Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Lost Art of Bunting
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:05 am 

Ok.. is it me or can hardly anyone bunt correctly anymore? Yes, Jaromillo.. or however you spell his name, did it correctly last night.. but 95% of the time I see players doing it all wrong.

Ok, one pet peve is holding the bat around the barrell with your hands exposed. I'm sorry to say, but Morgan deserved to get hit on the fingers. Since when you you supposed to wrap your lead hand around the barrell of the bat like that. I see so many major leaguers doing this. I always was tought to put you index finger against your thumb, and let your knuckles rest against the back of the bat barrel and let the ball hit the bat/not stab at it.

IMO, bunting doesn't seem that important to major league teams, so the Pirates should take advantage of that, and try to be the best at it.. but in reality they are terrible, just like everyone else.

I also realize it's harder to bunt major league pitching... but remember when Jay Bell used to do it routinely for the Pirates back in the early nineties. It's a lost art, and almost killed the Pirates last night.. but they were lucky/ or good enough depending on how you view it to hit singles in crucial moments.

I laugh when players get their fingers hurt bunting, b/c they are doing it all wrong. Who is teaching these guys the fundametals these days, apparantly no one.. or they think they can play long ball all game.

Post subject: Re: The Lost Art of Bunting
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:41 pm 

What value is there to being the best at bunting? Shouldn't whatever time that would need to be spent to improve bunting instead be spent on learning how to hit better? The Pirates should be concentrating on avoiding outs, not purposely giving them away.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:48 pm 

Willton wrote:
What value is there to being the best at bunting? Shouldn't whatever time that would need to be spent to improve bunting instead be spent on learning how to hit better? The Pirates should be concentrating on avoiding outs, not purposely giving them away.

Ok.. whatever you say. The Pirates are in a lot of close 1 or 2 run ball games at crucial times, when they need to play small ball. Lets face it, the Pirates are NOT the lumber company. They need to manufacture runs, and continually suck at doing so b/c they can't bunt just like everyone else (ie, the Rockies game were they were up 7-4 in the 8th, and Wilson didn't know how to bunt the runners over and ended up losing later). The problem is the Pirates don't have the Albert Puhols, Carlos Delgado, or a big bopper, high dollar home run hitter in their lineup. So, they need to rely more on manufacturing runs. Hitting is difficult.. thats why you are really good if you get a hit 3 out of every 10 at bats in this league. Bunting should be successful at a much higher percentage than trying to get a base hit, atleast 8 out of 10 bunt attempts should be sucessful IMO, ie Jay Bell 1991 Pirates.

Another point is giving away outs to move a runner in scoring position is better than flying out to the infield, or grounding into a double play, or striking out. There are so many scenarios were a sacrafice bunt is better than trying to get a base hit. It depends who you have at the plate, whos hitting behind you, etc, etc, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:58 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Not every bunt is for an out Wilton.

It is a critical part of hitting to get on base, especailly for guys like McCutch and Morgan.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:11 pm 

Although I agree in theory with Willton about bunting, to me it still is an important strategy that should be used in baseball. I think "when" to bunt is the real issue and that can be debated forever. I would suggest that bunting a runner into scoring position would be more acceptable earlier in the game than later. Again, it does depend on the situation.

If the Pirates were down one run to tie or to win in the bottom of the 9th with Cutch on 1B and no outs, do you bunt to get him to 2B?

If the Pirates were down one run to tie or to win in the bottom of the 9th with Cutch on 1B and one out, do you bunt to get him to 2B?

Situations are numerous. The debate can continue....... :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:34 pm 

There is a time and place for just about anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:36 pm 

Willton wrote:

No just the Pitcher need to work on their butting. They will use it more.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:43 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Az Bucco fan wrote:

.... turn, turn, turn... there is a season...

... says Az to the tune of The Birds...
ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:44 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

ZM

Its actually the Byrds...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:47 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

Its actually the Byrds...

Well, technically, it's actually the Book of Ecclesiastes... except for the "turn, turn, turn" part. I don't think that's in there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:15 pm 

Ryann wrote:
No just the Pitcher need to work on their butting. They will use it more.

Uhhhhhm ... I am going to pass on comments regarding this statement.