford the risk, but i don't think that team is the Pirates.
It is a sad story for a guy who just turned 25, and had such a good season last year.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:08 am 

I think I'm in that camp too. Another school of thought in the comments is that he never really comes up and we package him for an infielder.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:17 am 

This organization needs to start looking for middle infielders now! No more outfilelders-especially head cases like Milledge!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:25 am 

First off...nice guys don't win championships, good players do. Milledge is a talented player who could turn into a star..big COULD, I know. Morgan is a heck of a guy who has a blast playing the game. Unfortunately he is not very talented. This would be a huge upgrade of talent for the Pirates, which they need...MORE TALENT. Having a surplus of talent at one position can lead to other moves to benefit your team. This may be the best(only) offer the Pirates have received for Morgan. I say take it and add the talent. Cross your fingers that he straightens himself out because he could be really, really good.

Worst case scenario is he gives Ian Snell company in the waiting room at the psyche ward!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:36 am 

I really keep flip flopping on how i feel about this, another player would make me say yes to the deal for sure.
What do you think about Ian Snell and Nyjer Morgan to the Indians for Francisco Carmona?
They need a left fielder.
Do you think they would go for it and do you think we should go for a deal like that? I have heard Carmona is on the market.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:32 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

PirateParrot wrote:
First off...nice guys don't win championships, good players do. Milledge is a talented player who could turn into a star..big COULD, I know. Morgan is a heck of a guy who has a blast playing the game. Unfortunately he is not very talented!!!

How can you be rated the best defensive OF in baseball and not be talented?

This is a bad deal on several fronts to me. How many runs are you giving up by getting Milledge? You just got rid of one clubhouse nut for another?

Morgan is proving himself a very competent MLB player. He has a future albeit probably not a long one.

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:42 am 
 WWW  Profile

I feel like you would be giving up a lot in terms of defense if you traded Nyjer. If I'm remembering correctly, wasn't Rocco harping not too long ago on the fact that he (Nyjer) was, through several stats, the best outfield defender in ALL of baseball?

Plus, I feel like he has such an infectious positive personality that a team like this needs.

Just my .02

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:11 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
First off...nice guys don't win championships, good players do. Milledge is a talented player who could turn into a star..big COULD, I know. Morgan is a heck of a guy who has a blast playing the game. Unfortunately he is not very talented!!!

How can you be rated the best defensive OF in baseball and not be talented?

This is a bad deal on several fronts to me. How many runs are you giving up by getting Milledge? You just got rid of one clubhouse nut for another?

Morgan is proving himself a very competent MLB player. He has a future albeit probably not a long one.

ZM

I know I'm in the minority and going against the stats(I think certain defensive stats are hard to gauge anyway) but I don't think Morgan is all that great defensively. Now, he got a late start and is actually probably still developing but he still makes me a bit nervous out there. Plus with McCutchen in CF you could downgrade a bit in LF and not get hurt as much.

And your last sentence is something I forgot to mention in my first post. In addition to gaining more talent(upside) you would be getting, I believe, 5 years younger.

And Cappscrew...I will agree that losing his personality from the clubhouse would be a hit. I guess I just would rather see more talent in the organization even at the expense of a great guy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:25 pm 

This is a trade the Pirates should try to make.

Lastings is a very exciting player and still is young at 25. He has been in the majors for a little while too and has shown he can hit for power and bring speed. And if we could get Stammen too it would make the deal that much sweeter.
I like Nyjer but he is 29 or 30 now and won't develop a power game and won't be an on base machine.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:32 pm 

Although Morgan isn't the power bat you would like to see in LF, at least he is making a positive impact on this team with his overall play.

We need to be concerned about what's going on in RF. I don't see anyone in the organization other than maybe Tabata who would be the player we NEED in RF. I would like to think Moss would be the guy, but he hasn't convinced me yet. Not sure how long you give Moss to crown him the future Right Fielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

If we need to make a move, I think RF is the position we need to target. For now that is.

Having said all of that, I still think Doumit is our best solution for RF.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:45 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
Although Morgan isn't the power bat you would like to see in LF, at least he is making a positive impact on this team with his overall play.

We need to be concerned about what's going on in RF. I don't see anyone in the organization other than maybe Tabata who would be the player we NEED in RF. I would like to think Moss would be the guy, but he hasn't convinced me yet. Not sure how long you give Moss to crown him the future Right Fielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

If we need to make a move, I think RF is the position we need to target. For now that is.

Having said all of that, I still think Doumit is our best solution for RF.

You might consider Moss as the LEFT Fielder of the future.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:56 pm 

I would not be trading Nyjer at this point. Especially not for Milledge. WE alread y have logjam in the outfield. For us to trade for another outfielder, it would have to be an established guy who is clearly better than what we have and I just don't see that happening. We are only 5 games out of first which in simple terms is one 7-8 game winning streak.