Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bucfan's son throwing serious HEAT
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:06 am 

Son is participating in a baseball camp conducted by Stanford University. Bucfan's lovely and intelligent wife knows of the camp from her years working with high school counselors and coaches. The camp is attended by coaches from approximately 50 universities and colleges from around the country and runs from Friday to Sunday.

Son pitched one inning tonight and I received the play-by-play from Mrs. Bucfan. Stanford's stadium has a radar gun that wife stated appeared accurate and consistent with what we have seen over the years. Other pitchers were clocked in the low 80's. One pitcher hit 85 before son pitched.

Son's fastball registered 87-88 mph. Son was throwing 2-seam. That is some serious freaking heat. Not surprisingly, son recorded a scoreless inning, with a K, pop-out and ground-out.

And son given an at bat, though he advised coaches that he was really at the camp as a pitcher only. Wife reports that son hit one to the base of the fence in RF, 330' from home plate. Coaches wanted to know why son insisted he was a pitcher only.

I saw son pitch this past Sunday is a summer league game, and I thought he was throwing hard. But 88 mph is big time heat. I am DEFINITELY not doing bullpen with son at this point.

Post subject: Re: Bucfan's son throwing serious HEAT
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:38 am 

That is great news to hear Bucfan.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:03 am 

At his age it is not out of the realm of possibility that he can "grow" into some additional mph on that fastball thanks to Mother Nature and advanced coaching. How old is he again? I would also think that he opened more than a few eyes and wouldn't be surprised if college scouts started popping up to watch him.

Regardless, great news!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:24 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I know a lab, very discreet, that can guarantee 4 mph on a fastball.

Comes well recommended from several Latin American sources...

:twisted:

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:44 am 

Argentum wrote:
At his age it is not out of the realm of possibility that he can "grow" into some additional mph on that fastball thanks to Mother Nature and advanced coaching. How old is he again? I would also think that he opened more than a few eyes and wouldn't be surprised if college scouts started popping up to watch him.

Regardless, great news!

Bucfan is obviously pleased with the update, and knew that son had been throwing hard. The upside is that schools that may have been outside of his target area now are interested in him.

Son is 17. He is likely to gain a bit of weight, since he is 6' and 172 lbs. I suspect he will end up at 180 lbs. or so. He is definitely getting attention from the college coaches at the camp.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:46 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
I know a lab, very discreet, that can guarantee 4 mph on a fastball.

Comes well recommended from several Latin American sources... ZM

Bucfan does not support having his son consult with Manny's doctors.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:19 pm 

That is awesome Bucfan. Now the fun begins. This coming Wed. is July 1, the first day that the NCAA allows coaches to directly contact this coming year's seniors. Keep us posted. Congrats to all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:53 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Regardless, great news!

Bucfan is obviously pleased with the update, and knew that son had been throwing hard. The upside is that schools that may have been outside of his target area now are interested in him.

Son is 17. He is likely to gain a bit of weight, since he is 6' and 172 lbs. I suspect he will end up at 180 lbs. or so. He is definitely getting attention from the college coaches at the camp.

Is your son now out of High School?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:17 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Is your son now out of High School?

No, he is entering his senior year this fall. All of these summer showcases, camps, Senior Nationals, etc. are designed to feature upcoming seniors so that they gain the attention of college coaches for next season.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:20 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
That is awesome Bucfan. Now the fun begins. This coming Wed. is July 1, the first day that the NCAA allows coaches to directly contact this coming year's seniors. Keep us posted. Congrats to all.

Thx very much, Az. Wife and pitching coach also prepared a DVD with John throwing during a pitching lesson. The DVD also included a copy of his most recent transcript and SAT scores. We sent out about 25 of the DVD's and received some good responses.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:11 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Will wrestling interfere with any of the weight gain? What weight class do you think he will be at next season, thats if he stays with it? The workout load from wrestling is probably doing great benefits for his pitching...

Swimming and wrestling are two sports that can totally put you in peak performance

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:41 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Will wrestling interfere with any of the weight gain? What weight class do you think he will be at next season, thats if he stays with it? The workout load from wrestling is probably doing great benefits for his pitching...

He is going to have to move up a weight class and wrestle at 171 lbs. To do even that, he will need to lose a couple of pounds.

nad69dan wrote:
Swimming and wrestling are two sports that can totally put you in peak performance

I concur 100%. Son was very strong as the baseball season progressed. He was complimented for his calm in tough circumstances. Both are related in part, I think, to his experience in wrestling.

Wrestling is a demanding sport that has toughened son, both physically and mentally. The baseball coach does not like son's participation in wrestling, particularly where the sport keeps him occupied through February, when baseball practices have begun. However, the sport is one that son likes a lot. In fact, he is as proud of his wrestling medals as any baseball trophy earned.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:48 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

My unsolicited opinion is to let him play as many sports as he wants. The cross training is a fabulous means of honing athletic skills and as you've seen, has made him a better ballplayer.

I am continually frustrated with coaches who demand year round effort for HS sports.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:52 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
My unsolicited opinion is to let him play as many sports as he wants. The cross training is a fabulous means of honing athletic skills and as you've seen, has made him a better ballplayer.

I am continually frustrated with coaches who demand year round effort for HS sports.

ZM

The only coaches I see doing that is football with taking time from athletes other sports to lift.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:20 pm 

Ryann wrote:
The only coaches I see doing that is football with taking time from athletes other sports to lift.

That is unfortunately not the case with respect to son's baseball. The baseball coach has offseason batting after school is out. Son cannot attend. Coach also begins having his pitchers throw in early February, to gain arm strength. Son cannot make those sessions due to wrestling practice. Baseball coach not happy with those schedule limitations, and all but told son that his failure to attend off-season BP meant that he would stand no real chance of challenging for a position other than pitcher.

That is why son concentrates on pitching - he will play.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:44 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Ryann wrote:

That is unfortunately not the case with respect to son's baseball. The baseball coach has offseason batting after school is out. Son cannot attend. Coach also begins having his pitchers throw in early February, to gain arm strength. Son cannot make those sessions due to wrestling practice. Baseball coach not happy with those schedule limitations, and all but told son that his failure to attend off-season BP meant that he would stand no real chance of challenging for a position other than pitcher.

That is really unfair. There is nothing wrong with having the offseason programs, but telling threatening players who don't go with playing time isn't right.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:00 pm 

Son started this morning and went 5 innings, giving up 4 hits, 1 walk, 9 K's, and 3 runs. Walk came right before a double, so he was hurt by the walk.

Hit 88 mph once again, and was hitting 86-87 mph in the 5th inning. Definitely has the interest of a number of college coaches now. 88 will do that for a guy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:03 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Yet, he's probably one of the best conditioned athletes on the team...

Football and wrestling have turned into year round ventures here and I'm ok for as long as its on a vonunteer basis...If someone is active in other sports I'm ok with it, knowing hes getting a workout and is active...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:31 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Yet, he's probably one of the best conditioned athletes on the team...

No question about that, Dan. But baseball coach is "old school." Outfielders and middle-infielders need to be quick, athletic guys. Other positions - not so much.

Further, he believes that baseball players get into "baseball shape" by playing baseball. He does not have nutrition or weight lifting as part of the baseball program.

My personal theory is that being in optimal physical condition pays huge dividends for reasons that are not even apparent. Specifically, those who are very fit have low resting heart rates - 60 beats per minute, for example. Stress elevates our heart rates. For very fit athletes, the heart rate goes from a resting rate of 60 to a high-stress level of 105-110. Those who are not fit, and have a resting heart rate of 78, see their stress level heart rake spike at 125-130.

There is no credible debate but that athletic performance is better when the heart rate level is more controlled. All players, in all sports, perform better with a heart rate of 110 as compared to 130. I have believed for years that players who perform well in high pressure are benefitted in great part by good physical conditioning.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:43 pm 

Wow, a baseball coach without a lifting program. And I thought my kid's high school coach was dumb. Now you know why the high school team is not the most important team. See you at the Sr. Fall Classic. Fallon will love him. Amongst many others.