Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10582
Ryann wrote:
Yes workouts and game situations.

Game "situations"? Do you mean spring training games? I thought that you did not rely on spring training game performance for your conclusions about players being "ready for the majors."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:37 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
Bucfan wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Yes workouts and game situations.

Game "situations"? Do you mean spring training games? I thought that you did not rely on spring training game performance for your conclusions about players being "ready for the majors."


It is still a game situation. :lol:

Accept it. The fact is Alvarez has major league talent in him now. And he is worthy of a September call up THIS SEASON.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10582
Ryann wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Yes workouts and game situations.

Game "situations"? Do you mean spring training games? I thought that you did not rely on spring training game performance for your conclusions about players being "ready for the majors."


It is still a game situation. :lol:

I cited unrefuted evidence earlier, showing that spring stats mean absolutely nothing. So, no, it is not a "game situation."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:47 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
But your evidence did not totally erase the importance of Spring Training games or their meaning.
You actually provided opinions written by other people why Spring Training games mean nothing.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10582
Ryann wrote:
But your evidence did not totally erase the importance of Spring Training games or their meaning.
You actually provided opinions written by other people why Spring Training games mean nothing.

No, the authors also cited studies showing no relationship between spring training performance and regular season performance, with the one very narrow exception that I noted (re slugging percentage).

So the evidence did indeed completely refute your claim that spring training performance has any bearing in evaluating how well a player will perform when the season starts.

Do you have any actual evidence that spring training performance has any relevance for predicting how well a player will do once the season starts? (I know that you do not, since no such evidence exists. I am just trying to get you to admit so. Ryann, the truth shall set you free!!)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:57 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6215
"Free at last. Free at last. Thank God Almighty I am free at last. " -MLK


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:29 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
Bucfan wrote:
Ryann wrote:
But your evidence did not totally erase the importance of Spring Training games or their meaning.
You actually provided opinions written by other people why Spring Training games mean nothing.

No, the authors also cited studies showing no relationship between spring training performance and regular season performance, with the one very narrow exception that I noted (re slugging percentage).

So the evidence did indeed completely refute your claim that spring training performance has any bearing in evaluating how well a player will perform when the season starts.

Do you have any actual evidence that spring training performance has any relevance for predicting how well a player will do once the season starts? (I know that you do not, since no such evidence exists. I am just trying to get you to admit so. Ryann, the truth shall set you free!!)



I do.
The reason they HAVE spring training is to see how well a player will do once the season starts. Especially for the minor league players. It helps tie into where they will be placed.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10582
Ryann wrote:
The reason they HAVE spring training is to see how well a player will do once the season starts. Especially for the minor league players. It helps tie into where they will be placed.

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:55 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
Is that you trying to find something to say?

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Ryann wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Ryann wrote:
But I am making my assesment of the talent level I saw from him during spring training. Not the numbers or his batting line in games but watching the workouts and seeing how he reacts to situations in games and his physical ability.

Well, now, that is compelling evidence. Spring training workouts are a very good basis for deciding that a player is ready to play in the majors and certainly much more reliable than minor league performance in actual games, against real competition.


Yes workouts and game situations.
I made an argument, a valid one, and you cannot accept that.

You're right, because your argument is unacceptable. It lacks credibility. You're basing your argument on the results of a non-competitive, unusual atmosphere (spring training stats) and the observations of one who has no credentials and has very little experience scouting even little league talent, let alone professional talent. Why should we accept your argument when its based on the flimsiest of evidence?

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Ryann wrote:
Is that you trying to find something to say?

Ryan clearly does not understand metaphors.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4151
Location: Zelienople, PA
That's next year's English class...

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:33 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 569
Location: Springfield, IL
Ryann..how old are you?? Judging from the banter in this message board, I am assuming that you are in high school. Regardless of the age, you should listen to some of these guys..I mean, I realize that kids (and I was one once so I know) don't like listening to the older folks..but there is something to be said about listening..by doing so you learn something.

And no offense, but your baseball knowledge is in need of more education. Now I am not going to go arrogant on you or anyone else in the message board because thats not my style.. but I actually work in this game, I actually get to SEE the players you have mentioned everyday..I get to TALK to scouts, GM's, Minor League Coordinators...trust me on this one Ryann..I know what I am talking about..I got 20 plus years in professional baseball.

None of the guys you have mentioned are remotely close to being ready..Alvarez has already committed four errors in as many games and can't hit a breaking ball..Tabata has shown hardly any pop since coming back..and Gorkys, while very fast, hasn't proven he can get it done at the plate..and this is Double-A..if you put them up now..they would get destroyed and their confidence would in all probability get shattered..stunting their growth.

THAT my young baseball fan is a fact..


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:57 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
Alvarez is a very talented player. He has superior hitting skills to anyone else in the Pirates farm system. With no clear first basemen replacement to Laroche expecting him to leave Alvarez would be an obvious replacement and a September call up.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:26 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 569
Location: Springfield, IL
you can't send someone up who doesn't know how to hit Double-A off-speed pitching..what do u think will happen when he faces the best of the best??


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Curve Game this Afternoon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
curveradio wrote:
you can't send someone up who doesn't know how to hit Double-A off-speed pitching..what do u think will happen when he faces the best of the best??


I think he will be Brandon Moss hitting wise but he will have 3 times the Power.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bassoondirector, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits