Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bucfan's son throwing serious HEAT
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:20 am 

Bucfan i didn't get to ask you this. Your son's fastball that registered 87-88 mph was that at the point of release or crossing the plate?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:13 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Bucfan i didn't get to ask you this. Your son's fastball that registered 87-88 mph was that at the point of release or crossing the plate?

Don't know how the gun registers, Colin. It is a gun used at the Stanford baseball stadium, and the mph is shown on the scoreboard for all to see, much like at professional stadia.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:21 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Don't know how the gun registers, Colin. It is a gun used at the Stanford baseball stadium, and the mph is shown on the scoreboard for all to see, much like at professional stadia.

I think that would be crossing the plate then, and that is really really good. How old is he?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:32 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
I think that would be crossing the plate then, and that is really really good.

I suspect that the velocity is measured soon after release ... 88 mph when it crossed the plate would be equivalent to 95-96 mph with a 2-seam.

I don't think any 25 year old pitchers in their prime can throw that velocity with a 2-seam.

Colin21 wrote:
How old is he?

Also, son is still recovering from his outing on Sunday. Threw today and he was far below the velocity exhibited on Sunday. He is going to take a week off before throwing again.

He is scheduled to pitch in a tournament next weekend in San Diego, and pitch against Team Australia's 18 and under squad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:37 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
I think that would be crossing the plate then, and that is really really good.

I suspect that the velocity is measured soon after release ... 88 mph when it crossed the plate would be equivalent to 95-96 mph with a 2-seam.

I don't think any 25 year old pitchers in their prime can throw that velocity with a 2-seam.

Colin21 wrote:
How old is he?

Also, son is still recovering from his outing on Sunday. Threw today and he was far below the velocity exhibited on Sunday. He is going to take a week off before throwing again.

He is scheduled to pitch in a tournament next weekend in San Diego, and pitch against Team Australia's 18 and under squad.

Yeah getting worn out is a big problem. I was undersized at 5'8" and when i would go infront of the scouts and to the camps they would see what it would take for me to get worn out, and being a hard headed 17 year old i decided nothing would wear me out so i kept pitching and pitching and pitching. Soon it became too much on me even though i didn't realize it was wearing me out, i would lose about 10 mph on my fast ball by the 3rd or 4th inning in games and my control became very limited. Something that was done with me that did help me out is that i was taken off of my weight lifting program and i was put on more of a straight stretching program, it helped me out alot, but that could've been a move decided by my trainer just because i was undersized.
Keep us updated, and i'm very glad to see things going so well for your son.