Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crazy Thought
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:32 am 

When are the reserves announced for the All Star Game?

I was thinking about this earlier today.
If McCutchen has a really good series from July 10-12 (against PHL) and maintains something close to his current pace, does Charlie Manuel select him as the Bucco representative for the All Star Game? Is it possible?

Post subject: Re: Crazy Thought
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:39 am 

Pirates have two other players - Sanchez and Duke - who are playing well enough to deserve a spot. If they did not have those guys, then the possibility would be greater, I believe. Also, I just don't think that he will have enough playing time to get the selection.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:45 am 

Here is my order of bucs who should be in.
1. Duke
2. McCutchen
3. Sanchez

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:59 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Pirates have two other players - Sanchez and Duke - who are playing well enough to deserve a spot. If they did not have those guys, then the possibility would be greater, I believe. Also, I just don't think that he will have enough playing time to get the selection.

Bucfan -
I have a tendency to agree with you on Sanchez. I don't think that Duke will be selected to team. Prior to Cutch's promotion, it was Sanchez' spot. However, I earlier looked at second basemen and Orlando Hudson, Brandon Phillips and Dan Uggla have some arguments to be included. Hudson will be hurt by the fact that the roster will have lots of Dodgers. Ramirez at SS will likely be the Marlins' rep. Jay Bruce for the Reds or Phillips? If Phillips is selected from the Reds, would Manuel select 3 second basemen?

I don't think that it is likely but I could make an argument right now that Cutch is playing the best and most exciting baseball of any player on the Bucco roster right now. If he impresses Manuel right before the All Star Game, I think that there is an outside shot. A long shot, yes. But there is a chance . . . .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:11 am 

No. 9 wrote:
I don't think that it is likely but I could make an argument right now that Cutch is playing the best and most exciting baseball of any player on the Bucco roster right now. If he impresses Manuel right before the All Star Game, I think that there is an outside shot. A long shot, yes. But there is a chance . . . .

Not impossible, no question. If Freddy slumps, and Cutch stays red hot, then just maybe. But I suspect that Duke is going to win his 2 starts before the AS break, making him 10-5. If he throws two good games, he would have an ERA of below 3.00. Finally, he should be starting on July 10, meaning that he would have a lot of rest before the July 14 game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:28 am 

No way would Dan Uggla be on the team he is batting close to under his weight this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:33 am 

Ryann wrote:
Here is my order of bucs who should be in.
1. Duke
2. McCutchen
3. Sanchez

Here is my top 3
1. Sanchez
2. Duke
3. and 3 is a shocker to me , i will say Andy LaRoche.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:57 am 

No. 9 wrote:
When are the reserves announced for the All Star Game?

I was thinking about this earlier today.
If McCutchen has a really good series from July 10-12 (against PHL) and maintains something close to his current pace, does Charlie Manuel select him as the Bucco representative for the All Star Game? Is it possible?

NO, I don't believe that ANY player can or SHOULD make the All Star tea, with 40 games in the majors, regardless of what he does.

Personally, I believe that both Freddy and Duke will and should make the team.

Freddy is top hitting 2b in league as far as average, and and 3rd in runs, 2nd in hits, 1 in doubles, second in triples, 7th in HR, 5th in RBI, and 3rd in OPS. And he is playing solid defense despite his criticisms.

And as far as Duke goes, he is 8th in NL in ERA, and just 2 wins behind the league leader at 8-5. He could have 10 wins by the break. I think both he and Sanchez make it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:26 am 

Matt Capps may have a shot at being the representative as well. I'm not saying he deserves it, but depending on the makeup of the team, Manuel could go that direction. Remember Mike Williams made it one year with an ERA above 6 (maybe the worst all-star selection in history) when Brian Giles was a very deserving candidate.

I think Freddy made it a couple of years ago based on team need, when Gorzo and Snell were more deserving. I think it was the same year.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:30 am 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:
Matt Capps may have a shot at being the representative as well. I'm not saying he deserves it, but depending on the makeup of the team, Manuel could go that direction. Remember Mike Williams made it one year with an ERA above 6 (maybe the worst all-star selection in history) when Brian Giles was a very deserving candidate.

I think Freddy made it a couple of years ago based on team need, when Gorzo and Snell were more deserving. I think it was the same year.

Capps could make it, based on saves. When Williams made it, there was a ton of OFs competing with Giles, and Williams was our only choice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:38 am 

Animal wrote:
Jack Round Tripper wrote:

Capps could make it, based on saves. When Williams made it, there was a ton of OFs competing with Giles, and Williams was our only choice.

Capps is tied for 6th right now in the NL with saves. Also something that doesn't help him is all those closers with more saves than him in the NL have a lower ERA, alot of which are in the 1's and 2's range. Capps is barely sticking in the 4 range with a current ERA of 4.91.