Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Ian Snell situation
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:12 am 

I read with great interest the various media outlets pertaining to Ian along with comments here on this Board.

As I am apt to do . . . here is my $0.02.

Even though he attempted to portray the situation as something nobel on his part (ie, "I suggested the demotion), it is my opinion that it was merely a facade. My impression is that Ian is one of those people who always points the finger at someone else when things go wrong. IMO, the perfect example was Ian moaning about the game against the Tigers when he there was call for an intentional walk of the 8th hitter to get to the pitcher. After Snell gave up his second consecutive hit to a player who had never hit before that game in the majors, he complained about the call for the intentional walk. If Ian is so sensitive that he took it personally, then he has some mental demons. There are suggestions by Huntington that he goes about things his way and is want to listen to instruction.

I'm positive that Ian suggested the demotion. However, he didn't do it out of some sense of nobel sacrifice for the greater benefit of the team. He knew that he was on the verge of being demoted or sent to the bullpen. He doesn't think that is right (as evidenced by his comments that he doesn't need to work on anything) so he essentially did what a lot of people do when firing seems imminent. He resigned. He resigned so that - in his mind - the team didn't take affirmative action against him. Ian - in his mind - remains in control. Just another example of Ian feeling like he has to be in control. Kerrigan isn't going to tell him what to do. Russell isn't going to tell him what to do. Now . . . Huntington wasn't going to tell him what to do.

I can hear the conversation now:
Ian's buddy: "Hey, dude, why were you demoted?"
Ian: " I wasn't demoted. It was my idea."
Ian's buddy: "Oh . . . why?"
Ian: "The atmosphere in Pittsburgh wasn't healthy. My head wasn't right. The manager wants me to intentionally walk hitters. The pitching coach wants me to throw strikes early in the count and throw inside. The fans demanded production. Just wasn't fair. I make too much money for them to mess with my head that way. I needed to get away. I wasn't going to let those punks demote my ass."
Ian's buddy: "Cool dude. Nice."
Ian: "Yeah."

Unfortunately, I think this was all about Ian avoiding what looked like the inevitable pink slip and a preemptive move on his part in an effort to save face.

Post subject: Re: The Ian Snell situation
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:17 am 

I would have to pretty much agree No. 9. It wouldn't surprise me. At first, I thought that it was done for the right reasons, but the more I hear, I think you are right.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:21 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I would have to pretty much agree No. 9. It wouldn't surprise me. At first, I thought that it was done for the right reasons, but the more I hear, I think you are right.

I think this is good to #9. I also think that if Ian ever pitches in the major leagues again it won't be for the Pirates unless there are some major Mea Culpas on his side.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:47 am 

The comments that concerned me following the demotion were those from Huntington, noting that Snell will not follow recommendations about how to improve his pitching, and Snell's own comments about the "negative atmosphere." This suggests to me that the meeting involving Snell, Russell and Huntington was not a positive meeting, and that Snell simply will not take steps to improve his pitching.