Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Neal Huntington on the Nightly Sports call in the Pitt. area
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:20 pm 

Neal Huntington is the guest on the CW network's Nightly Sports call tonight at 10:35pm in the local Pittsburgh area.

Post subject: Re: Neal Huntington on the Nightly Sports call in the Pitt. area
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:47 pm 

So far it has been all about Snell.
He said it kinda worries him that Snell asked to be sent to the minors.
He doesn't seem like he think Snell will ever start again for the Pirates.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:49 pm 

Well that wasn't very good. No talk about Doumit or anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:31 am 

So this is a copy of mine from another topic, but i thought i should also put it here because it was said on the Nightly Sports Call tonight.
Huntington said Snell said he just wants to go throw it as hard as he can and do it his way and not be told what to do. He went on to say that they want to see how he responds to the minors. If he takes the advice or if he is closed minded and just shuts it down. He said the student that isn't willing to learn wont learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:13 am 

Maybe he should change his name back to Oquendo and Hunnington will think he is someone else.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:26 am 

Snell sounds like he is already shutting down in the article I read.

Attitude? No thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:22 am 

Colin21 wrote:
So this is a copy of mine from another topic, but i thought i should also put it here because it was said on the Nightly Sports Call tonight.
Huntington said Snell said he just wants to go throw it as hard as he can and do it his way and not be told what to do. He went on to say that they want to see how he responds to the minors. If he takes the advice or if he is closed minded and just shuts it down. He said the student that isn't willing to learn wont learn.

That kind of attitude...throwing it as hard as he can...might be good for a closer...but definitely not for a starter. If that's the attitude he goes to Indy with...and keeps it...there's a better chance of hell freezing over than there is of Ian starting another game in Pittsburgh. Closing...possible...if Capps were traded...but never as a starter.

Uncomfortably...it appears there is a good chance that the Pirates will be eating about $6M from his guaranteed contract...almost 2 mil this year for the rest of the season (of a 3 mil salary)...and 4.25 mil next year. Interesting that his struggles started last season...shortly after signing the contract with guaranteed money. He had club options for 2011-12 totaling 16 mil...that if he doesn't clean up his act...have no prayer of being picked up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:37 am 

Thunder wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

That kind of attitude...throwing it as hard as he can...might be good for a closer...but definitely not for a starter. If that's the attitude he goes to Indy with...and keeps it...there's a better chance of hell freezing over than there is of Ian starting another game in Pittsburgh. Closing...possible...if Capps were traded...but never as a starter.

Uncomfortably...it appears there is a good chance that the Pirates will be eating about $6M from his guaranteed contract...almost 2 mil this year for the rest of the season (of a 3 mil salary)...and 4.25 mil next year. Interesting that his struggles started last season...shortly after signing the contract with guaranteed money. He had club options for 2011-12 totaling 16 mil...that if he doesn't clean up his act...have no prayer of being picked up.

I think that extension is why they are downplaying this right now. So it doesn't look like as bad as a move as it was.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:01 pm 

Would it be such a bad idea that we ship Snell to Cleveland for Carmona...we can throw in Grabow, while the Tribe can also toss in one of their many middle infielders...injured or otherwise...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:13 pm 

mr. crawdad wrote:
Would it be such a bad idea that we ship Snell to Cleveland for Carmona...we can throw in Grabow, while the Tribe can also toss in one of their many middle infielders...injured or otherwise...

I don't think Snell and Grabow have the value to equal Carmona by himself. He just needs to get fixed up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:23 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
mr. crawdad wrote:

I don't think Snell and Grabow have the value to equal Carmona by himself. He just needs to get fixed up.

I was thinking the same Colin...I would take that deal in a minute.