Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Snell to Indy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:32 am 

Either way...I really do believe Snell will rebound and be a solid major league pitcher. Either from the pen or as a starter he will be back in the majors and be pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:35 am 

Ryann wrote:
Either way...I really do believe Snell will rebound and be a solid major league pitcher. Either from the pen or as a starter he will be back in the majors and be pretty good.

I think that would best for him but I don't think it will be with the Pirates. If it's for someone else, I hope he gets himself together enough that we get some trade value and he's successful.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:36 am 

I know the Mets had interest in him as a reliver maybe last season it was. I think they might want him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:37 am 

BostonBuc wrote:
Ryann wrote:

I think that would best for him but I don't think it will be with the Pirates. If it's for someone else, I hope he gets himself together enough that we get some trade value and he's successful.

Yeah i don't see him coming back to the Pirates unless it is because of injury.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:04 am 

Am I the only one who believes that Snell has a dispute with Kerrigan? The various comments note that Snell is worried about the attitude exhibited towards him, wants to keep throwing as hard as he can and to hell with the risks associated with that strategy.

Meanwhile, Kerrigan emphasizes use of the 2-seam, throwing strikes, working the inside corner. In other words, the opposite of what Snell likes to employ when on the mound.

I think that the dispute involves Kerrigan. Russell is rightfully standing by Kerrigan. Snell is not responding well to Kerrigan, and hence the dispute.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:25 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Am I the only one who believes that Snell has a dispute with Kerrigan? The various comments note that Snell is worried about the attitude exhibited towards him, wants to keep throwing as hard as he can and to hell with the risks associated with that strategy.

Meanwhile, Kerrigan emphasizes use of the 2-seam, throwing strikes, working the inside corner. In other words, the opposite of what Snell likes to employ when on the mound.

I think that the dispute involves Kerrigan. Russell is rightfully standing by Kerrigan. Snell is not responding well to Kerrigan, and hence the dispute.

Seems like a possible scenario to me...but that doesn't explain his poor pitching last year...when Kerrigan wasn't around.

Attitude isn't helping Ian though...it's not like he's showing any success doing it his way either...and blaming everyone else for his shortcomings isn't making anyone a supporter of him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:40 am 

Bucfan wrote:

Out of all our pitchers i think Kerrigan has helped them alot. Teaching them how to keep it inside more has been huge to Duke. My first thought was that Snell just thinks his sh!t doesn't stink and he doesn't need any help from Kerrigan.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:44 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Out of all our pitchers i think Kerrigan has helped them alot. Teaching them how to keep it inside more has been huge to Duke. My first thought was that Snell just thinks his sh!t doesn't stink and he doesn't need any help from Kerrigan.

My thoughts on the situation. Kerrigan and Russell have waited for Snell to change his approach. He hasn't, and has continued to struggle. They have had enough of his schtick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:00 am 

I'm in agreement. I think he went is to JR after the game to complain about how he was being handled. Falling out after which he got sent down immediately instead of waiting. NH said something to the effect that it didn't matter who said it first (going down) it was best for everyone.

He'll not be back. Only hope is if he gets mental help which changes his whole approach to the game and his role in a team effort. Odds are very long.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:16 am 

Thunder wrote:
Seems like a possible scenario to me...but that doesn't explain his poor pitching last year...when Kerrigan wasn't around.

Attitude isn't helping Ian though...it's not like he's showing any success doing it his way either...and blaming everyone else for his shortcomings isn't making anyone a supporter of him.

The whole pitching staff sucked last year with Andrews...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 pm 

I think you are on to something Bucfan. Also, I don't think his father in law helps things either. In the PG today, there is mention that his father in law supplies him with all the negative articles and opinions from the media and fans. Good grief. The smartest thing a player can do is stay away from reading papers or listening to the media or fans. Good or bad. This guy is doing just the opposite.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:38 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Also, I don't think his father in law helps things either. In the PG today, there is mention that his father in law supplies him with all the negative articles and opinions from the media and fans. Good grief. The smartest thing a player can do is stay away from reading papers or listening to the media or fans. Good or bad. This guy is doing just the opposite.

I don't even watch Sportscenter when the Pirates or Steelers lose.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:52 pm 

Ian could take a lesson.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:00 pm 

Ian sounds extremely immature, I'd bet he was demoted and couldn't hand it so he cooked up the story that it was his idea to save some face. I ripped him earlier this year on his attitude concerning taking responsibility for his failures. If he did tell the PBC that he wanted to be shipped out to Indy, then I'm not sure we want someone with that kind of passive attitude in our rotation or even on the team for that matter. Sure he has extreme talent, but a guy with no heart is useless in professional sports.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:39 pm 

I'm not sure I would agree that Snell has "extreme talent". I definitely think he's talented, but he isn't half as good as he THINKS he is.

You're right, a player with attitude problems is worthless.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:14 pm 

It is very disturbing that he would ask to be demoted. No one does that, nor would you want anyone to do that.

This reminds me of the Chris Duffy affair. Except Snell is owed a lot more money.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:43 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
It is very disturbing that he would ask to be demoted. No one does that, nor would you want anyone to do that.

This reminds me of the Chris Duffy affair. Except Snell is owed a lot more money.

Yes, I agree. I was one of the few who thought Snell should stay in the rotation, but based on his odd request, I was flat out wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:52 pm 

http://www.yellowpages.com/Indianapolis ... chologists

Someone needs to pass this link on to Pirate management...its a list of psychologists in Indy...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:31 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:45 pm 

Quote:
He will pitch out of Indianapolis' rotation, and the Pirates plan to provide him not only with a targeted coaching plan but also the counseling that is made available to all players. The team has a sports psychologist, Geoff Miller, on staff.

"Sometimes,a player can be his own worst enemy," Huntington said. "In this case, we have to find the right buttons to push to help Ian reach his potential."

That included, Huntington added, learning to block out the "negativity" when he does not perform well.

"The most successful players block it out. The ones that aren't able to, it wears on them. In Ian's case, for the better part of a year and a half now, he hasn't felt like he's been supported by the fans because he has struggled, and he has not been able to block that out. I think it will be a big step for Ian to make that jump."

Snell's first start for Indianapolis is expected to come Sunday at home against Toledo. If he stays with the Indians 20 days -- which he surely will -- it will use up his final option.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09177/979953-63.stm

Looks like he will be seeing a shrink in Indy...